Photo

Alcohol

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Alcohol

How often do you drink Alcohol?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What type of Alcohol do you drink?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

I don't drink for a variety of reasons. First and foremost being that I hate the taste of alcohol. Seriously, it's awful. Drinking wine tastes like drinking grape juice that's been spiked with urinal cleanser to me. Why would you waste perfectly good grape juice like that. I've tried a couple of different drinks and hated them all. People say you just need to find the right drink for you, but the underlying problem is that alcohol just ruins everything it comes in contact with. It also doesn't help that in Analytical Chemistry, my worst class ever going off final grade, we spent a huge amount of time working with beer, so that smell is forever associated with pain and failure for me.

On top of that, there's the mind-altering effects of alcohol. I don't wanna go into a huge rant, but suffice to say, I'm not a fan of any substance that influences the way I think, be it alcohol, drugs, what have you. My brain's the only part of my body that's even decently reliable, so I'd rather keep it under normal operating conditions.
  • Aevin, David and Logos like this

#17 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

Lush, checking in.

I normally drink different craft beers from breweries around the states. Sometimes cheap beer to pass the time at parties; hello PBR or Bud Light.

If I'm feeling fat, I drink vodka and club soda. (This usually turns into drinking a liter of vodka and me feeling sterile the next day.)

Moral of the story: drink in moderation.
  • Astromeow likes this

#18 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

On Christmas, I had half a bottle of vodka and a bottle of wine.  Never again...  Hangover lasted until early evening because I decided, in my infinite wisdom, to not stay hydrated while doing so.

I know better now than to mix those two.  

#19 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

I tried some Miller Lite on my birthday and I can say without a doubt that I DON'T like alcohol much at all. But at least I tried some. I guess I'm still under the false belief one drink = you're an alcoholic that can't go five minutes without a drink. But at least I can say I don't like alcohol and tried it. I had a shot of some kind of Apple Cider Wine when I was at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire and it tasted like I just ate roadkill. I actually had to refill my drink cup and drink about half of it full of Mt Dew to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. I am open to trying something else in the future, but I have no plans of drinking other than maybe a special occasion (my birthday, New Years Eve, someone else's birthday, 4th of July, etc).

@Lunaria: Amen sister. I'll take soda over beer any day.

Edited by RedmageAdam, 28 December 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#20 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:23 PM

Uh, Adam, you do realize that different drinks have different tastes, right?  I mean, your way of thinking is like if you ate a porkchop, didn't like it, and swore off all meat altogether.

#21 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

Im home from a long ass day at work

Such occasions call for a few rounds of drinks

I never understood why or how people.get stupid when they drink.

If i exceed 4 shots of real liquor, my body gets tired and relaxed. I dont feel the urge to act stupid or push boundries. Seriously, i can drink all i want but my mind still stays clear, yes my reaction and motor skills are delayed but that doesnt mean my personality has to act up too.
  • Anthus likes this

#22 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

Uh, Adam, you do realize that different drinks have different tastes, right?  I mean, your way of thinking is like if you ate a porkchop, didn't like it, and swore off all meat altogether.

Yeah, but before I even attempted my first drink, I swore up and down that I would NEVER drink. And I do realize that I only had two drinks (two bad ones). I'm sure there is SOME kind of alcohol that I would find at least tolerable, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find it. I really didn't mean to come off as "Oh I tried two drinks, hated them, alcohol is awful." Probably poor choice of words on my part. But honestly, I can't really judge alcohol over trying a shot of wine and drinking one bottle of Miller Lite. Still, I'm at least a bit more open now, not "Drinking alcohol = you're evil" like I used to be. Seriously, I even threatened to "disown my parents if I was put within 20 feet of any alcoholic beverage on my 21st birthday". Yet five years later, I at least try one.

Like I said, I won't be actually buying alcohol myself. Probably just trying stuff when I go to an event or party, provided I'm not driving of course.

• TK8305 and Logos like this

#23 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

All the time (not really but I've gotten drunk a million times this month). Selected other because I couldn't select all.

My favorite drink of choice is generally a Jack Daniels & coke, but after awhile I realized the soda is pretty horrible for you, and especially your teeth. Tried the seltzer water thing and it seems to work pretty well, although seltzer water + rum is horrid.

Edited by Valientlink, 28 December 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• Astromeow likes this

#24 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:14 AM

I am under age so I never drink. I don't know if I will when I am old enough. I have a personality which easily gets addicted to stuff. And alcohol addiction is kind of in one side of my family. If I do, it will only be in very calm situations, with friends, where they have access to the alcohol and give me some. I seriously don't want to get addicted, and I only barely want to try some. I am more open to other drugs which are sedative and non addictive.

-Strike
  • Astromeow likes this

#25 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:43 AM

Wouldn't worry about it, things like that run in the family but alcohol addiction generally surfaces due to use of other substances. Not that I'm saying drink underage or ever, just food for thought

• Astromeow likes this

#26 Bill Nye the Russian Spy

Bill Nye the Russian Spy

БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

I generally avoid alcohol whenever possible. I've never had a positive experience with any variety of alcohol.  I generally don't like to use the word "literally," but it literally goes right through me.  Approximately ten seconds after I have some, it finds its way into my lower intestines as a liquid, and causes me no end of alarm.  Why would I willingly do that to myself?

It's not so much that it goes right through you as that it sends everything else through. Ethyl alcohol (the "active ingredient" in booze) is a diuretic.

I never understood why or how people.get stupid when they drink.
If i exceed 4 shots of real liquor, my body gets tired and relaxed. I dont feel the urge to act stupid or push boundries. Seriously, i can drink all i want but my mind still stays clear, yes my reaction and motor skills are delayed but that doesnt mean my personality has to act up too.

Alcohol is a depressant that messes up your reaction and motor skills as well as your inhibitions. I'm the opposite of you - any more than one drink and I completely let myself go, but it takes a few more than that to mess with my coordination (provided I'm caught up on sleep/food).
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#27 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

When I was younger my mom and dad let me have a sip of their wine and beer, respectively. This was so I'd stop nagging them into letting me try it. I gagged- It was nasty stuff. Needless to say, I don't think I'll drink much alcohol unless I'm at some sort of social function. Even then, it will probably only be in small amounts.

#28 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

Only on special occasions like when me and a bunch of friends of mine meet up to do a barbecue and something similar. And even sometimes i don't drink in those meetings because i honestly don't like the taste of alchohol.

Alchohol makes me actually sociable, like talking with people i barely talk and just be a much nicer person than i usually am.

• Shane likes this

#29 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

Alchohol makes me actually sociable, like talking with people i barely talk and just be a much nicer person than i usually am.

This actually applies to me as well.

When it comes to my parents and older siblings all I see is them having a great time and being happy. I think it either a) depends on the person, b) depends on how much you drink and c) just how your body and mind reacts to alcohol or d) none or all of the above. I'm not that much of an expert, but these seem most logical to me. That's not to say alcohol doesn't have very negative effects (my cousin lost his life due to a bunch of drunk people which left a very negative and questionable impression on me - you can probably see that in older alcohol topics) but I don't think everyone gets angry and violent when they drink. I see it as a stereotype. It's not about getting drunk, it's about having a good time. If it ain't your thing, that's fine. It's just that like most things, people tend to abuse it and put a bad image on it.

That's not to say, go wild with drinking. Needless to say I just think it depends on the person, and that it's a huge responsibility to have hence why I frown upon substance abuse. I also say it's all in moderation. I personally can't stand the taste of alcohol straight up, so I mix it with a soda. Yes, I know it sounds gross but it's somewhat nice, don't judge!

• Jared likes this

#30 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

I come from a long line of drinkers. The only person in my family that doesn't drink is my sister. She never swore she wouldn't drink; she just doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users