Things everyone should learn in their lifetime

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

I thought this would be an interesting topic idea... though this isn't intended to be about things like "don't be a jerk" or such as that. That is more common sense stuff that people should know to be kind and to have basic courtesy and decency. This topic is more general sets of skills that everyone should, at some point in their life, learn to do. It can be from the more common things, like learn to drive a car or learn to drive standard, to the not so common, such as basic scripting or computer language.

I more hope though that this will start to get to the more hidden gems that people wouldn't really stop and think about for learning.

I'll start with a recent one that I discovered:

Everyone, (though this may be more guy oriented) should learn how to shave with a straight razor, such as those Barbers tend to use.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

I do use a straight razor occasionally but my primary razor is a Merkur safery razor with a boar hair brush.

Personally I do think everyone should learn how to drive. But I also realize some people live in cities and can take public transportation to work and anywhere they need to go. But where I grew up the nearest store is a good thirty minutes away and we have no form of public transportation. We road bikes and horses to friends houses but upon reaching the age to work having a truck (as a car is not practical out here) is a necessity.

#3 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

Washing and mending clothes, preparing meals, and personal economics are all highly underrated skills. It's amazing how many people I come across in my age group who have no concept of any of these skills and rely on others to take care of it. I'm not trying to be condescending, it's just that these are basic necessities of independent living, and there's something very feeble about not even attempting to learn.

• Jared and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

Basic biology. It's amazing how many people go through life without the foggiest idea of how they're even alive. And with it becoming more and more relevant, with hot topics such as cancer and GMOs, at least a basic knowledge of biology is required to understand current issues.
  • Magi_Hero, Moonbread, Avaro and 2 others like this

#5 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

Learning to find practical and creative uses for things you have. For instance, at work, since I'm a courtesy associate, I can't use a box cutter. But that's okay; my car keys are a great alternative. Kind of a lame answer, but meh.

• Nathaniel likes this

#6 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

The only thing I could come up with is math.

Yeah, we've all learned that in elementary school, but some jobs do require this...

I have plans to teach myself C with the "C for Dummies" book, and this also requires basic math skills.

#7 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

Two things:
How to express yourself
How to understand other people

-Strike

#8 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

I think everyone should learn basic botany. By this I mean what plants will poison you and what you can safely eat or touch, atleast for in your local area/country as well as how things grow.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Everyone should study up on history.  I mean, actual history, not the watered down crap you get in high school.  Get the real details about what happened in your country, and what happened around the world.  You'll find that your textbooks/politicians like to give your country too much credit and not enough to anywhere else.  It's important to remember who actually did what (good, bad, and in between) and make sure credit goes where credit is due.

Another thing... Accept that you will be wrong about things, and that you are ignorant about certain things, no matter how old you are.  The sooner you do, the better a person you can become.  Before people can admit to themselves that they have a problem, they first have to stop kidding themselves that they know everything or that they're not being hurtful to others.  Being a sensitive, sympathetic/empathetic person is pretty much reliant on this.  I know "don't be a jerk" is supposed to be common sense, but seriously, there are countless people on this planet that are complete assholes.  It needs to be said as many times as needed, because in order to stop hurting others, you first have to admit to yourself that that's what you're doing.  That you're in the wrong.

• ShadowTiger, 4matsy, nicklegends and 7 others like this

#10 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

The ability to see things from others' points of view. It may sound basic, but it's a skill that many people seem to lack. People have a tendency to assume everyone is just like them. Or worse, that everyone should be. They have trouble seeing things through other peoples' eyes, and are quick to antagonize and get angry at people they don't understand. It's much easier to get angry than to stop and think about how other people feel.

In its most basic form, this skill is called "empathy."  But I also think it extends to awareness of other cultures, and a respect for different types of people. If more people learned to actively exercise this skill, I think the world would be a better place.

• ShadowTiger, lord_jamitossi, nicklegends and 5 others like this

#11 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Let's be realistic here, people. Basic human decency and an education are expected of everyone. If someone doesn't have those by now, reading a forum post won't change their life and make them start learning.

plastic-wrap-and-foil-box-trick-2-web.jp

There's a little indentation on the side of tinfoil and sandwich wrap boxes. If you push it in, it locks the roll in place so it doesn't come out if you try pulling a sheet. The more you knooow~

• Daniel, Jared, LinkFan212 and 1 other like this

#12 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Everyone should learn how to not force their ideals on others.

• ShadowTiger and Mero like this

#13 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Everyone should study up on history.  I mean, actual history, not the watered down crap you get in high school.  Get the real details about what happened in your country, and what happened around the world.  You'll find that your textbooks/politicians like to give your country too much credit and not enough to anywhere else.  It's important to remember who actually did what (good, bad, and in between) and make sure credit goes where credit is due.

As an add on to this would be to learn the point of view on the events in history from the opposing side. It may sound like the same thing as you jut said, but it will really take the rose tint off of your world to see what your country and it's armies&leaders are really capable of.

People should learn how to do their own taxes, even if you will always have someone else do them for you.

• LinkFan212 likes this

#14 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

As an add on to this would be to learn the point of view on the events in history from the opposing side. It may sound like the same thing as you jut said, but it will really take the rose tint off of your world to see what your country and it's armies&leaders are really capable of.

Meanwhile in America...

"Hey, ya'll! Them AP History edumacations're so unpatriotical! Les' all go an' ban it and learn more impurtent things like Reagan! And them Ten Commandmunts!

:clap: Bravo, America. You make me so proud to be a citizen sometimes.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 13 March 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

History I see as a hit and miss.  I mean sure, it'd be nice to know what, where and when, but unless you're a historian, you probably won't have 1000 random history facts locked away in your quick access memory. History was never my forte, because it's all just memorize and regurgitate, instead of understanding a concept and applying it like math or programming.  If I really needed to know the year Benjamin Franklin did X, I have the sources to check to confirm it.

So instead of memorizing history itself, instead the skill to have would be knowing how to access information resources.  You've got a wide array available to you; libraries, encyclopedias, the internet.  You should make yourself familiar with how to USE these tools.

And in this day and age, it's pretty much unacceptable to not know how to work a computer, so that's something everyone should know how to do.

• LinkFan212 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users