Photo

What Color is This Dress?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: What color is this dress?

What color is this dress?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

dress-7.jpg

This has gone viral all over the internet. A lot of people say Blue and Black while other people say White and Gold. What is your call?

I see Blue and Black from my perspective.

Edited by Dawnlight, 27 February 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Neither. It's clearly blue and gold. o.O

• Haylee, SubconsciousEye and LinkFan212 like this

#3 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

I think it's a nice shade of "sit down for a moment and learn how to adjust your aperture."

Or never use a dumb phone camera.

Edited by Linkus, 27 February 2015 - 09:54 AM.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, Demonlink, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Oh gosh, it made its way here too. For the record, the dress is blue and black, as can be more clearly seen from the product page for it. The reason some people are seeing white and gold is due to a visual trick.

It's likely due to some kind of colour constancy illusion, where some people are perceiving the context to be something like "lit by blueish daylight" and others are perceiving it to be something like "under yellow department store lights." In the former case, your brain will try and get the objective (if such a thing can be said) colour by subtracting out the blue as a shadow, and in the latter case it will do the same thing for the filigree by subtracting out the yellow as a reflection.

So, interesting, I guess. Personally, I see the actual colors, blue and black, and I can't trick my mind into seeing white and gold. Oh well. It kinda remind me of the spinning silhouette illusion, where some people see her spinning clockwise, some counterclockwise. You can ever make her switch directions once you start to figure out how it works.
  • Kite, LinktheMaster, DCEnygma and 2 others like this

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Okay guys, I just made it a poll. Cast your votes.

#6 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

it literally depends on the tint on your individual screens and what angle you view it at. Just by tilting my screen I can have it look to be any of the two sets of colour.
The original colours I see though is tan and a light shadowed blue colour.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

Okay, as soon as I saw Russ's post I went back to look at the area next to the dress in the image and it changed. U wot m8? 

• Russ, Eddy, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#8 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

Sorry to ruin your fun, but it's light slate gray and dark khaki.

*Snort snort*  :nerd:

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 27 February 2015 - 10:41 AM.

• Russ, Jared, Evan20000 and 1 other like this

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

So, interesting, I guess. Personally, I see the actual colors, blue and black, and I can't trick my mind into seeing white and gold. Oh well. It kinda remind me of the [url=http://www.maniacwor...n.html]spinning silhouette illusion, where some people see her spinning clockwise, some counterclockwise. You can ever make her switch directions once you start to figure out how it works.

Yo link be broken, son!

On my screen, it's quite plainly black and blue, or whatever the specific names of those particular tints of those colors are.

#10 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

Spinning

Here is the picture from where that link is supposed to go to.

• Jared, Joelmacool and LinkFan212 like this

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

She's clearly spinning clockwise, lol.  Could it be that some of these links are the kind where you get a random image every time you visit it?  Because such links do exist...

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

No - some people (myself included some of the time) can see her spin the other way. I'm fairly sure it's the correct image.

Either way, I can see a hint blue though I attributed the lighting in the room. But for the life of me cannot see the black. Only gold. ._.
  • Evan20000 and JetBox like this

#13 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Over exposing cameras causes things to appear brightly miscolored. Flash trick...

Also, I see her spinning both ways, as I always have.

And now my NSFW comment:
https://instagram.com/p/znFckIG7Uj/
  • LinkFan212 likes this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

At first I see white and gold. After a few seconds of staring into the dress, the white slowly becomes a very very faint blue. Not sure what an explanation for that would be, but I'll go ahead and vote for white and gold anyways.

#15 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

It's likely due to some kind of colour constancy illusion, where some people are perceiving the context to be something like "lit by blueish daylight" and others are perceiving it to be something like "under yellow department store lights." In the former case, your brain will try and get the objective (if such a thing can be said) colour by subtracting out the blue as a shadow, and in the latter case it will do the same thing for the filigree by subtracting out the yellow as a reflection.

Well, I've seen about 3-4 scientific justifications for this. :P I've seen stuff saying that it depends on how much you're outside due to eyes trying to adjust to sunlight to monitor colors to which side of your brain is more dominant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users