PureZC's Science and Astronomy Class

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:32 AM

I figured since there is such a big interest in science and astronomy I'd start a thread around it so those that want to can learn from it and discuss anything they don't understand.

Here's our first lesson:

Asteroids:

Asteroids are rocky fragments left over from the formation of the solar system about 4.6 billion years ago. Most of these fragments of ancient space rubble - sometimes referred to by scientists as minor planets - can be found orbiting the Sun in a belt between Mars and Jupiter. This region in our solar system, called the Asteroid Belt or Main Belt, probably contains millions of asteroids ranging widely in size from Ceres, which at 940 km in diameter is about one-quarter the diameter of our Moon, to bodies that are less than 1 km across. There are more than 90,000 numbered asteroids.

As asteroids revolve around the Sun in elliptical orbits, giant Jupiter's gravity and occasional close encounters with Mars or with another asteroid change the asteroids' orbits, knocking them out of the Main Belt and hurling them into space across the orbits of the planets. For example, Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos may be captured asteroids. Scientists believe that stray asteroids or fragments of asteroids have slammed into Earth in the past, playing a major role both in altering the geological history of our planet and in the evolution of life on it. The extinction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago has been linked to a devastating impact near the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico.

Asteroids were first observed with telescopes in the early 1800s, and in 1802, the astronomer William Herschel first used the word "asteroid," which means "starlike" in Greek, to describe these celestial bodies. Most of what we have learned about asteroids in the past 200 years has been derived from telescopic observations. Ground-based telescopes are used to watch asteroids that orbit close to Earth, not only to detect new ones or keep track of them, but also to watch for any asteroids that might collide with Earth in the future. Scientists define near-Earth asteroids (NEAs) as those whose orbits never take them farther than about 195 million kilometers from the Sun.

In the last few decades, astronomers have used instruments called spectroscopes to determine the chemical and mineral composition of asteroids by analyzing the light reflected off their surfaces. Scientists also examine meteorites - the remains of comets or asteroids that can be found on Earth - for clues to the origin of these bodies. About three-quarters of asteroids are extremely dark and are similar to carbon-rich meteorites called carbonaceous chondrites (C-type). About one-sixth of asteroids are reddish, stony-iron bodies (S-type).

In 1997, instruments on the Hubble Space Telescope mapped Vesta, one of the largest asteroids, and found an enormous crater formed a billion years ago. Interestingly, Vesta is an uncommon asteroid type, yet meteorites having the same composition have been found on Earth. Could these be remnants from the collision that created Vesta's giant crater?

~Excerpt from NASA

Now discuss.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Wow, thank you so for much for starting a Science and Astronomy thread!

#3 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

This thread is pretty cool, and it clears up a lot of questions I had about asteroids. Thanks! icon_razz.gif

#4 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

*Examines big block of text*

Uh...

Thanks. icon_wink.gif

#5 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Believe me, fellas. There's lots more to come.
Asteroids is just where I chose to start. Since that was the last topic of conversation in the Nibiru thread.
We'll discuss many things here.
Comets, galaxies. nebula, gasses, stars, minerals, etc....
So lots more to come.

If you have questions about anything. Anything at all to do with astronomy or science, ask away. I'm sure myself, siguy, or anyone else will be able to answer it.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Black Holes would be an interesting topic, seeing that most Americans have no idea what is fact and what is sci-fi when it comes to black holes.

#7 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

Black Hole:

A black hole is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing can escape after having fallen past the event horizon. The name comes from the fact that even electromagnetic radiation (e.g. light) is unable to escape, rendering the interior invisible. However, black holes can be detected if they interact with matter outside the event horizon, for example by drawing in gas from an orbiting star. The gas spirals inward, heating up to very high temperatures and emitting large amounts of radiation in the process.

While the idea of an object with gravity strong enough to prevent light from escaping was proposed in the 18th century, black holes, as presently understood, are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, developed in 1916. This theory predicts that when a large enough amount of mass is present within a sufficiently small region of space, all paths through space are warped inwards towards the center of the volume, forcing all matter and radiation to fall inward.

While general relativity describes a black hole as a region of empty space with a pointlike singularity at the center and an event horizon at the outer edge, the description changes when the effects of quantum mechanics are taken into account. Research on this subject indicates that, rather than holding captured matter forever, black holes may slowly leak a form of thermal energy called Hawking radiation.

However, the final, correct description of black holes, requiring a theory of quantum gravity, is unknown.

~Excerpt from Wikipedia

There are many types of black holes and vary in sizes.

Black holes can have any mass. Since the gravitational force of a body on itself, at the surface of a body of any shape, increases in inverse proportion to its characteristic lengthscale squared (as volume-2/3 ), an object of any shape and mass that is sufficiently compressed will collapse under its own gravity and form a black hole. However, when black holes form naturally, only a few mass ranges are realistic.

Black holes can be divided into several size categories:
  • Supermassive black holes that contain millions to billions of times the mass of the sun are believed to exist in the center of most galaxies, including our own Milky Way. They are thought to be responsible for active galactic nuclei.
  • Intermediate-mass black holes, whose size is measured in thousands of solar masses, may exist. Intermediate-mass black holes have been proposed as a possible power source for ultra-luminous X ray sources.
  • Stellar-mass black holes have masses ranging from about 1.5-3.0 solar masses (the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit) to 15 solar masses. These black holes are created by the collapse of individual stars. Stars above about 20 solar masses may collapse to form black holes; the cores of lighter stars form neutron stars or white dwarf stars. In all cases some of the star's material is lost (blown away during the red giant stage for stars that turn into white dwarfs, or lost in a supernova explosion for stars that turn into neutron stars or black holes).
  • Micro black holes, which have masses at which the effects of quantum mechanics are expected to become very important. This is usually assumed to be near the Planck mass. Alternatively, the term micro black hole or mini black hole may refer to any black hole with mass much less than that of a star. Black holes of this type have been proposed to have formed during the Big Bang (primordial black holes), but no such holes have been detected as of 2008. NASA's GLAST satellite, to be launched in 2008, will search for such primordial black holes as one of its tasks.
Astrophysicists expect to find stellar-mass and larger black holes, because a stellar mass black hole is formed by the gravitational collapse of a star of 20 or more solar masses at the end of its life, and can then act as a seed for the formation of a much larger black hole.

Micro black holes might be produced by:
  • The Big Bang, which produced pressures far larger than that of a supernova and therefore sufficient to produce primordial black holes without needing the powerful gravity fields of collapsing large stars.
  • High-energy particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), if certain non-standard assumptions are correct (typically, an assumption of large extra dimensions). However, any black holes produced in such a manner will evaporate practically instantaneously if Hawking Radiation works as predicted, thus posing no danger to Earth.

~Excerpt from Wikipedia

Nothing can escape a black hole. Not even light. Hence the term "Black". Since not even light can escape it, it is literly a "black" area of space.

There is a whole bunch on these you can read on HERE. Which is where some of this came from.

#8 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

Oh, thanks. I thought you were going to do this once a week though.

#9 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Nah. It doesn't have to be that way. There is just too much to talk about to do it just once a week.

So, yeah. Anything on your mind? Spill it.

#10 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Binary star systems would be nice. icon_razz.gif

I like this thread.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Wow, so technically, Black Holes can only exist if Einstien's theory of relitivity is true. If it's not, and the graviton theory of gravity is true, then wouldn't that mean black holes wouldn't be black?

#12 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

I'm gonna assume Einstein's theory of relativity is true, it all works at the moment.( And proves the big bang, a thank ya'll very much. icon_wink.gif )

His theory of relativity also allows for, but does not prove "White Holes", holes that spontaneously spit the matter the Black Holes suck up. I'd like to learn more about those, if you wouldn't mind.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Mar 6 2008, 08:37 PM) View Post

His theory of relativity also allows for, but does not prove "White Holes", holes that spontaneously spit the matter the Black Holes suck up. I'd like to learn more about those, if you wouldn't mind.

Although they are just a theory, I would very much like to learn about these too. And actually, I think Einstien's theory does support the existance of white holes.

Edit: How does the Theory of Relitivity prove the Big Bang? Einstien didn't even believe in it.

Edited by russadwan, 06 March 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#14 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(russadwan @ Mar 6 2008, 09:44 PM) View Post

Although they are just a theory, I would very much like to learn about these too. And actually, I think Einstien's theory does support the existance of white holes.

Yes, it does support it.

QUOTE(russadwan @ Mar 6 2008, 09:44 PM) View Post

Edit: How does the Theory of Relitivity prove the Big Bang? Einstien didn't even believe in it.

Well, the theory of relativity states that all mass will seek other mass via gravity, so the entire universe would be pulling together to the center and would be on a collision course that would destroy everything. Einstein knew that this wasn't happening, so he theorized another force, equal to or stronger than gravity pushing away from the center of the universe. He died before figuring out what that was.

Now, the only thing that makes sense that's pushing us apart is an explosion, still in progress. This is the explosion of the big bang.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Mar 6 2008, 08:58 PM) View Post

Now, the only thing that makes sense that's pushing us apart is an explosion, still in progress. This is the explosion of the big bang.

Well, it could be that. Or it could be something else, such as the second law of therodynamics (sorry if that's spelled wrong, but it's late at night and I can't think well).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users