Photo

Screenshot of the Week 290

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (45 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ May 7 2010, 08:42 AM) View Post
Hey, thanks for doing that Radien...FWIW, you quoted me saying "not a chance" on drawing something--I was referring to drawing the mouth of the alligator opening and closing, that's not something I could do (or it's hard enough I don't want to try)...I actually said I could draw the fish just floating there, since as you say, that's not a hard one. But I'm happy to take these that you have kindly done and donated already.

Whoops. You're right. I obviously mixed up the two quotes.

Well, please enjoy the fish anyway. icon_smile.gif I submitted them to the database, BTW.

QUOTE(Jupiter @ May 7 2010, 08:42 AM) View Post
Oh, I wouldn't argue with this in general. I mean the new tiles you donated here will probably look a lot better for these reasons. But in some cases I'm quite happy to "get away with it". Somethings are "close enough for government work", and while I wouldn't discourage anyone from tending to details, using the stream fish in a pond or open water is definitely "close enough for government work this hobby."

Suit yourself. Personally, if I only had the original fish shadows, I'd be perfectly content to not have visible fish in the quest's lakes and ponds, etc. After all, most Zelda games don't have visible fish in regular bodies of water, anyway.

About image size: I checked again, and this time cremeen's shot shows up as the same size when I "view image." In other words, big in both views. I don't know why I had a discrepancy earlier, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't zoomed out.

Anyway, I agree with Sheik: a size limit might make sense. If more people used larger images, it'd make sense to continue allowing them, but as it stands, the discrepancy tends to throw things off.

#32 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:31 PM

I'm game for a standard image width in SotW; I really do like for SotW to be as professional as possible and I agree that larger images do tend to throw off the flow of the post. It also makes sense from a pragmatic standpoint because the main page is only formatted to accept "standard" size images.

#33 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ May 7 2010, 08:31 PM) View Post

I'm game for a standard image width in SotW; I really do like for SotW to be as professional as possible and I agree that larger images do tend to throw off the flow of the post. It also makes sense from a pragmatic standpoint because the main page is only formatted to accept "standard" size images.

Do you think it would be better to have a standard width, or a maximum width?

Naturally, height doesn't matter much. If you ignore height, people don't have to worry much about whether the inclusion or exclusion of a subscreen alters the height.

#34 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 8 2010, 01:43 PM) View Post
Do you think it would be better to have a standard width, or a maximum width?
I don't think the distinction matters very much, but to get the correct aspect ratio the screen width would have to be a multiple of 256 pixels. Plus, by default ZC should take the correct size shots anyway, so it's really hardly any trouble to get shots that are that size.
QUOTE(Radien @ May 8 2010, 01:43 PM) View Post
Naturally, height doesn't matter much. If you ignore height, people don't have to worry much about whether the inclusion or exclusion of a subscreen alters the height.
Exactly, as long as the image is scaled correctly, height will take care of itself.

#35 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ May 8 2010, 12:21 PM) View Post
I don't think the distinction matters very much, but to get the correct aspect ratio the screen width would have to be a multiple of 256 pixels

True, but if a shot were resized to something that isn't a multiple of 256, the individual shot would suffer (it would either become blurry or jagged), and yet it wouldn't necessarily mess up the contest thread.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ May 8 2010, 12:21 PM) View Post
Plus, by default ZC should take the correct size shots anyway, so it's really hardly any trouble to get shots that are that size.

There are two exceptions where the user has to show some foresight:
  1. Shots where the entrant used "Alt-PrtScn" instead of F12 (these are rare but they mess up the dimensions by including the window frame and title bar)
  2. Entrants using ZQuest in Large Mode, which doubles the size of the screenshot
So yeah, usually it's a no-brainer, but it isn't impossible to stumble across a simple-but-incorrect method that still produces a viewable image.

#36 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Yoshidude - 8 votes = [21.05%]
cremeens1000 - 9 votes = [23.68%]
Jupiter - 21 votes = [55.26%]
Total Votes: 38

Jupiter
IPB Image
Lost your ocarina? Careful! You know how Captain Hook got his name...

Congratulations to Jupiter on yet another SotW victory!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users