Full Link Tile Modifiers

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

I searched through this forum and found nothing but a bunch of unanswered questions, so...

How do I properly set up the Full Link Tile Modifiers and show me screenshots as an example. I know it has to do with the numbers in the Link Tile Mod box for the swords in the Item Sprites list, but I need to see an example on how to set them up.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

I guess just ask Shoelace. icon_shrug.gif

#3 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

With Shoelace's help and some trial and error, I learned how to manage the Full Link Tile Modifiers. To save other questmakers some time, I'll try to help them out with this thread.

All of the items in the game, save for the Magic and Mirror Shields, have a Link Tile Mod of 0. Magic Shield has 10, and Mirror Shield has -10. First off, a Link Tile Mod of 0 means no change in Link's sprites, from what I've seen. That means, if, say, a boomerang has a Link Tile Mod of 0, there's no change in Link's appearance.

You've probably noticed that there were two separate groups of tiles that involve Link holding the Magic and Mirror shields. By default, the first sprite with Link's Magic Shield is 30, in the classic tileset. Since the Link Tile Mod 0 starts at tile 20, the Link Tile Mod should be 10.

The Mirror Shield's Link Tile Mod should be -10. That means you go back 10 tiles from tile 20. The first tile with Link's Mirror Shield sprites should be on tile 10.

Here's the full use of it, though. Simply turning on Full Link Tile modifiers will alter the sprites. The Link Tile Mod affects a row of 5 tiles, including the tile that's marked as the Link Tile Mod (by default, the Magic Shield's Link Tile Mod of 10 will affect tiles 30-34, while the Mirror Shield's Link Tile Mod of -10 affects tiles 10-14). These five tiles in order should be like this:

Right-facing Link sprite 1, Right-facing Link sprite 2, Down-facing Link sprite 1, Down-facing Link sprite 2, Up-facing Link sprite.

Now, this affects Link's swimming and diving tiles, too. Same thing applies, though. Make sure you have some space for your swimming tiles, though. With Full Link Tile Modifiers active, Link will need more sets of swimming sprites. For the Magic Shield, it has a Link Tile Mod of 10. That means your first swimming tile for Magic Shield Link should be 10 tiles after the tile you set swimming sprites for in the Weapons/Misc. sprites section. You need room for at least 10 tiles in a row.

Ok, now I have one more question. How do I change the stabbing sprites (as well as others that don't involve simply moving)?

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

I thought that full Link Tile mods included stab/slash sprites...

#5 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

I thought the same, but when I experimented with a different-looking stabbing sprite, I still got the original stabbing sprites. Also, if the stabbing sprites worked with it, I should've been able to see a problem while having the Magic Shield equipped, because I didn't copy the stabbing sprites with the Walking w/ Magic Shield sprites. icon_shrug.gif

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:10 PM

Are you using the betas? I think that it doesn't effect slash in 2.10, but it may or may not in the betas...

#7 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

I'm using the original 2.10. I have no clue how the betas would affect the New Link Tile Mod rule, right now, though.

#8 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Sep 26 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post

I'm using the original 2.10. I have no clue how the betas would affect the New Link Tile Mod rule, right now, though.

No different than 2.10, except for the extended Link tiles. Instead of adding, say, 4 tiles to the Link Tile Mod, you add 24. It's base-to-base, meaning it skips a row for the upper-part of Link's sprite

At least, I think that's how it works

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

With the newer betas it's a lot easier, you can move your whole link sprites wherever you want, and have say 3 rows for before the shield, 3 rows for wooden shield etc. Makes things a lot easier.

#10 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

The stab sprites are part of the Tile mod sequence.

You may have just forgotten to copy and/or change those as well.

You're sprites should look similar to these:
IPB Image

As you can see, the stab sprites are there on the top row, on the right side.

#11 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:29 AM

Like I said, though. I already changed one of the stab sprites for one of the Link Tile Mods, and it didn't show up. I have the stabbing sprites set up exactly the same way you have yours. In fact, if the stabbing sprites were affected, I would've taken notice when I had the Magic Shield equipped, because then those stabbing tiles would've been messed up, due to the current placement of the walking tiles (and I didn't have stabbing sprites next to those).

Bug in the program, maybe?

Edited by Animus01, 27 September 2007 - 07:29 AM.

#12 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

Yes. I believe it is.

Now that you mention it, I remember running into that issue while I was building LR3. I scraped the idea when I noticed they didn't when I knew they were set right.

In 2.10, for some reason the stab sprites do not change with the Tile Mods.
The one I have there is in 2.5. They work in that.

#13 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

If I were to attempt to open the quest in one of the betas, then recheck the Full Link Tile Mods rule, would the stabbing sprites work? A similar solution did help with the BS Zelda Animation rule (except it was creating a new quest file, altogether), but would anyone know if saving the quest in a build where the Full Link Tile Mods work fully would help get them to work in 2.10?

#14 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

That's a good question.

I say give it a try. What can it hurt? Just don't forget to back it up before you do so just in case it screws it all up.

#15 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:23 AM

Nope. It didn't work at all. It's a good thing I saved it as a backup quest file, because saving as 2.10 in 2.5b254 changed up all of the monsters and "unfixed" the Link Tile Mods. icon_aggravated.gif I know it worked in b254, since I tested out the same quest, and I got the desired results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users