Link color cycling

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NeoMasterZX

NeoMasterZX

Max Bombing!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

So I'm making a quest where at one point everything goes all game boy and changes to a grayscale

but I have no idea how palette cycling works so link is still in color. can any one help? 

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

Giving Link a Ring item which uses a grayscale CSet is what you want to do.

The Blue, Red and Gold rings change Link's CSet, so you could edit one of those items or create a new ring. You probably want a ring that doesn't increase Link's defense.

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 NeoMasterZX

NeoMasterZX

Max Bombing!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

I understand how ring palettes work and that's definitely not gonna work because once link gets the ring he's stuck with or or it just won't even register if it's a lower level. There's a a rather screwy method called Palette Cycling that can change links colors without the use of items, problem is I have no idea how to set that up, hence this thread. Exate's Pessimistic Pizza quest contains a few good examples of what I'm talking about.  

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Ah, well, maybe this post can help get you started:

http://www.purezc.ne...=69474&p=989244

#5 NeoMasterZX

NeoMasterZX

Max Bombing!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

It's good to know and I thank you for your help, but I'm not sure that answers my question.

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

Wait, do you want Link to stay in color, or do you want his CSet to change to grayscale only in certain (grayscale) DMaps?

From what I remember, palette cycling is only used for constantly changing colors (like creating a flowing waterfall without animation frames), so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Edited by Lightwulf, 02 June 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#7 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:37 AM

You could maybe get away with giving an item with a Link Tile Modfiier that shifts him over to an (8-bit) grayscale set of tiles?

• Lightwulf likes this

#8 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, I don't think the item that changes Link's sprite has to be a ring. I may be mistaken, but I think it could be anything. All you need is a script which gives him a dummy item which does nothing but change the sprite when he enters the damp, and takes it away when he leaves
  • Lightwulf likes this

#9 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

Or possibly just have link start with it, and then disable it on every dmap you want color in.

#10 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

Load the alternate Link colors into the level palette's cycle 0 CSet. In any column in the cycle dialog, enter
CSet 6
First 0
Last F
Count 1
Speed 0

#11 NeoMasterZX

NeoMasterZX

Max Bombing!

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

Thank you all for your help! Saffith you answered the question! I'll have to remember this it's pretty useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users