Look'n forward to the release.

#17 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

Why not brown sleeves? Why do they have to be green? icon_blah.gif

Lookin' good! Only complaint is that you should remove the shield on the second shot, to make it look more natural.

#18 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

"You got Ocarina"

How about fixing that grammar there. It was never like that in any other Zelda game.

#19 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Hmm.... thanks Moonwhisper, that makes sense! icon_thumbsup.gif

Oh and enough of the bad grammar suspicions. The only "bad grammar" you see in the whole quest are those item boxes and they are intentional.

#20 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(Sacred Nym @ Jun 17 2007, 09:28 PM) View Post

"You got Ocarina"

How about fixing that grammar there. It was never like that in any other Zelda game.

Excuse me? Let's turn back the clock a little...

From 1st and 2nd Quest:

"Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in."
"Digdogger hates certain kind of sound."
"If you go in the direction of the arrow."
"Master using it and you can have this." (Not gramatically incorrect, yet worded rather weirdly)

From Link's Awakening:

"You got the Frog's Song of Soul! It's a very moving tune-- it can even liven up unliving things!"

Erm, yeah. The Legend of Zelda franchise isn't the best place to complain about grammar. icon_superevil.gif

Anyway, about the screens... They look wonderful, though I'm *almost* skeptical about the custom boss... Looking at the screenie, I'm thinking, "Does he DO anything??" ...But considering the quest is extremely well thought-out and carefully designed without being rushed, I shouldn't be worried. The subscreen is perfect to the level that only a veteran artisan could achieve; wonderful job. The other screens are just alright, though I like the sky fortress (with the one Lynel) quite a bit.

You've got my expectations for this quest set pretty high, you've been warned. When it's released and I play through it, expect me to become very critical. I look forward to sampling the excellence of two veteran designers. --Schwa

#21 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

Schwa, the custom bosses in Lost Isle are more than just "summoners" (summoner meaning a big sprite floating around and summonign random enemies). Whenever I create a custom boss, I want it to feel better than a basic battle. There aren't custom bosses in every dungeon in LI, but my motto is quality over quantity. icon_smile.gif

And what comes to criticism, constructive criticism is something I always love to read. Even though I have great confidence in my quest making abilities, I still have a lot to improve, and the best way for me to get better is to to get feedback and criticism. But also try to be fair with all criticism. Don't go overboeard just because LI is an anticipated quest.

#22 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

Well, I gotta say, I can't wait for this one.

#23 Solarrain4

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'm glad to see the quest is nearing completion ^_^

You two keep it up, and I hope the quest is as great as it seems to be icon_wink.gif

#24 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:18 PM

(to Petoe) Well, of course the criticism would be constructive... I am the enemy of flamers. icon_razz.gif What I meant is, seeing as how everybody is talking about how great Lost Isle is going to be, I'm going to look extra hard to see if LI actually is as great as people are making it out to be. MMDWR was awesome in terms of effort and guts design, but lacked perfect level design (the level design was still good, but it wasn't perfect), whereas DFW's quests are more of the opposite; perfect level design without all the cutscene-type guts work which made MMDWR shine the most. I've always believed, not just in ZC but in any game designing instance, that level design is THE MOST important aspect you can put forth into a production, which is why I always preferred HDDC over MMDWR for example. Guts work is more like a "Score Multiplier"; without the right core work, it doesn't bring out the brunt of its excellence where it is used. But if LI, being the combined showcase of yourself and HDDC's author's very best, shows me that you've integrated perfect level design AND perfect guts work to compliment each-other, I will be satisfied to the point of reaching a state of soul-completion.

I am sending you a PM only slightly regarding this reply, but even so, read this thread reply first if you can help it. icon_smile.gif

--Schwa

#25 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

"You got the Frog's Song of Soul! It's a very moving tune-- it can even liven up unliving things!"

...and what's the error in this quote? icon_eyebrow.gif

#26 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

Yeah SD's got a point, that quote seems fine to me.

BTW: Peteo POST MORE SCREENIES!!! please.

#27 Johan

Johan

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 18 2007, 07:18 PM) View Post

MMDWR was awesome in terms of effort and guts design, but lacked perfect level design (the level design was still good, but it wasn't perfect

It is ammazing how opinions can differ!! icon_eek.gif
I think MMDWR is the exact opposite. The levels in MMDWR are brilliant and fun but it was just too hard for many people and I think that is the reason why it never reached the popularity of Darkflamewolf's quests. I talked to Petoe once and he said he is good with level design and Darkflamewolf is good with overworld design. When you put the best level designer and best overworld designer together to make a quest, that quest cannot be anything but amazing. icon_wink.gif

All these questions seen in this thread are good but the most important one is lacking. Will Lost Isle be the best quest ever? It sure does look like it will be.

#28 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Johan @ Jun 19 2007, 03:48 PM) View Post

It is ammazing how opinions can differ!! icon_eek.gif
I think MMDWR is the exact opposite. The levels in MMDWR are brilliant and fun but it was just too hard for many people and I think that is the reason why it never reached the popularity of Darkflamewolf's quests. I talked to Petoe once and he said he is good with level design and Darkflamewolf is good with overworld design. When you put the best level designer and best overworld designer together to make a quest, that quest cannot be anything but amazing. icon_wink.gif
All these questions seen in this thread are good but the most important one is lacking. Will Lost Isle be the best quest ever? It sure does look like it will be.

It can't be anything but amazing, except if the overworld-er makes the dungeons and the dungeon-er makes the overworlds...

On topic (or on quote), MMDWRDC really had great dungeon layout from what I saw. Level3 was a little LoZ-ish but Level 1&2 was far too awesome. And hard. Some places felt like an armageddon challenge. For example the caves whiches were full of digdoggers. That's why I think that Lost Isle will be really hard, too.

As for relative quality, I would be satisfied even if it were a little worse than MMDWRDC. Not like it would be a low standard, I like only HoD better than MMDWRDC.
However... The beta features will surely make this quest own all 2.10 quests. I suspect almost everybody disagrees on the dominance of features over story, graphics and layout, though.

#29 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

Gah, don't be hyping it up so insane in your mind that it can't possibly acheive your expectations. That's what kills quests! (and movies, and games, etc.) Yes, it'll be good. Yes, we are combining out best talents together to make something that we are both proud of and of excellent quality. But just enjoy it for what it is: FREE entertainment made for the sole purpose of your enjoyment. Nothing more. icon_razz.gif Be glad you don't have to pay for this $hit. icon_smile.gif
As for the difficulty, there is nothing crazy like digdoggers in a cave early in the quest. As I said, the quest has a difficulty curve that MMDWR didn't necessarily have (it was haphazard). This one is gradual and then steeps hard towards the end. So be prepared. But also don't expect insane-ness like you've seen before.

#30 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

You said it pretty well, Wolfie. icon_smile.gif

For all you who are wondering if Lost Isle will be the best thing ever, my answer is: I don't know, and I don't care.
In my opinion Lost Isle has a professional feel to it, and all of our testers seem to like the quest. But the style of the quest alone can be a turn-off for some players, so I cannot make any guarantees that everyone will love the quest. If for some reason people will not like the dark and gloomy style of Lost Isle, then at least I hope they can appreciate the detail and polish this quest has.

Oh and Evan the great, I'd love to post more screenies, especially from the later parts of the game. But I try not to get everyone too excited. I was already accused of overhyping beforer I even posted this thread icon_wacky.gif so I probably will not post new screenies before release. Though... entering SOTW is not out of question.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users