Combo cycling on layers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

You might notice how, in my under combo mini-FAQ, at the very bottom I mentioned something about one of the techniques being potentially useful for combo cycling.

Well, the moment I wrote that last sentence, I was smiling widely because a lightbulb had just gone on in my head, and I was absolutely sure that ONE of the two techniques I had in mind would work. In fact, it turns out they both do. icon_biggrin.gif

It's simple... annoyingly simple, because it took me this long to figure it out. To achieve combo cycling on a layer, all you need to do is give your layered animations combo type "Overhead" and then put stuff above them on other layers. The "Overhead" combos will combo cycle on layer 0, but they will visually appear to be above the other layers... even in ZQuest!

The combo isn't technically on a layer, but in almost all of the ways that matter it acts as though it were.

You can also use the "dummy push flag" technique, listed in my mini-FAQ, but chances are you won't need to. I am very happy about this discovery, because it will not only save me loads of time in the future, and open up new possibilities, but it will also allow me to free up nearly one whole map which was dedicated to timed warps. Yay! icon_biggrin.gif

#2 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

Under-combo mini faq? I'd like to see it. Also:

Are You Sure About This!? No...freaking...way! Does...does...does transparency work? That is, do transparent colors work? If not....WOOT! *goes ballistic in a corner, and then through it*. icon_eyeitus.gif icon_eyeitus.gif icon_eyeitus.gif icon_eyeitus.gif

icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif

I'm gonna check this out myself! If it works, thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Edit: It does work! This is too sweet!

Edited by SwordOfSeals, 31 January 2005 - 07:34 PM.

#3 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

Yep, you make all the rest of us feel like dummies for not thinking of that one, sure will save a lot of time.

#4 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:23 AM

Oh yeah, you did that on some doors in Deluge Temple, didn't you? Me likey.

#5 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:46 AM

Wow, what a good find! I am going to have to try this! How exciting. icon_razz.gif

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:23 AM

Well, I feel just as silly, considering I've been trying to figure this out for months... Most people are able to do without it, because it would usually only be useful for extensive sprite animations.

Mr. Z:

Nah, actually, I didn't actually use cycling overhead combos in tandem with layer 1 floors (to go under the transparent parts). Yeah, I did have some barred doors you could walk behind while they were opening, but Overhead was originally created for freeform dungeon door combos, so I didn't think much of it at the time. :\

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:15 AM

I had thought that might work, but I never did get around to testing, so thanks for testing it for me. icon_blah.gif
But, the "overhead" combo one is limited, as a lot of the things that I want combo cycled on layers, I don't want them above Link, unfortunately. :\

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Feb 1 2005, 04:15 AM)
But, the "overhead" combo one is limited, as a lot of the things that I want combo cycled on layers, I don't want them above Link, unfortunately. :\

Then use the "dummy push flag" method. icon_wink.gif It's actually in my under combo mini-FAQ, although it's a side-note. Simply put a one-directional push flag on said combo, then make it impossible to actually push it by placing a solid combo or a "no push blocks" flag in the way. Then lay a ground combo on top of that on layer 1 or 2, and presto, a layer 1 combo that looks like it's on layer "2.5." icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users