TileSet Tips?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:49 PM

Do any of you guys have any idea about how I should start the first combo of my tileset? If so, can you show me a screenshot of how you think it should look like with any set you wish to use.

If you don't know what I mean, look at the begining combo of any tileset. See how it's arrange? Well I don't know how to start. icon_razz.gif

#2 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

How to start:

First, make a transparent tile as your first combo. Very important.

Then make your basic ground/grass tile for your next combo. Maybe put it on a new line.

After that, do the rest of the basic ground tiles.

Go with the trees and bushes next.

After that, it's up to you. Just look at your tilepage and say "Hey I'll put these in now". Plan ahead how you'll make it in an organized fashion; remember that there are 4 combos to a line. Then put it in.

If you want, at the end, use the M key (move) to take everything you have and put it in the most logical order you can think of, so the haphazardness in the previous step will be remedied. icon_razz.gif

#3 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

Thanks Happyman. icon_thumbsup.gif Though, I still can't come up with somethin' icon_razz.gif Your tips were useful.

#4 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:23 PM

I've found that it's the easiest to outline what you're going to do first on paper or Word or Excel or something. Then you have something to keep you on track.
I'm not finished with my tileset by far yet, but I can tell you what I'm doing.
It consists of eight or nine different "worlds," meaning Grass Land, Holy Land, Ancient Temple, Town, Lava Field, etc. Each world contains all the combos I plan to use for that world. Some of them overlap with other worlds, such as the universal "grass" tile. EVERY world usually has this.
Within the worlds the combos are broken up into "Walkable", "Non-Walkable & Non Interactive" (such as mountain, water or fence etc.), "Objects" (Interactive things such as Slash, Push, Hammer, etc. Decorative things are placed here as well such as trees, large rocks, giant flowers, etc.) and then comes "Layer stuff." This contains giant objects used to layer over large areas such as forest shadow & humongous clouds. I tend to place background stuff here too, like a sunset you'd see from the top of a mountain or the ground below you'd see when crossing a suspension bridge.
This is all well and good to go through when you're making your tileset. Get everything you think you might need also, LEAVE LOTS OF ROOM between the groups. I'm talking like half to a full page of empty combos so that you have room to add or move stuff around. Same goes with your tile sheet. LOTS OF ROOM!
After I finish making all the combos I'm gonna build a small quest and see which combos I use the most often and then reorginize the whole sheet to place all the commonly used combos together so I don't have to scroll so much.
I hope this has been helpful. I'm willing to help with more information if you have more questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users