Jumping.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:03 AM

If jumping would be implimented, it should act the EXACT same way i did in any of the GameBoy Zelda Games...

#17 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(tobias_daboi @ Jan 21 2005, 10:03 PM)
If jumping would be implimented, it should act the EXACT same way i did in any of the GameBoy Zelda Games...

And I believe it will be.

Now, people are saying they wonder how jumping will be implemented. I think it's actually rather simpler than you'd expect. Just look at how he implemented the Hookshot.

The Hookshot relies on combo types. Normally the Hookshot stops when it hits unwalkable area, but there are set combo types that it can go over. In addition, DN added "HS Over" for times when you want it to be exclusive.

The downside is that the Hookshot usually stops when it hits anything, unless you specifically account for "HS Over" beforehand.

I think jumping will be treated much like the Hookshot. I'm not sure whether it will be possible to jump over Water, Ladder Only, and HS Over combos (if it's one of them, I bet it'll be all of them), but I'm positive it will carry you over pits, damage floors, etc. DN might create a Jump Only combo type, but I wonder whether falling into it will cause damage and send you back to the screen's entrance?...

Another question is whether the movement-while-jumping aspect will be handled like the Gameboy Zeldas... or will it be like Startropics, where the path of your jump is predetermined as you press the button, according to the direction you're pressing and what you're standing next to?...

#18 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:16 PM

Also, what if you're hit while jumping? Zelda classic is notorious for being "un-diagonal." Would you be able to jump or ever move diagonally? Probably not. Well, we just have to see.

Side note: Funny avatar, Raiden. Yes, I can count too.

#19 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:15 AM

I'm not looking forward to this item. Why? It just doesn't seem all that useful, especially since you have to use an item for it. I mean, when it is done, I will use it, but there are simply other items I would prefer. icon_wink.gif

#20 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 26 January 2005 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jan 26 2005, 07:15 AM)
I'm not looking forward to this item. Why? It just doesn't seem all that useful, especially since you have to use an item for it. I mean, when it is done, I will use it, but there are simply other items I would prefer. icon_wink.gif

I think it would be quite useful. If you're making a GB quest, those don't use hookshots, so I think jumping would be really helpful. Besides that, I just like the idea more. I don't know why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users