Greatest ZC Puzzle?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

In all of the quests you've played, which do you think was the greatest puzzle you've ever been faced with?

And by puzzle, I mean anything. Layout could be a puzzle. It could be a block puzzle mixed with some other element.

From my own personal experience, one of the most unique puzzles I've ever faced, was (obviously, because I'm an egotist.) designed by me, in the Tutorial Dungeon of The Prophecy. It involved a room with three general floor types. A blue one, a yellow one, and a gray one. The yellow ones transported you back to the room entrance immediately. The blue ones did nothing. The gray ones made the floor change, pretty much randomizing the patterns of the floor colors. You had to make your way to an item in the lower left corner of the screen, from the central east part. It was a pretty good puzzle too.

... Which reminds me of a question I have to ask. May as well do it here, since it'll automatically help anyone interested. icon_shrug.gif

Does anyone know if the "Linked Combos" quest rule affects the area between a Stairs combo and a DIRECT WARP combo above it? That would help dramatically.

#2 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:58 PM

I have to say that one of the hardest ones I have gone through would be the one in the first temple in CoD. I think that you all know the one I am talking about. icon_razz.gif

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:34 PM

........icon_blink.gif

Can't say I do. icon_freak.gif I mean, I DO remember most of it, but ... just not that puzzle. The only thing that I really got stuck at, was trying to find where to go, WELL after I'd finished most of it. .. 's all.

#4 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

I mean this one:
user posted image
It took me forever to get past this one. icon_confused.gif

#5 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

I argee, it took me about an hour to past that. icon_wacky.gif Tei's puzzle was the best I've seen.

#6 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:06 PM

You think those are tough? Try the block puzzle in the room before the boss key in level 3 of Mr.Z's Doublevision 2 demo. Took me like two-three hours to figure out.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe @ Feb 22 2005, 07:06 PM)
You think those are tough? Try the block puzzle in the room before the boss key in level 3 of Mr.Z's Doublevision 2 demo. Took me like two-three hours to figure out.

Heh. I agree tenfold. There was a block puzzle in mid-L4 of LBDX that stumped me for more than an hour. .. It's like .. at every turn, he's got you stumped! icon_freak.gif * Tears out hair * "If only that one single block weren't there, I could finish this!"

Well, I can rest easy, knowing that Mr. Z also has to test out his own block puzzles until they work. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif ... icon_twisted.gif Yes, I'm very evil.

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Umm... well, seriously, after taking on the Water Temples in all three of the 3D Zelda games (counting Tower of the Gods since it has plenty of water-based puzzles), and the final sanctuary in Alundra (It took me 3 1/2+ hours to finish it the first time I tried, 2 hours when I replayed it a couple of years later, and then 30 minutes when I replayed it immediately after finishing it once), hardly anything in ZC is hard enough to compare while still remaining a good puzzle. icon_razz.gif They're just hard to make.

Nothing in particular really stands out very well. All I can say is that I've generally enjoyed just about every dungeon element in Mr. Z's LBDX. His block puzzles are not impossibly difficult, but hard enough to make you think. That's what makes them fun. It's a lot easier to make multiple good, moderate-sized puzzles than it is to make one huge, challenging puzzle that's still fun.

My favorite non-ZC Zelda puzzle is the segmented boss fight with Phantom Ganon, during your second encounter with him. It wasn't one of the hardest puzzles in the Zelda series, but it was definitely the most fun and satisfying for me. icon_biggrin.gif

#9 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Feb 22 2005, 08:40 PM)
Heh.  I agree tenfold.  There was a block puzzle in mid-L4 of LBDX that stumped me for more than an hour.  .. It's like .. at every turn, he's got you stumped! icon_freak.gif * Tears out hair *  "If only that one single block weren't there, I could finish this!"

Well, I can rest easy, knowing that Mr. Z also has to test out his own block puzzles until they work. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif ... icon_twisted.gif  Yes, I'm very evil.

Heh I have yet to get that far but knowing Mr. Z I am sure that you are not over exagerating this. icon_razz.gif (I got stuck on the one near the end of lvl one for a while. icon_xd.gif)

#10 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Feb 23 2005, 02:40 AM)
Heh.  I agree tenfold.  There was a block puzzle in mid-L4 of LBDX that stumped me for more than an hour.  .. It's like .. at every turn, he's got you stumped! icon_freak.gif * Tears out hair *  "If only that one single block weren't there, I could finish this!"

Well, I can rest easy, knowing that Mr. Z also has to test out his own block puzzles until they work. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif ... icon_twisted.gif  Yes, I'm very evil.

Actually, I never managed to solve that puzzle on my first try... >_>;

My favorite puzzle? Oi, that's hard... I don't remember many puzzles, but there were some good ones in Revenge 2.

#11 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:10 AM

Oh, .. Oh yeah, the puzzles in R2. I remember a series of block-pushing puzzles, where, although you only had to push ONE block, the wrong block that you pushed would make you have to go back to the beginning and start all over again. That was pretty nasty. icon_razz.gif But very impressive. It was also combined with having some pound combos that you had to reduce to a walkable combo before you could proceed. ... Dang, that was a great set of puzzles.

C-Dawg also has some great block puzzles in Sabotage Dragoon. (He has great ones in DoY, I'll bet, but I don't really remember that many offhand.) There's the one in Meridian Cave, with the pinkish blobs that make themselves walkable and unwalkable alternatively, ... and then there was the boss of the Grand Kettle (Whos midi was changed nicely in the second public demo.) ... who would throw out a series of block puzzles for you to solve at each turn. I couldn't figure it out that you had to push the block right in front of him in the middle. I was trying to push it onto the empty non-flashing square. XD ... Too rough, C. Too rough.

#12 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:15 AM

I always thought the block-puzzles in any one of DarkFlameWolf's Quests were the most ingeniously designed. That designer had this thing for block-puzzles. As for hardest, I can't say I've played very many Quests, so I couldn't say there was ever a SUPER hard puzzle I've been faced with.

#13 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:03 AM

I actually have to say that no puzzle really sticks out. Though, for a quest I guess I'm going towards Revenge 2.

remember a series of block-pushing puzzles, where, although you only had to push ONE block, the wrong block that you pushed would make you have to go back to the beginning and start all over again. That was pretty nasty. icon_razz.gif But very impressive. It was also combined with having some pound combos that you had to reduce to a walkable combo before you could proceed.

Yeah, and remember, that's was made in 1.90, so it's even more impressive. icon_blah.gif

#14 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Feb 24 2005, 12:15 AM)
I always thought the block-puzzles in any one of DarkFlameWolf's Quests were the most ingeniously designed. That designer had this thing for block-puzzles. As for hardest, I can't say I've played very many Quests, so I couldn't say there was ever a SUPER hard puzzle I've been faced with.

Do keep in mind in HD at least a lot of the puzzles were taken straight from Revenge 2.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:23 AM

Heh. Only you would remember such a thing, Happyman. icon_razz.gif Awesome man.

I think her L1's puzzle was one of the hardest ones in the game. I'm not sure why. I remember having to spend an unusually long time on that particular puzzle. The rest seemed easy. icon_shrug.gif

Snort also has some ASTOUNDING block puzzles. One of them I couldn't solve at all. icon_shrug.gif I had to cheat to get past it.

One of these days, I'll make a block puzzle that nobody will be able to beat. I'll use Pandas as blocks! icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users