Pallete Design

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

What's the best way to arrange the pallete? I made some good pallete, but not sure on hot to arrange it. Here's what I came up with:

LightGreen,MediumGreen,DarkGreen,LBrown,DirtBrown,Another brown,Last brown,Tree color, tree color.

Do you have any tips on arranging them?

#2 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

You know....
All this palette design is a good thing I guess if you plan on making a tileset or building quest after quest with the same tiles and palettes, but if you go ripping from something like gameboy advance you'll drive yourself crazy trying to do that.

The thing I'm doing is using cset 2 for all the dungeon walls I'm ripping and each one will have it's gameboy palette colors and that's it.

Then that leaves you csets 3 and 4 to use with your tiles "to go with" like water colors, floors, etc.

The cset 2's won't work for other things, just the walls they were ripped from and therefore being used for, otherwise you would spend days recoloring tiles that you may or may not ever use again.

There are some 255 Palette slots in ZQuest, so there are more then enough to give each dungeon, and several different structures like houses their own palettes.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:40 PM

I am of the opinion that the first non-transparent slot in a CSet should always be white (or if it doesn't use white, then some light color), while the last color slot should always be black. Many tilesets use this.

Freedom is right, however, it is possible to make a new palette that is very similar to an existing one. For instance, you could take the Pure palettes and remove the marginally-useful flower colors, then replace them with an extra brown or something. Ripping would still be pretty easy if the order is still mostly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users