Taking sprite requests

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#106 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:44 AM

Albatross is now on the database. Incidentally, this pushes the loose tile database up to 100 pages.

Wait, how'd you know what he wanted it to look like? He never said

#107 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

In this specific case, I had some contact with the PorC team outside of this thread. (Like I said, Aslion already had a smaller version of the sheet almost a week ago.)

But also, he asked for a marine bird boss in the GBC style for a goofy game like Peril of Rectangle Country, I drew a marine bird boss in the GBC style for a goofy game like Peril of Rectangle Country! I feel like the intent was pretty clear!

Edited by Ether, 12 July 2021 - 10:56 AM.

#108 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:52 AM

Here's a quick test:

Btw, if this ends up being a thing... could I please request that these tiles be bordered as well? 

si5TYpJ.png 2oaTBJs.png

For all three sets? :D

#109 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:31 AM

Ugh, I don't like those borders. Part of it is that the wavy pattern is too close together to work well. I'm not totally sure it should be black at all, either. The more annoying part is the speed. It feels like it's rising and falling too fast, but anything that's not 2-frames-in-2-frames-out forces me to change how many frames this thing is (or figure out an abcb pattern instead).

#110 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:47 AM

Ugh, I don't like those borders. Part of it is that the wavy pattern is too close together to work well. I'm not totally sure it should be black at all, either. The more annoying part is the speed. It feels like it's rising and falling too fast, but anything that's not 2-frames-in-2-frames-out forces me to change how many frames this thing is (or figure out an abcb pattern instead).

I have them set at 16 speed. I think black suits them well, any other color would look out of place, even another hue of red would make the set look too reddish.

#111 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 13 July 2021 - 11:04 AM

I'm thinking the lightest shade, the same way that objects in water have white underneath them. I'm not totally sure if it'll work, because lava isn't water, but on the other hand lava should give off a glow.

#112 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

#113 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:51 PM

Oh yeah, that's way better. I should still change the pattern up a bit, but that's absolutely a step in the right direction.

#114 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:11 PM

032_lava5.png

These are two different edge patterns (top is aabb, bottom is abcb) that should be tried separately, but I think one or the other is probably gonna be the final draft. Whichever one it is, I should get a chance to flesh it out, fit it to the other two lava patterns and handle narrower tiles by later tonight.

#115 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:25 PM

aabb:

033_lava_aabb.png

abcb:

034_lava_abcb.png

• Demonlink likes this

#116 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:01 AM

I did some small experiments, but I'm more convinced by the abcb set:

#117 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:46 AM

Blaaaaah. It still doesn't feel right to me, too much like a dotted line. I'll try to figure more alternatives out later, probably involving non-dotted lines.

#118 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

If we keep experimenting with this, do you have a layer to spare? I think we could just keep the same base lava underneath and overlay the borders only until we figure a solution out, this would save both of us a bunch of time replacing 3 different kinds of lava at every pass and give you more flexibility if you want to try your own takes.

Edited by Ether, 15 July 2021 - 11:00 AM.

• Demonlink likes this

#119 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 15 July 2021 - 02:08 PM

Sure, I could use layer 1 for that. :D

#120 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors