Photo

How to avoid Rupee grinding?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Guardian

Golden Guardian

• Members

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

I've recently taken up quest designing again after years of not even playing other custom quests and I've run into a bit of an issue. I can't seem to find a way to balance out the player being too rich, or needing to grind to the point that it's tedious. I've seen this in quite a few quests I've played just recently and to be honest, it's really annoying; I want to avoid it. 

So my question is simply what I have in the title: How do I avoid making the player grind for rupees? (While also, of course, not making it way too easy to get rupees and making them pretty pointless.) I've had a few scrapped ideas and have been trying to draw some from playing other quests and real Zelda games, but I'm drawing a blank here. :\

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

Tips for managing rupees in a quest:

1. Make plenty of things to buy, especially repeatable. Make them things players will want to buy.
  2. Hide big rupee caches all around. Rupees from enemy kills should be no more than half your income. Make the bigger ones harder to find.
  3. Make later-game enemies drop more rupees. If you need to rupee grind, it should get easier as you go along.

• nicklegends and Lightwulf like this

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

Or, script rupee drops. The more rupees you have, the less you get from drops. If you are low, you get more. Make sure noting costs more than the point where rupees become tedious to get. If I have 200 rupees, I am not going to get a lot of rupees. If I have 15 rupees, enemies will likely drop 10 rupees each.

Edited by Dimentio, 07 June 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#4 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

What I tend to do is try to make prices such that if a player plays the quest normally, he/she should not have to go out of the way to Rupee grind. Suppose you would need 220 Rupees total to buy the items that you would need to complete level 2. I would then do a test playthrough and see how many Rupees I would have at that point. This would assume that someone found at least some of the Rupee secrets (when I test, I also take into account the door repair rooms). If my amount is similar to the total, then it's fine, as you would probably just grind up the Rupees through normal play. If it's drastically lower than that, I reduce shop prices. If it's much higher, I either raise prices or nerf Rupee drops.

One thing I generally tend to do is have a system of encouraging the player to fight every enemy, especially in dungeons. Doing so should keep grinding to a minimum if done right. I do expect at least SOME grinding, like maybe a 3-5 minute grind at least. But if I'm having to do several laps just to get money, that's when problems occur. The other thing is that I run into a problem where Rupees are a bit too generous. Editing the drop rates can help or reducing how many Rupees secrets give can help. In one project of mine, you're given tons of them, but all the prices are accordingly high as through casual play, you would easily accumulate several hundred Rupees just going through the first two dungeons.

In the end of the day though, I like to see what others think. For instance, in my project, someone stated that he had 400 Rupees after all purchases, leading me to believe that I was a bit too generous on Rupee drops and should lower them somewhat.

So in short, have Rupee secrets and make sure your shop prices aren't too high. I don't think people would be very happy to discover they need 250 Rupees to buy a Raft to get to level 1 and be forced to do a bunch of laps around the overworld to reach said sum. Perhaps in such a case, have it be 50 Rupees and put a fairly easy to find 10-20 Rupee secret. Grinding is not a bad thing if you only have to grind a few minutes or are doing it while exploring. If it's a constant issue where you're spending half an hour just to buy something, that's where grinding becomes bad.

• Avaro likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:04 AM

Another thing you can do is have rupee dungeons. If the player needs rupees, they can either grind, or go through a long cave that's easy to find.

#6 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:56 AM

Maybe it's not the simple tip you were looking for, but I would make sure to interview your testers about this point. Ask them how many rupees they had at the start of each game milestone (dungeons, perhaps) and if they ever maxed out or felt they needed to grind. Besides that, give the player plenty of things to buy. In an RPG-style game, this is relatively easy: you can charge for equipment that buffs your stats so that the player will always be satisfied.
  • Jared likes this

#7 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:14 AM

I find that a screen with lots of destructible stuff (tall grass, pots, etc.) will net you more rupees than grinding enemies, usually.  I threw a black Rupoor (-10) into the item dropset to keep it interesting- it keeps the player from just blindly picking up everything they happen to find.  A room full of grass that leaves behind bare dirt that can be further affected by a Shovel... a person with just a little patience can make bank.

In my current project, the hero gets the Rupee Bow from a Big Fairy (technically given the Bow and Arrow at once)- it's the original LoZ bow with a new paint job, that uses rupees for arrows (in game, she explains that you actually take a rupee out of your pouch and touch the bowstring, and it magically becomes an arrow).  This helps curtail a glut of rupees.  Good level design here suggests that if there is a boss or enemy that requires the bow to kill, there should be rupees available fairly close by.

Also, don't forget to pepper in 'It's a Secret to Everyone' rooms here and there... but also 'Pay me for the Door Repairs' rooms, too.  It adds a level of exploration and risk and gives the player a reason to stay on a screen longer than the time it takes to run across it.

One thing the original game did was have the same items for different prices in different places.  Now, do you grind for another few screens to get the extra 30 rupees to buy it here, or trek all the way back to the far end of the map and buy it for cheap?  In general, the more useful the item is- in the area it will be used- the more expensive it should be (Meat/bribe, I'm looking at you!).

• Avaro likes this

#8 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:50 AM

One concept I really like from the quest I've been LPing (The Islands of Zelda) is that at one point there's an underworld area, which is sort of like the dark world from ALttP. There are various bosses sprinkled throughout the overworld of the underworld (you know what I mean) that drop upwards of fifty rupees when killed. I think this is an excellent idea, since not only does the player have to kill a boss to get these rupees, but they can't grind them since you can only do it a limited number of times.
  • Lightwulf likes this

#9 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

Imagine Door Repair room that just empties you wallet completely somewhere in the Dark World...

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:19 AM

Please no door repair rooms... those discourage exploration, not encourage it. Would you want to be penalized for playing the game like you're meant to?

• Shane, Lightwulf, Timelord and 1 other like this

#11 Golden Guardian

Golden Guardian

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

Wow, I didn't expect so many answers overnight! Thank you all for the advice! While I can't use all of these at once, I'll try and apply some of these ideas to my quest. 

EDIT: I've never really liked Door Repair myself... Don't think I'll be using that, sorry. 

Edited by Golden Warrior, 08 June 2015 - 07:30 AM.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

Please no door repair rooms... those discourage exploration, not encourage it. Would you want to be penalized for playing the game like you're meant to?

I agree with this, 103%. I've told more than my fair share of questmakers, that door repair rooms discourage exploration, and are hateful enough that any sensible person is likely to stop playing the game; particularly when they siphon > 50 rupees.

What I do, if you're curious, is a two-part situation.

People Will Always Grind

In place of a normal rupee cap, I set up a capacity system. That meaning, every small object in the game, has a fixed size. The value of the object, and its size, are independent. Thus, I can set up items (let's call them size small, medium, and large) with sizes 1, 3, and 5 respectively, that can be of any monetary value.

If you'd like, I'll supply both the code, and a list, for making this work (it's in RPG.zh and works out of the box).

Object Sizes and Reward Value

The basic idea, is that I have a table of this sort:

Object        Value        Size    Rarity
Coin        1        1    1 - Grinding, Enemies, common
Coin        5        3    1 - Grinding, Enemies, common
Coin        10        5    1 - Grinding, Enemies, common
Coin        25        1    3 - Grinding, Enemies uncommon
Coin        50        3    4 - Grinding (rare), Enemies (uncommon)
Coin        100        5    5 - Grinding (very rare), Enemies (rare)
Coin        100        1    6 - Grinding (never), Enemies (scarce), Treasure (common)
Coin        250        3    7 - Grinding (never), Enemies (rare), Treasure (common)
Coin        500        5    7 - Grinding (never), Enemies (rare), Treasure (uncommon)
Gem        250        1    8 - Grinding (never), Enemies (tougher only), Treasure (uncommon)
Gem        500        1    9 - Grinding (never), Enemies (very rare), Treasure (rare, sidequest, or special)
Gem        1000        1    10 - Grinding (never), Enemies (bosses), Treasure (side-quest only)

For clarity, coins are different metals, and different sizes. Low value coins, through reasonably high value coins (of large physical size) may be obtained by grinding, or from fighting normal enemies, but this quickly fills up the available 'free space', whilst giving a relatively low value for the space it's filling.

If the player is out of free space, then they can;t collect any more money objects, and need to either go to a moneychanger (e.g. bank, or shopkeep) to trade up. A moneychanger charges a fixed price, while a storekeep will change up a percentage of their space, based on how much they buy. (Read: Buying an item reduces used space by a % based on its cost.)

What This Does

It allows a player to grind, if they wish to grind, but it makes grinding less profitable, because they can't find high-value, small items, or very-high-value items. That, with the added bonus of trekking back to change in their money, means that grinding becomes more tedious.

The Reward Factor

Now, that's all well-and-good, but how should a [good] player seek monetary rewards? Here's my list:

In-Dungeon Treasure.

These rewards should be given for solving puzzles, or beating tough enemies. The amount of space used by the money object, compared to its monetary value, makes it appealing, but these shouldn't be far better than what a player can ordinarily get, because they are found along the normal route of the game.

Exploration Rewards

Secret finds, are a better source of good treasure. Rather than a 100 rupee object that eats up '100' space, the player can find objects worth 100, 250, or more, that eat up only '1', '3', or '5' space. This is usually going to require a player both to explore, and to pay attention; be that to visual clues, or hints given in the game, and may require some backtracking. The more backtracking, the greater the reward. It's wise to make these awards appear in mini-dungeons, with more than one single award. Put two, or three awards in an optional mini-dungeon, and you'll liven up the play, and enjoyability of going to find them.

Antiquities

Very rare items, should require puzzle solving. I don;t mean block puzzles, but logical puzzles: Patching together hints, and clues. It's good to place quest items (upgrades to equipment) and a rare gem, or two, or some money awards that use little space, in their own mini-dungeon, cave, or hidden spot. These should feel like a proper side-quest, not merely exploration.

Drops from Mid-Bosses

Another good way to dole out valuable coins, gems, or other money objects, is to have mid-bosses drop them; or to have tough enemies drop a chest (open for random reward; you can randomise those drops, with the code that I have).

Changes, With a Size System

Obviously, this works when you implement a size system. It's pretty easy, and I could package it for anyone as a standalone module. It replaces the quantity of rupees wallets, with something a bit different. Wallets under this system add to carrying capacity (space), rather than value, and the max capacity (value) is usually unlimited. This also allows setting far higher prices, to make finding those rewards more desirable.

You can put game items, that are potentially optional, or hard to find, in stores, at very high prices, and a player could actually buy them, but only if they complete side-quests to gain the needed riches. As an example, if you put the blue ring in a shoppe, you could set the price at 2,000 without batting an eye. You could put that in a mid-difficulty dungeon as a free item, and at the same time, have it in a shoppe, that the player could buy, if he does two or three less difficult mini-dungeons. This allows for a more mixed, non-linear order of gameplay.

------

Without a Size System

If you forego a size system as described above, all is not lost. One thing you will want to do, is add a tiny script that allows wallets > 999 rupees. (I will supply that, if desired). Then, tack that onto wallets that they player may buy, or only find through exploration; and make objects that are worth buying at large values, available.

With this formula, you need to make finding 100+ sized rupees interesting. put them in treasure chests, and work with high-value rewards as above. The problem, is that a player who's a determined grinder can just ignore the side quests, which is why making wallets that go up to at least 5,000 (or 9,999) into side-quest items. This is how to make high-value rupee counts worth more; by making expensive things, truly expensive, and making them desirable.

How to Make Small Rupee Counts More Valuable

Reduce, or eliminate ammo drops, from most enemies. If a player needs to restock, they'll need to buy supplies. This works best, if you don;t over-limit their item counters. Set bombs at 20, and Arrows at 50, as a starting value for each, so that running out accidentally is less of a threat.

If you have a boss, or something in a dungeon that requires a counter item, you can put it close to their lair as a freebie, but otherwise, make the player buy things. Reducing the drop rate of rupees is also a god idea. Make the drop rate for slash combos very low, for monetary items; and reasonable for health. If an enemy is very weak (easy to kill), give him heart, and magic drops, but no money. 

These things combined, will make small values more valuable, because (1) it is harder to obtain money, and (2) money is necessary to buy supplies.

No Rupoors

I file these under the same level of hatefulness as door repairs, except that they're also random. Don't punish the player with bad RNG like that. I'd rather play a game with no money drops, than run into Rupoor drops when trying to frantically restore HP.

Imagine Door Repair room that just empties you wallet completely somewhere in the Dark World...

That's probably the only interesting take on door repairs that I've ever seen mentioned. If the player can re-obtain what is stolen, it's less of a bitter pill. I'm still against them in general, but that could be interesting, if done right.

I find that a screen with lots of destructible stuff (tall grass, pots, etc.) will net you more rupees than grinding enemies, usually.  I threw a black Rupoor (-10) into the item dropset to keep it interesting- it keeps the player from just blindly picking up everything they happen to find.  A room full of grass that leaves behind bare dirt that can be further affected by a Shovel... a person with just a little patience can make bank.

[ ... ]

Have you actually playtested many games that do that? Guess wht? That becomes the only thing about the game that people remember; and they remember that they hate it. It's bad enough that you might grab one when you're franric for hearts; but the fact that you need to skirt by them, and go out of your way to painstakingly avoid them, is simply tedious. it isn't fun in the least, and because you can usually collect them with a sword, or other weapons, you can pick them up when fighting, and have no chance to avoid them.

Also, don't forget to pepper in 'It's a Secret to Everyone' rooms here and there... but also 'Pay me for the Door Repairs' rooms, too.  It adds a level of exploration and risk and gives the player a reason to stay on a screen longer than the time it takes to run across it.

Actually, it boils down to not wanting to open anything: It's not a risk/reward situation. The player simply doesn't want to open anything up, because it's not worth it. If you want risk/reward, put a money making game in each spot where you'd have either free money, or door repairs; and see if anyone bothers to play it. (Hint: They won't, but they'll grumble about their wasted bomb.)

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 08 June 2015 - 09:27 AM.

• HavoX likes this

#13 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

I don't mind them as long as they're not ridiculous. I mean I think having maybe 4-5 door repairs that each take 10 away is fair. Nothing dumb like -100 or tricking you into picking up a Rupoor disguised as a normal Rupee.

• Yapollo and symbiote01 like this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

I dunno if I will be able to help much, but an idea I have would be to make sure the rupee drops are at a reasonable level, probably make tall grass have a lower rupee drop rate to balance out things if you're planning to add quite a bit of tall grass, bushes, pots etc.

I would probably also say to make prices reasonable as well, with plenty of things to buy. Obviously don't make things way too expensive but at least make it at a good price that you will never have too less or too much rupees.

That's my take on the question.

#15 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

I recently released a quest, and this is one of the hot subjects about it. So allow me to share my experience, even though I might mirror a bit of what ZoriaRPG has already mentioned.

People will grind
This is a fact. Not all players will grind, but there will be players who grind to all living hell. There will also be players who don't grind for money at all. This is a huge problem, actually, and your questi design has to not only accommodate both types of players, but also all spectrum of skill level in both groups. It's doable, but it requires some critical thinking about what you actually want to achieve with your in-game economics. Or if you want one at all! It might surprise you, but if you consider it, most official Zelda games have economics in which you barely have anything to spend rupees on! In which case the rupees players get still feel nice, but are often useless aside from getting potions, supplies, and minigame tries.

Door repair is never a good concept
Legend of Lana (my recent quest) features door repair guys. It does this not because I think it's a good idea, but simply because I really wanted to imitate as many aspect of Zelda 1 as possible. But truth of the matter, I thought they were pretty tosh even before I used them. But I'll admit, how powerful effect they have on the player really surprised me. They actively causes players to not look for secrets! Zelda 1 is an exploration based game, getting players to not want to explore is a terrible idea! (And consider this, it has not returned in any following Zelda game.) If you want a showcase of this you can watch Eppy's let's play of my quest. The amount they take is pretty insignificant, but it just leaves such a bad taste in the players mouth. (IIRC the highest is 40 or something, but most are really low.)

You might say that you "only have a few" or that impact will be "small enough". But consider this: You have NO IDEA in which order players find secrets in. Which means in theory, players can keep running into the negative ones after each other. (Which actually happened to Eppy.)

Lastly, you have to ask yourself, what does these things add to the game? The only reason I have them in my quest is because I want the game to have some of the primitiveness of Zelda 1. But otherwise, I can't really conceive a reason why you would want them. To punish the players? There are better means to do that which also don't involve alienating them from doing core parts of the game.

On the subject of Rupoors
Could be useful as some sort of enemy weapon that is used against link. (Enemy throws rupoors around itself, etc.) But in general, they don't have much use in Zelda games. This was a mechanic that was introduced in Four Swords; Which I should note, the sole usage of rupees is as a high score and you compete against your fellow players. In the context of such a title they make perfect sense. In the context of a modern Zelda game with proper economics though... Link's face here sums it up pretty darn well. Rupoors can be used to make players NOT do a specific thing. For example, I inserted a 1% chance to get a rupoor in my slashable grass combos. (I'd want to set it even lower, but I'm unsure if ZC's drop tables support that...) This was done to discourage players from grinding in the grass.

Note here: If I were to design a commercial product, I would refrain from doing that. This was a very meta decision, since I KNOW quite a few ZC players have a hard-on for grinding money on slashable combos. (And you don't need to grind rupees in that sort of manner to get through the quest.)

Economics
Legend of Lana is a very economics heavy quest. Most base items that you get in dungeons have upgrades available for them, all of which must be bought in shops for rupees. Now, if you have no problems and don't struggle with anything, you'll go through most of the quest without getting even near enough rupees to buy everything. But that's actually fine, the quest was designed around that! The extra more powerful stuff is there for those who struggle. Struggling players who die a lot will also be getting more rupees. (Via more enemy drops, as they have to kill more!) Of course, this is fine and dandy in theory, but in practice, I'll have a ton of players who just grind for the upgrades, right? Well yes, but that's hard to prevent. What I did instead was that rupee drops from enemies increase the later the dungeon level the player is in! (And the more expensive upgrades are quite a bit more costly than the weaker ones.) This means that grinding early on for most of these items is super tedious and few players would want to do that. But if you struggle later on in the quest, you're require to kill quite a bit less to get the very same upgrades.

Now, I didn't get this quite right, and I'm still tweaking the prices with every update I make to the quest. I think this system can work fairly well, but it requires quite a bit of playtesting with various sorts of players.

So to answer your question OP: There is a lot you CAN do with economics. But the first you need to ask yourself what purpose you want the economy in your quest to have, and more to the point, what type of wares the player can buy. Once you have that down, you can start considering what you should or shouldn't do. And remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Edited by Lunaria, 08 June 2015 - 07:04 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Shane and Yapollo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users