Bikdip's Adventure 2

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

If you're coming here after finding the quest in the database, please be aware that 1.92 b 184 is actually better at running it than b 183 is. 1.90 is also still an option, if possible. After a month or so I plan on correcting any bugs pointed out (which should be minimal) and resubmitting it, while also correcting the comments saying which version to use.

After like two years of working on the quest at a moderate pace, and then three more of putting it off, I finally finished my third and greatest quest. I just submitted it to the database, so it will probably be a couple days before it gets put up. That is if it DOES get put up of course. I'm a bit worried about that actually.

One of my goals with this quest was to build it in 1.90, a very inferior version. I wanted to see how complex I could make something with those limitations. And for the most part that was fine, until I ran into a game-killing bug involving the maximum number of message strings. This made me break the quest into two files - one of which is still in 1.90 and was just submitted. The other contains the final level and all the related cutscenes, and it is to be played in 1.92 b 183. It's hosted on my own website on a secret page that you'll be given the link to after beating the first part. So while technically the first part is an "incomplete quest", the ending does exist, and is readily available.

So anyway, for those interested in a quest that doesn't have all the flashiness of the current ones, many of which use scripting to create otherwise impossible new features, this is a good place to look. Sometimes you just want something more simple, and simple doesn't necessarily mean poorly made. I'm not going to claim that my level design is flawless, but I tried my best.

Info can be found on my freewebs site, here: Jish's Junk
I also have a trailer that was made a while back: Trailer on youtube

So until it becomes public, this thread is more of a placeholder than anything. If it does get rejected, then I'll just have to settle with hosting it on my own, but hopefully that won't happen.

Edited by Jish, 30 January 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#2 Zorlaf

Zorlaf

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:48 AM

Could you upload it in this topic? I can,t wait!

#3 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:34 AM

Sweet. I've wanted this to come out since I saw that trailer a year or so ago, looked really interesting.
And don't worry about it being rejected from the database, they'll take anything as long as you didn't steal it.

Edited by Lithium, 25 January 2009 - 03:37 AM.

#4 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

Yay, a faster and better response than I expected. I planned on just waiting the few days until it's officially put up, but here's a temporary download link by request.

The Bagel

Edited by Jish, 26 January 2009 - 03:08 AM.

#5 Zorlaf

Zorlaf

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

How to get boomerang?

#6 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

I show that at the end of part 70 of my MMDWR playthrough actually. But anyway, go up from the Level 9 exit, past the bomb shop, and you can climb onto the wall there and go around the building and rocks to reach another entrance where you can choose your first item.

#7 Sinfex

Sinfex

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

Okay. I'm in Level 2 I got the Cheese for the Goriya and went to the screen to the north of him. I pushed a block on the bottom left. Which cause a ladder to appear. But It's a little bit to the left of the door going up. So I can't go up it. I'm kinda confused. I'm using 1.92 Build 184 (it works with Dr. Wily's Revenge. And I used to finish the Demo. I don't remember what I did in this room though.)

#8 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

In that room, you have to do two different things to activate both sides of the ladder. There's one you have to push and one you have to bomb.

If you're wondering how I set that up, one of them is a standard secret combo (flag 16) activated by bombing the block, and the other one is the seldom-used "stairs" combo activated by pushing the other block, and that weird yellow staircase square thing on the second pgdn menu.

#9 Sinfex

Sinfex

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thanks. I got it.

yeah, that's an... interesting way to have two secrets on the same screen. 1.90 doesn't have tiering secrets does it?

EDIT: Just found the Heart Peice in Level 2. That was pretty clever.

Edited by Sinfex, 25 January 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#10 Sinfex

Sinfex

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Sorry for the double post. But you know. Except not.

What do I do in this screen?

http://s554.photobuc...nt=zelda003.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it through sheer dumb luck.

Edited by Sinfex, 25 January 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#11 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Play the whistle to open a cave entrance where you can learn the path through the maze.

Also be warned that the next part is easily the worst part of the game. You'll want to make maps for level 5.

#12 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I know it's made in 1.90, but should it play OK in 2.10?

#13 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

No. Use 1.92 b 183 if possible.

#14 Sinfex

Sinfex

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I got past the maze screen. And went two screens west. Except the Dungeon Entrance thingy there just led to this.

http://s554.photobuc...nt=zelda004.jpg

Abei doesn't say anything. Is this a bug?

#15 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

It's a "potion shop". You need the letter from level 5, then you can buy super bombs there.

The area you want to head to is south. You'll get another hint where you have the option to go into BA1, and then you can head to the horrors of Level 5 soon afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users