Things that should never have existed

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

I'm a completionist. Are you saying I'm self-loathing?

#62 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yes. I am!

#63 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Preventing a player from doing something they are not supposed to by outright killing them, usually done as a lazy way to enforce linearity, is almost without exception an awful design choice, both in ZC and the gaming industry in general. This is because the player has no chance to realize what they have done was wrong before the game gives them the big middle finger up and kills them.

This reminds me of Final Fantasy 2 where you wonder off and suddenly find a Ghost. :P

#64 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

F6.  If you have to exploit the system to get out of a quest, you are a sneak and a cheater and shame on you- you don't deserve to play the game.  Also, if the quest is so difficult/boring that you need to use F6, shame on the creator of the game for not creating something worthwhile to hold your interest.

F6 breaks some scripts and messes up games.

F6 cheated on its taxes last year.

The OoA and OoS games.  Worst of the series- and that includes the CD-i games.  Oh wait, you didn't want whole games on the list? 

Then I take it back.

Also, the Flippers.  Made raft paths obsolete, made the ladder somewhat obsolete, changed what used to be logical blocked paths (like edges of the map), and ruined many overworld puzzles (without carefully reconsidered planning).  I had to completely rework the way Link acts and reacts to water so he can't just jump in the river and bypass what should have been a non-path.  In my quest, you can only jump in or out of deep water at a sandy shoreline or shallow water area.  It works most of the time, but can be broken pretty easily (especially with the accursed F6, above).

#65 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

This reminds me of Final Fantasy 2 where you wonder off and suddenly find a Ghost. :P

And now you know what drove me away from the early era FF games. Final Fantasy III, IIRC, was filled with killgating once you get down to land.

#66 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

F6.  If you have to exploit the system to get out of a quest, you are a sneak and a cheater and shame on you- you don't deserve to play the game.  Also, if the quest is so difficult/boring that you need to use F6, shame on the creator of the game for not creating something worthwhile to hold your interest.

The OoA and OoS games.  Worst of the series- and that includes the CD-i games.  Oh wait, you didn't want whole games on the list? 

Then I take it back.

Also, the Flippers.  Made raft paths obsolete, made the ladder somewhat obsolete, changed what used to be logical blocked paths (like edges of the map), and ruined many overworld puzzles (without carefully reconsidered planning).  I had to completely rework the way Link acts and reacts to water so he can't just jump in the river and bypass what should have been a non-path.  In my quest, you can only jump in or out of deep water at a sandy shoreline or shallow water area.  It works most of the time, but can be broken pretty easily (especially with the accursed F6, above).

Well, considering you need to F6 to Save in the majority of quests, you need to keep that into account too. If you don't like people F6ing so much, give out Farore's Wind that requires no magic and I'm sure more people will use that instead.

For my list:

Bubbles: Why do they exist? To waste time? The reason why I often prefer to get the Hammer early on in quests is because of these things. Get hit by one? You're gonna be waiting awhile to slash in order to kill that one Stalfos so the doors finally open. Oh wait, it hit you again, that restarts the timer! And it hit you again and again... It's gonna be awhile... If something other than the Firerang stunned these in most quests, then they wouldn't be so bad. Heck, even allowing you to kill them makes them far less annoying.

Fireball Shooters: Do you have a Magic Shield? If not, you're gonna have fun with these. Now if you have one or two with decent amount of room to move about, they're not that bad. But put one in each of the 4 corners of a room. Yeah, you better get ready to tank. I have bad memories of Z1 Quest 2 Level 1 thanks to these stupid things. It wasn't the Goriya 2s that were hard, it was these stupid shooters.

Edited by HylianGlaceon, 10 May 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#67 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

Welp, I'm a really bad person :P

But for me, I don't take any shame using F6 because well, the majority of everyone else does it one time or another >_>

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 11 May 2014 - 06:33 AM.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#68 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

I have something that never should have existed: Public Toilets! Urinals are fine as you don't get that close to them, But toilets are touched by sooo many people...

#69 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

I think the DoR Tileset has a public outhouse in it. Maybe.

Steering this thread back on topic.

#70 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Welp, I'm a really bad person :P

But for me, I don't take any shame using F6 because well, the majority of everyone else does it one time or another >_>

zelda527.png

Just thought you should know. ;)

It's tough for me to think of anything that "shouldn't exist" in quests, because even when I don't like something I think of it as an expression of the author, or something that others may enjoy. With that said, instant death invisible damage combos, like in the Temple of Cole ...  In general, I'm not a fan of random luck/ guesswork to figure things out, and having steep penalties only frustrates me more.

• Eddy and coolgamer012345 like this

#71 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

The OoA and OoS games.  Worst of the series

I respectfully disagree entirely.

Honestly if anything should exist in every quest it's bug testing. I know some authors who don't do that, joke quest or serious quest. One recent quest that I was really disappointed by had lots. His past work shows signs of obvious bugs too. I won't point any fingers though.

#72 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

zelda527.png

Just thought you should know. ;)

Thanks for the reminder, Aevin!

But.... I'll still end up F6'ing somewhere in the quest :>

#73 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Oh, F6 disabling are we now Aevin?

I wonder how many times I will be cursed? >_>

#74 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Nah ...  At one point I did look into scripting something to punish the player for uncapping, but found it impossible for my meager skills. I was never actually going to use it except as a joke, anyway. I really don't mind if players enjoy quests however they like.

#75 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

Nah ...  At one point I did look into scripting something to punish the player for uncapping, but found it impossible for my meager skills. I was never actually going to use it except as a joke, anyway. I really don't mind if players enjoy quests however they like.

Oooh, lets brainstorm!

- Likelikes of any variety.

- Bottlenecks on screens

- Carefully placed FFC traps that always hit you if you hold a certain direction upon entering a screen

- Timed puzzles

Basically forcing the player into using reflexes or more precise inputs frequently enough will give the player a fear of uncapping.

• SpacemanDan and Aevin like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users