Koh's Random and Charity Tile Thread

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Y'know, looking at it, the sprite in whole might look better without the whites of the eyes.

I see what you're saying...I experimented, but it looks kind of awkward on this scale.  Like, maybe if the sprites were in a 32x32 bounding box instead, the eyes could be made more bead-like and it'd work out just fine, with a sort of chibi game-book style going for it.  Lemme do a quick example to show what I mean...I'll edit this post in a bit.

EDIT:  Okay, this is what I mean.

ChibiLink_zpsc9a03d53.png

It'd look better if it were to be on the scale of the one on the right, so you can do that chibi eye thing :O.

Edited by Koh, 06 August 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#62 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm sure if you brightened up the blues it would look fine. .__.

• Shane likes this

#63 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

It's not the blues that's the problem, you just need to lighten the skin tone. Create more contrast between the face and the eyes/hair.

• Shane and Jared like this

#64 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Well, that'd take a LOT of backtracking at this point, so  it's a bit late for that now @o@.  I've got the browns JUST dark enough to be like the brown from his original Z1 artwork.  If someone really wants to go through all of that editing, all for the sake of stripping the white from his eyes, there are still two spare colors on the palette, in which you can append an extra, lighter skin color and edit all the frames to accommodate it =x.

Meanwhile, have these~

NCLHold_zps905a9fe4.png

No, there will not be shield holding variants of the one-handed holding sprites, because Link doesn't hold shields with his left hand...he holds them with his right hand.  If he were to hold up items with his left hand like he does in LTTP onwards, I'd do it, but since ZC doesn't have a switch for that, there's no point.  The four extra spaces on each are for the swimming variant.

Edited by Koh, 07 August 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#65 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

A lot of backtracking? Couldn't you just open up the sprites in GraphicsGale and change the color of the skin with the open colors?

#66 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

The primary skin color is also the highlight on the hair.  Too light and it stands out way too much.  This is what I mentioned before with disliking being limited to 16 colors; it's a nice challenge and all, but you end up having to share colors for things, so if you change one thing, it greatly affects another.  I'd never have more than 32 colors on a single sprite though; I think the max I've ever had was about 22.  I like to keep the colors as separate as possible when working out of bounds, so you don't have any sharing going on.  There's no reason to share anyway, when you don't have bounds.  The browns don't need to be exactly the same, for example.  I could have Link's hair tan-brown like they are now, and his clothing red-brown if I were off the rails.

Anyways, this will be put on hold for a bit, while I do more art and work on World of Chaos some more.

Edited by Koh, 07 August 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#67 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's kind of a given that you be very, very careful with which colors to choose - To demonstrate I've edited your sprite's face. I had to change a brown to an orange and add another color for the skin, but it results in an improved color balance and crisper look:

Koh_color.png

Also notice how I framed the face. It no longer does it need a full outline to appear as a head, through which a darker color represents the neck. With the right kind of shading and light direction, you can get a lot of detail out of two shades - You don't need three or four for everything. And it's okay for some sprite lighting to be "fake" - The right kind of directional lighting on a sprite only enhances the kind of character and personality that character represents.

• Jared likes this

#68 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

See but the problem there is his hair no longer looks brown, but rather orange blonde.  I was aiming to give him his original brown hair, since that's the best hair I prefer out of him.  Also, the brown pixels on the side of his head originally were that of the sideburns, not to represent an edge.  There is more contrast there, I'll give it that, but it's not at all close to the vision I had in my mind when I created these.

Edited by Koh, 08 August 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#69 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

It'd be cool if you could have alternative Link csets with Link being brown/orange blonde/blonde so everyone is pleased. But that's just a suggestion. :P

• Jared likes this

#70 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Good use for CSet 10 or 11.

Edited by coolgamer012345, 09 August 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• Jared likes this

#71 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hey are you still doing this?

#72 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I don't know if this is to much to ask but could you make some link tiles with link holding his hands in the air, I would need them for the script that lets link pick up stuff, And I am using the Pure 2.50 tileset, It's Ok though if you don't want to make the tiles.

#73 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well these come with that; it's just on hiatus at the moment, while I further develop my own games.  I'll get back to it in due time; I haven't forgotten about it~  If they're for some existing Link, I'm not sure if they aren't already made.

Edited by Koh, 04 September 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#74 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have looked everywhere, Unless there in a game then they have not been made. And good luck !

#75 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Can't get ZC to work.  Does anyone have a screenshot with the Link sprites I can work from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users