What Anime are You Watching?

• Please log in to reply
774 replies to this topic

#706 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

So I'm watching as show everybody recommended that I watch.

I'll give you a hint.

NICO NICO NI!

#707 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

I have no idea. Regarding Nico Nico Ni.

I just finished Interlude. Weird. And outdated animation. Could be better with a longer story and less horrible and deeper charakters, but I think such a show would give too many headaches to run for multiple episodes.

Still watching Master Mosquiton. It is old. And the dub kind of hurts the eyes. But it kind of feels like better sound and better graphics would destroy the charms of that series. It is kind of funny.

Is it true anime originated from france. Finished Wakfu a month ago. Silly child show, but I liked it a lot. Though not much motivation for Dofus since the episodes seem ti have no connection.

Also watched God Eater and Brave Story. The letter is the better, both are nothing special but I enjoyed them.

#708 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

I have no idea. Regarding Nico Nico Ni.

I just finished Season 1 of Love Live! It's pretty good actually. Good character development. For those who like K-ON!, you'll probably like Love Live.

#709 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

I love K-ON! Though the music is just horrible.

#710 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Just finished Memories - Magnetic Rose. That movie was just awesome.

Also am watching log horizon for some time know. It could have been soo awesome if it would be more adult-like and less 0815. But I am enjoying it anyway. And Akatsuki is a nice medicine against my bad mood. (Also watching Ben 10 from time to time if I need a reality-pause)

Not long ago I watched the trailer for Ghost in the Shell with Scarlet Johanson. I understand that people not used to animation have troubles to sink in with animated movies not intended for kids, but the movie seems pretty bad compared to the anime. Storywise the GitS universe should be great material for a movie and I don't dislike recycling stuff, but the bit I have seen is pretty much identical to the animated movies and Scarlet doesn't make a good Makoto. The naked-suit scenes also look lame and Sato (not sure if this is the correct name, the one with artificial eyes) looks hilarious, to alter the story a bit and to create new charakters should have made a far better movie. I mean like with tributes of panem some actors just have faces that are perfect to give a certain impression and while Scarlet would make a great charakter in the GitS universe for Makoto someone like Sigourney Weaver would be more fitting in my opinion.

#711 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

JoJo is getting pretty crazy.  Dunno if anyone here watches it, but it's getting insane.

#712 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:49 AM

Ive recently finished ReZero, and I am continually watching Haikyuu Season 3 every week.

Myself and a mate of mine are going to sit down and watch the original Ghost In The Shell, apparently its a classic.

Also ive someone has recommend to me Steins Gate, which I will have to get into at some point.

#713 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:19 AM

Between boredom + being sick with the flu = Let's try to watch all of the seasons of Pokemon that I missed. AKA about everything past Johto. I believe I had seen about half of Hoenn (Gen3) and somewhat less like that with Sinnoh (Gen4) during their initial run. Unova (Gen5) and Kalos (Gen6) probably about 5 episodes combined.

At this point, I've gotten through Hoenn and Sinnoh + half? of Unova, I'm actually kind of surprised how decent Sinnoh was. Like it wasn't as interesting as Gen 1 (although that could be everything being new at the time + nostalgia and all that), but I'd probably put it as my #2 region in terms of the Pokemon Anime. Hoenn was decent as well, but not as good in comparison to Sinnoh. Then comes Unova...

I get that Unova was sort of a reboot and all that, but man the anime at this point is so boring. Like contentwise, there's no evil team beyond Team Rocket whom are apparently competent as of now, like the previous seasons didn't exist, (Ash has gotten all 8 badges at the point I'm at. Where's Team Plasma?) + both of Ash's traveling companions have essentially no goals in life and contribute very little to the show. I'd go into more, but I doubt anyone here has actually seen/cares about the anime at this point. I've seen the episodes where Dawn (Gen4) returns in Unova and I'm stopping here. There's no one interesting left on the cast that I care enough to watch the episodes to see. Bring back Misty, Brock, May and/or Dawn as mains and I'll consider watching the anime again.

#714 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

To be honest at first I thought something along the lines "Pokemon? For little kids, no interest." Pretty dumb regarding how much stuff for kids I myself watch. Anyway, I remembered your post at a later point and gave it a 2nd thought. And I agree, the quality has gone down. At least as far as I remember the show.

Pokemon is a really slow pathed show, it feels a lot like it is made so that even the biggest idiots can understand absolutly anything. I am not saying it is a show for idiots, only that you get at times really little information in a long time. That hasn't changed over the years and is at least to me the reason I don't enjoy Pokemon very much in general. But additional to that the series seems to have decided to bound and limit itself more to the game content and also to aim more for a 6-year audience than a 12-year audience. The few later episodes I watched even resemble learning shows like Dora to a certain point I think. Combined with the slow pathed way to contribute new information it gets unbearable for older people to watch unlike the early seasons.

The early Charakters were not really flashy (I don't know the english names), but the small main group (including Team Rocket) had a minimum of backgroundstory, a minimum of charakter-development (also over more than one episode) and the bonds between them or their pokemon did grow over time. You could identify with them. There even was drama that was adressing worries little kids and adults can understand. Situations of danger (Ash or Misty having a serious fever, caring for the other one, Ash's Charizard was abused by its former trainer, wild pokemon often resembled wild animals), quarrels with a bit more content behind it (for example misty with her three sisters or Mewtwo's confusion about its existence), and most one-time charakters were themself not remarkable but brought a compassionate story about the pokemon or a pokemon-based event with them that made you heat up for the story.

The later charakters pretty much lack any serious backgroundstory and go through standard-stuff that is resolved during one epiode, not much of charakter-development. Instead they add a lot of reoccuring charakters, you could say quantity over quality. Useful for little kids that can't concentrate their attention very well, but nothing for people that want to identify with the heros. There also barely is drama, more like storys based around little kids feeling powerless or inferior that resolves in a situations that encourages them. Like crying over a lost contest and going on afterwards or were the little child (that is added to the main-groups later, fitting the new little-kid-stories) is too small to help (say the others) and in the end solves the problem. Pretty much stuff like crying that mother doesn't love you anymore because you didn't get enough attention or made a mistake, typical for really small childs, but nothing adults or even older kids can identify with. Also most (side-)charakters have a really flashy appearance now (nearly more like pokemon than humans, I think I rather not like it), but the storys they contribute feels more like from an NPC in a game, no compassion at all.

In short the early seasons include storys and charakters that are not too relevant for older people, but you can identify with them. The later seasons lack that and aim more for little kids, therefore they also concentrate more on content that doesn't make little kids afraid and grabs there attention (colorful with many effects, silly, short-lifed) which make the content even more boring for older people.

Another real problem is that the first season made Pokemon interesting and gave them incredible backgroundstorys, including some great mysteries, while the game barely gave any information. It was like diving into a fantasy-world, exiting and a bit thrilling. Most of the stuff has not much to do with the game and mostly wouldn't mix well with it. The new seasons are really limited to the game, the game gives away a lot more information, but it still is not much and it kind of feels like there really isn't more to know (I don't have a 3DS but Sun and Moon seems to be a big change to the better). Like  because of a strong storm the nature-environement changed, the situation for the pokemon is troublesome, the pokemon make puppy eyes, the team helps them, everyone is happy, zero new information about the pokemon... I also like to watch serious shows about animal wildlife, the "old" pokemon resembled wildlife a little bit at times, the "new" ones are mostly just cute little things, a bit like the smurfs.

To give a few examples, ghost and psycho pokemon. In the first season both are really mysterious. I mean Sabrina with her little kid avatar and her incredible powers, including her pokemon. And the ghost house when the ghost-pkemon pull ash out of his body. This part of the first season is one of my highlights. Not to mention Mewtwo. Obviously it is not good content for the game since it makes both types highly overpowered. And I can't remember any episode in later seasons that gives these types such powers again, at best a harmless ghost story that also includes ghost-pokemon. Another example would be the three giant pokemon from objects that pull in all humans around. Gengar and Alakazam, that can only be calmed by Jygglipuff singing. Compared to that even most real legendaries of the new generations are just plain boring.

[edit] I wrote this out of boredom offline on a bad day. Just copy/paste and now I am a bit shocked how much I actually wrote XD

Edited by Naru, 21 December 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#715 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Pokemon has gotten kind of stale for me past Sinnoh too.  x.x;

I'm a big SoL (Slice of life) anime watcher now.  I may start two new animes today since I finished Okusama S1 and Teekyuu 8.  lol...

#716 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

Between boredom + being sick with the flu = Let's try to watch all of the seasons of Pokemon that I missed. AKA about everything past Johto. I believe I had seen about half of Hoenn (Gen3) and somewhat less like that with Sinnoh (Gen4) during their initial run. Unova (Gen5) and Kalos (Gen6) probably about 5 episodes combined.

At this point, I've gotten through Hoenn and Sinnoh + half? of Unova, I'm actually kind of surprised how decent Sinnoh was. Like it wasn't as interesting as Gen 1 (although that could be everything being new at the time + nostalgia and all that), but I'd probably put it as my #2 region in terms of the Pokemon Anime. Hoenn was decent as well, but not as good in comparison to Sinnoh. Then comes Unova...

I get that Unova was sort of a reboot and all that, but man the anime at this point is so boring. Like contentwise, there's no evil team beyond Team Rocket whom are apparently competent as of now, like the previous seasons didn't exist, (Ash has gotten all 8 badges at the point I'm at. Where's Team Plasma?) + both of Ash's traveling companions have essentially no goals in life and contribute very little to the show. I'd go into more, but I doubt anyone here has actually seen/cares about the anime at this point. I've seen the episodes where Dawn (Gen4) returns in Unova and I'm stopping here. There's no one interesting left on the cast that I care enough to watch the episodes to see. Bring back Misty, Brock, May and/or Dawn as mains and I'll consider watching the anime again.

I actually read about this back in the day randomly checking Serebii- Team Plasma was supposed to show up in Castelia City early on to attack the city, but uh, when it was going to air, Japan had that massive tsunami/earthquake which caused major problems particularly in nuclear power plants, and was just disastrous for the country; so they kind of just dropped the whole thing due to similarities.  The plotline was effectively killed right then and there and pretty much changed the shape of the story moving forward.

#717 Joey2216

Joey2216

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

I'm going to re watch oreimo 

#718 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:21 AM

@Naru: Yeah, agreed with like everything. Still a shame as I'd like to see how some of the regions are shown in the Anime and some of the Pokemon, but I just can't stand watching anymore of Gen 5 with complete Novice Ash and two characters along for the ride who have no goals whatsoever in their journey.

Pokemon has gotten kind of stale for me past Sinnoh too.  x.x;

At least I'm not the only one then. Although looking into it it seems to be a fairly popular opinion that post-Sinnoh is where it takes a huge dive in quality. 

I actually read about this back in the day randomly checking Serebii- Team Plasma was supposed to show up in Castelia City early on to attack the city, but uh, when it was going to air, Japan had that massive tsunami/earthquake which caused major problems particularly in nuclear power plants, and was just disastrous for the country; so they kind of just dropped the whole thing due to similarities.  The plotline was effectively killed right then and there and pretty much changed the shape of the story moving forward.

That makes sense I guess, but still disappointing. I hear they come in way later on, but I have no interest in watching any more episodes.

#719 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:20 AM

Wow, that last episode of JoJo Part 4.  I can't wait for part 5.  They haven't confirmed it yet, but I'm guessing it'll come out due to how popular it is in Japan.

#720 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

I think I only watched the first 2 episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012). There were a few elements I really liked though JoJo being rediculed without anyone believing in him depresses me quiet a lot, it resembles my helpless situation a bit too much (even though it obviously is still very different). Also Dio is mad beyond help, I find it a bit difficult to endure watching him, he is too emotion driven to see him as an inhuman psycho, but he is also completly free of kindness.

• thepsynergist likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users