EZGBZ 2.5 tileset

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#46 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Alright, it's been a while since I've played the Oracle games, but here's what I remember...

IPB Image

The item to the left of the crossed-out Fairy is the Ring Box. In the Oracle games, you could find Rings that, when appraised at a specific shop, could be equipped to Link. You can imagine the Rings as a simplified version of the Badges from Paper Mario, they would do things like increase attack power at the cost of defense, or allow Link to punch enemies when he had nothing equipped. One would even replace his graphics with the ones from the original NES Legend of Zelda game. Anyways, the shop would keep a hold of your rings, and you could pick out one (or three, with the upgraded box) to carry with you. You could only equip one ring at a time, so you would have to carefully consider what effects would help you out most.

The blue and red rocks to the right of the crossed-out Fairy are Ore. In Oracle of Seasons, there was a second explorable world called Subrosia. Link's Rupees were worthless there, and in order to buy things at the shops, you had to use your shovel and dig up Ore. I suppose these could be used for replacement Rupee graphics, for a somewhat authentic use.

The next set that come to mind are the orb-shaped items at the very bottom, in pink. Starting from left to right, we first have a wrecking ball. I believe this is the one from Link's Awakening, Dungeon #7: Eagle's Tower. You picked it up with the Power Bracelet and threw it at four pillars in order to cause the floor above you to collapse and allow you to advance.

The orb with the "N" on it is a magnetic ball. In one of the Oracle games, you got an item called the Magnetic Gloves. You could use them to be pulled towards/pushed away from corresponding magnetic blocks (releasing the button would flip the polarity on the gloves for the next use, allowing some interesting puzzles), and you could pull these magnetic orbs towards and away from you. The letter on the object allowed you to see the polarity you needed to oppose it.

The two pearl-looking items to the right of the "N" ball were the completed Essences in the Oracle Games. Just like how Link's Awakening had the Magic Instruments, the Oracle games had the Essences of Ages/Seasons at the end of each dungeon. Once you had all of them, you would be given one of these pearls and it would allow you to complete the final level. Basically, you can use these as completed Triforce graphics (for when you battle Ganon and hold it up.)

The variety of items beneath the LA trade items are all trade items for the Oracle games, so you don't have to worry too much about those.

The pair of skulls above where you've labeled the LA trade items are animation frames for the same item, the Captain's Skull. You had to hold it up while traversing a desert, and the teeth would chatter the closer you were to an item you had to look for. Basically, it was a radar-type item that was held up with the Power Bracelets.

To the right of the crossed-out tunic is a Stone Beak, you could find them hidden in the dungeons in LA, and they would let you receive hints from the Owl Statues hidden around the same dungeon the beak was found in.

I don't recall what the odd-looking star is for, but I'm going to use it for a reference point to show some more items. To the immediate right of the star item is a Punching Glove. You found this to convince Ricky the Kangaroo to allow Link transport in his pouch.

The five tiny items to the right of the Punching Glove are, in order: Ember Seed (single-use lantern), Scent Seed (use as Slingshot/Seed Shooter ammunition to damage enemies, or drop them on the ground for the same effect as bait), Pegasus Seed (single-use temporary Pegasus Boot effect), Gale Seed (teleport Link to any seed tree on the overworld), and Mystery Seed (various special effects when used on some objects or bosses, random seed effect when used normally). The four shapes to the right of the seeds are gems that you had to use to open a sealed gate in Oracle of Seasons.

Above the four shaped gems is a rock that I don't quite remember what it was used for, but the three objects to the left are leaves used for cutscenes when the Mako Tree told Link where to go next.

---
These are items I remembered after putting the list together...

After the Cutscene leaves on the list in this post, there are the individual Essences. I don't recall if these are the ones from Seasons or Ages, but you got one of these every time you finished a dungeon. You could use these for replacement Triforce Pieces.

In Oracle of Ages, you received the Harp of Ages, which let you learn three songs to manipulate time. The three symbols here represented each song when you selected the Harp in the equipment screen.

In Link's Awakening, you received an Ocarina. Again, you could learn three songs, the next set of symbols were the songs for this game.

EDIT: Just added some labeled pictures. These are everything I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Edited by kurt91, 22 March 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#47 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

(Sorry I haven't posted in a while; things have been quite busy.)

Thanks a ton, kurt91!

This helped me identify which items to classify as "Dungeon Items" and a few others. Right now I have a little over 10 items left on the screen, so I plan on putting them all in the "Miscellaneous" section.

Well, I think that's it for the basics.
Now, if someone could help me identify the cut-grass tiles for all of the tall grass combos, that would be nice. That's one of my setbacks with this project.

#48 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Above the four shaped gems is a rock that I don't quite remember what it was used for

The four gems were used to access the Tarm Ruins, so they're basically act like keys.

#49 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

(Sorry I've been putting this off for a bit. icon_frown.gif )
Update:

Thanks to the GB-styled demos shown off in the recent Expo, I've got the exposure I needed to figure out the issue I was having with the tall grass. It turns out that most of the combos are in the right places. (Plus, I don't know why I didn't see the cut-bush combos; they were right after the bush combos the whole time!! icon_doh.gif)
I've put the slashed pot combos in the correct positions and ensured they were assigned "Slash->Item" combo type (as opposed to "Slash->Item (Continuous)" combo type which better fits bushes. And no, I'm not changing them to "Flowers" combo type; I'm letting the quest designers decide if they want to do that or not. There's already flower combos in the set, so I won't change Akkabus' setup for that.

Lately, I've been fixing animations that were messed up from the tile pages being moved around. Most of the combos' tile selections transferred over when I'd used the Move command; it's just the animated combos for some reason. Most of the "Eyeball" combos transferred fine.

Anyway, once that's done, I'll post a link to the file so you all can take a look at it.
It won't be 100% how I want it yet because I'd like to make room for all the different warp combos (meaning B, C, D, and Random; they're all set to A by default). However, that might be a hassle because I'll have to count how many combos I need to make room for, and I know there are a lot. If anyone doesn't think this is necessary, please let me know.

#50 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

I know it wasn't in the original games, but can I make a special request?

You know the log tunnels in Link's Awakening in the Forbidden Woods? Could you possibly make ones that go left, right, and down? I'm trying to do this for a forest setup, but can never get it to look right.

#51 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

Glad to know this is still being worked on even if you did put it off for a bit. icon_smile.gif I love EZBGZ, and having a 2.5 version would be awesome. I can't wait to see this done.

#52 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Thanks, King Harkinian! icon_smile.gif
QUOTE(kurt91 @ May 9 2012, 05:00 AM) View Post

I know it wasn't in the original games, but can I make a special request?

You know the log tunnels in Link's Awakening in the Forbidden Woods? Could you possibly make ones that go left, right, and down? I'm trying to do this for a forest setup, but can never get it to look right.

You know, I feel bad because I think I saw your request for that, but never got around to replying to it. icon_sorry.gif

EZGBZ already had a few log entrances that could be used with layers. However, I went ahead and made a south log entrance to match the other one that you speak of. Here's a screenshot from that page:
IPB Image
The one I made is the one to the lower left of the regular north log entrance. Please note that only the top 3 tiles and bottom middle tile need combos; the lower left and lower right tiles are just the bush pattern, put there for aesthetics.

Let me know what you think. Sorry I didn't post it sooner.

And now for an Update:

I found out that all the eyeball combos for NPC sprites were meant to be 2-frame animation for 4-way eyeball combos, so fixing them was pretty much a snap! (Makes me think Akkabus could see into the future of ZC! icon_smile.gif ) It didn't make sense to leave them as 8-direction. I did have to change their order, though, since the setup for 4-way animation is north, south, west, east (versus the N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW of 8-direction); so I just moved the east tiles out of the way (for as many different characters as there was room at the top of the page) and moved the south and west tiles to the left all together, then moved the east tiles to their correct position.

I also finished going through the entire combo set, taking note of how many stair and direct warp combos there were so that I can calculate how far down to move the combo table to make room for all the new ones.
I found out Akkabus accidentally left a copy of his "Cycle" combos on combo page 60 when he copied them to pages 18-19 (eight combos are on page 18, the rest on page 19). (Hey, we all make mistakes.) I fixed all the "Next Combo" selections and created a few end combos that were needed, and then deleted the duplicates from page 60.

#53 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hey guess what, everybody? The beta version is complete! Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Here's the link: EZGBZ 2.5 Tileset Beta

(FYI, I've switched my fileshare site to MediaFire due to 4shared.com's policy change that requires a login to download. You shouldn't have to worry about that any more.)

Edit: (Man, I was in such a hurry to post this that I didn't type much! Here's the update details:)
I finally finished moving the combos and creating all the B, C, D, and Random warp combos needed, but only based on what Akkabus already had. Most of the combos that look like caves are "Stairs" combos; I think that's because actual "Cave" combos would make the whole thing appear above Link when it's not supposed to (i.e. halfway to entering). I noticed that with one or more of the demos from the Expo.

Unless you guys advise me on what changes need to be made, I'll only be adding any additional tiles that I think are needed in the categorized tile pages (e.g. Candles, Bracelets, Wands, etc.).

Oh, and BTW, I updated some of the images I previously posted in this thread (within the first 30 posts). Now that I have a fileshare other than 4shared.com, you can actually see the details without clicking on each picture.

Edited by Lightwulf, 11 May 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#54 Thomas G. House

Thomas G. House

Senior

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I'll try it. icon_thumbsup.gif

#55 Thomas G. House

Thomas G. House

Senior

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Wait, which version did you use to make this?I can't open it....

I managed to get it work. Here are some things(In spoiler so you can just read on):

Spoiler

By the way here are some bugs.(?)
  1. There is no game icon.
  2. The Continue Screen is invisible.

Edited by L L L L L LINK, 13 May 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#56 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for trying this out, L L L L L Link!
QUOTE(L L L L L LINK @ May 13 2012, 01:12 PM) View Post

Wait, which version did you use to make this?I can't open it....
I managed to get it work. Here are some things(In spoiler so you can just read on):

- First screen(yes I'm remaking the 1st quest why do you ask?):
IPB Image
TEH HAMMER
IPB Image
Hyrule Field.(except it's not a field at all)
IPB Image
-

By the way here are some bugs.(?)
  1. There is no game icon.
  2. The Continue Screen is invisible.
Just to clarify, this tileset was updated using version 2.5 RC2.

BTW, I couldn't see those images until I quoted your post here and removed the spoiler tags (and clicked on "Preview Post"). For some reason, the images don't show up for me when they're in spoiler tags.
Am I the only one??? Can anyone else see images in spoiler tags???

Regarding the bugs:
1. Fixed. I forgot about those after I moved the Link sprites around.
2. I understand the problem with this one but I don't know the solution. Problem: the text is set to black to go with a tan background (as is normally seen in GB games). I don't know how to make it so that regular text is black and continue screen text is not. Does anyone else know???

Edited by Lightwulf, 14 May 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#57 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I just downloaded the beta. I can't wait to try it out. icon_smile.gif

#58 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hello all. It's been awhile. I've had an idea, as well as a discovery of something (possibly) needed.

1. The idea I had, tell me what you think, is to have the tileset already pre-loaded with GB SFX. That way it's already set up to make a GB quest. Is this a good idea? Or should I leave it to the individual questmaker to make the decision to import GB SFX?

2. I discovered, while making my quest for the 2-week contest (which was in a different tileset, keep in mind), that I hadn't even looked at the subscreens available in this tileset. Since this was upgraded from before we had the capabilities of editing subscreens, there are only the (previously) default 4:
- "Active (Triforce)", a.k.a the overworld subscreen
IPB Image
- "Active (Dungeon)"
IPB Image
- "Passive (Magic)"
IPB Image
- "Passive (No Magic)" (same as above but w/ no magic bar)

If you're familiar with the 2.5 classic (default) tileset, you'll know that there are a lot more subscreens than those that I just listed. In updating a different tileset to 2.5 (for my 2-week contest quest), I gained some valuable experience so that I know what I'm doing. So, my intention is to mimic what 2.5 classic tileset uses, but in GB style (of course). So, I guess my question is this: Should I just recreate the exact same subscreens as in 2.5 classic? (If you need to see them, just start a new quest in version 2.5 RC2 {since that's what version I'm updating this for} and open the subscreen editor.)

3. Also, if you have any subscreen suggestions (a.k.a. awesome GB subscreens you've seen, made, or used) that you think would be a good addition to EZGBZ 2.5, please post them here.

Edited by Lightwulf, 25 June 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#59 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

The part with the SFX is an amazing idea!!!(even if you put SFX its still their choice to change it to others if other SFX were in it they still would need to change it). People that want to make GB games will however have a blast because of that.

#60 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

• Members

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

I have a subscreen idea. How about a ZC compatible version of the Link's Awakening subscreen? Active Triforce would have the items on the left, and on the right "triforce pieces" and then quest items like the ladder or rings. Active Dungeon would just replace the triforce piece with a mini map. If only scripts could modify the passive subscreen to be at the bottom and not as tall....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users