74 replies to this topic

#46 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Stungun @ Jun 20 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post

As the others have voiced, it isn't fair to deny a native their own name.

How would you like it if you were still on Initialized, and some other forum's chatroom moved over and one of the members who also used "Sephiroth" as a screenname demanded you give up your name on the server to avoid confusion? Think about it.

Quoted for agreement.

Also, it might be your username here, but we're talking about the name of a popular Final Fantasy character, it's no surprise at all that it was already taken when we got to NorthFire, even if NorthFire is a small server. You'll just have to make do, because like half of the other people in this topic are saying, it's rude for any of us—the new arrivals to the server—to make demands of any sort when they've been nice enough to let us move the channel there.

#47 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Espilan @ Jun 20 2008, 06:09 PM) View Post

Quoted for agreement.

Also, it might be your username here, but we're talking about the name of a popular Final Fantasy character, it's no surprise at all that it was already taken when we got to NorthFire, even if NorthFire is a small server. You'll just have to make do, because like half of the other people in this topic are saying, it's rude for any of us—the new arrivals to the server—to make demands of any sort when they've been nice enough to let us move the channel there.

I agree.

Besides, I use Takuya EVERYWHERE. It's MY online identity. Though in gmail I had to use takuya813, as well as on other sites.it doesn't make me any less human, or make me angry, because you have to face the fact that common names are taken. Sephiroth is probably one of the most, if not the most, recognized character in a Final Fantasy series. Life ain't fair.

#48 Darksix

Darksix

• Members

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

Well as I said, I tryed to get the nickname back for you, but it just can't happen, sorry eh. So, since you decided to leave northfire did you want me to remove your admin status? or will you be coming back?

#49 Dani

Dani

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

Well that was surprising ;D

If your nick has been taken, and it's as generic as "Sephiroth", did you ever stop to wonder if your nick might be someone else's online identity too? First in best dressed... and in this case, the current Sephiroth on Northfire was there before you. He has every right to keep his nick.

I completely agree with Stungun. Think outside of your own little circle for once - it may enlighten you. Or mature you.

#50 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Darksix @ Jun 22 2008, 05:08 PM) View Post

Well as I said, I tryed to get the nickname back for you, but it just can't happen, sorry eh. So, since you decided to leave northfire did you want me to remove your admin status? or will you be coming back?

Go ahead and remove it. I'm done with the network.

#51 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

That's a shame, Sephiroth.

I'll look into taking the position over for you though, so no worries icon_smile.gif

#52 Dani

Dani

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

There is a crucial difference between hiring someone with knowledge, and hiring someone with knowledge and sense.

#53 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

Excuse me?

Are you being serious? By chance talking about me or Sephiroth?

Anyways, it's all taken care of. It'll be a nice learning experience.

#54 Dani

Dani

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

It was more aimed at Sephiroth... but it's a pity that they're taking on anyone who puts their hand up to operate the network. I'd like to think the network my channel resides on is run by people who put a little more thought into choosing their staff... or we may find history repeating itself...

Then again, most IRCops are the same with their elitist attitudes, which basically revolve around their own interests.

#55 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

Nah, they don't just take anybody, Dani, I'm sure of it.

I was questioned and knowledge is indeed needed. icon_wink.gif

#56 Dani

Dani

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

What I mean is... you should be getting to know people before you hire them. There is also a trust factor when you give someone oper flags on your server. It's all fine and dandy for you to say "it's cool man, you can trust me!" - but the owner really should be considering that it's only your word they can rely on.

I'd personally be spending a while conversing with potential candidates and monitoring their "activities" in different channels over a period of time before hiring them.

#57 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:28 AM

Darksix, the person who hired me has taken place in all my channels since the start.

I've also proven I'm not a power abuser in #purezc and can handle 'myself, but yes, I get what you're saying, and I agree.

However, I think its a little different in the situation I'm in.

#58 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(Dani @ Jun 23 2008, 01:26 AM) View Post

What I mean is... you should be getting to know people before you hire them. There is also a trust factor when you give someone oper flags on your server. It's all fine and dandy for you to say "it's cool man, you can trust me!" - but the owner really should be considering that it's only your word they can rely on.

I'd personally be spending a while conversing with potential candidates and monitoring their "activities" in different channels over a period of time before hiring them.

Quite right. It took WB, what, less than a day to get IRCop? Not that I have a problem with him in particular being an IRCop (I've known him for a few years now and can easily say that he's more than capable), but it does make me wonder how difficult it would be to get an oper flag on this network...

Knowledge is easy to come by--anyone can take a glance at UnrealIRCd's help file and instantly have the knowledge that's "required" to be an IRCop, but in my opinion, being an IRCop (or being a good one, anyway) is more than just being able to know how to use /svs and OperServ commands--you also need to be able to be fair and to settle disputes and handle interpersonal relationships.

These comments aren't directed at anyone in particular though, and especially not Nate who I believe is mature enough to handle the position. Congratulations.

#59 Dani

Dani

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

I noticed that Wild Bill was hired in only a couple of days by the owner of Omen. Sephiroth was recently granted a position on Blood. I saw darksix asking if people had any IRCop + UnrealIRCD knowledge just the other day for his server. If you need opers, that's fine... but the network has been our new home for about a week. That's hardly time to interpret the nature of this new mass of users. Anyone can sweet talk and act innocent, but once power is placed in their hands... some get in over their head.

#60 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

That is very true, Dani. I responded to your PM, by the way, but you've probably read it already by the time you see this.

I'll talk to Darksix about it. I believe that they aren't looking for anymore people at this point.

I almost think that WB was given status just because of his status at Initialized.

But yes, I agree with both of you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users