Zelda Classic is Open Source

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#46 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:11 AM

So, I can't get allegro to build, and apparently that's some special version of allegro so I can't download it from anywhere else?

Also, the provided allegro is a zip, so the permissions are all borked. :(

Anyway, not much point really trying until 2.5.2 is uploaded or whatever.

Here's my notes at attempting to build that allegro on linux, if anybody wants it:

Spoiler

#47 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:06 AM

Hmm...any thoughts on having cmake integration or some other project generator? It may make things easier for the future.

I've had some experience porting a big project to use cmake, so I can be of some help here.

Not something I've ever looked into, but yeah, that'd be nice to have.

What kind of programming wizardry would be required to revamp the palette structure?

Not too sure. Just putting more CSets into level palettes may not be too hard, but anything more extensive than that would take some work.

So, I can't get allegro to build, and apparently that's some special version of allegro so I can't download it from anywhere else?

Is your system 64-bit? I've never gotten that to work, but building in a 32-bit virtual machine or chroot works fine.
The files that are different in our build are in allegro/fixed, so you can just get 4.2.2 and copy those over. I don't remember for certain, but I think 4.2.3 won't work.

#48 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

What is the difference between allegro/allegro and allegro/fixed exactly? I'm currently working on a cmake branch (internal for now), and the existing allegro files are...well, not friendly with modern tools. MSVC actually offers inttypes.h and stdint.h now. I can maybe invoke some trickery as long as I have a header come before the allegro stuff, but...well, I'm trying to minimize my footprint for now.

#49 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

What is the difference between allegro/allegro and allegro/fixed exactly? I'm currently working on a cmake branch (internal for now), and the existing allegro files are...well, not friendly with modern tools. MSVC actually offers inttypes.h and stdint.h now. I can maybe invoke some trickery as long as I have a header come before the allegro stuff, but...well, I'm trying to minimize my footprint for now.

allegro/allegro is simply the allegro42(fixed) include files. I have MSVC point to this directory in include paths. allegro/fixed is just the complete source package if you wanted to compile allegro from scratch.

(Code::Blocks) Saffith, I hear, uses Code::Blocks. Perhaps he might want to donate some project files as a starting piont for those who prefer that.

(Visual Studio specific): If all else fails, in build_modules, you can actually just build those files and forget about everything else. In fact, I can't actually build ZC anymore without them on VC++. I'd like to actually have someone generate and maintain vs2010 projects, since most people don't use 2008 anymore.

#50 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

(Code::Blocks) Saffith, I hear, uses Code::Blocks. Perhaps he might want to donate some project files as a starting piont for those who prefer that.

(Visual Studio specific): If all else fails, in build_modules, you can actually just build those files and forget about everything else. In fact, I can't actually build ZC anymore without them on VC++. I'd like to actually have someone generate and maintain vs2010 projects, since most people don't use 2008 anymore.

And this is why I started the cmake branch, so that we don't have to maintain multiple project files anymore.

https://github.com/A...aClassic/pull/8

Still a work in progress, but you can hopefully see what I'm going for. I'll have no choice but to make a new cmake.config.h file or something to include updated definitions since I'd rather someone else update the allegro libraries. (Visual Studio has newer headers after all)

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#51 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

A cmake file sounds great, it'll be easier to compile the code with allegro5 libraries. I use VS Enterprise 2015, I think a good start would be to try to rewrite the code in C++11 format, most of it looks like C98 to me. Basically it looks like C with C++ syntax.

Edit: C++11 has faster running time on average, requires an objected oriented approach though.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 05 February 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#52 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Random rewrites of the code aside, updating the allegro version would be a good idea, I think. Allegro 4.2.2 is from 2007, and I had a hard time hunting down the libraries for it. Updating it should probably be done sometime soon.
  • SyrianBallaS likes this

#53 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:25 PM

A cmake file sounds great, it'll be easier to compile the code with allegro5 libraries. I use VS Enterprise 2015, I think a good start would be to try to rewrite the code in C++11 format, most of it looks like C98 to me. Basically it looks like C with C++ syntax.

Edit: C++11 has faster running time on average, requires an objected oriented approach though.

Not everybody likes modern c++ though. I actually find it almost useless in practice. ZC up to 2.10 was mostly C code so had a rich background with C--nothing wrong with that--DN and PM were old-school. I would even say that some of the c++ aspects of ZC cause the most headaches to work with.

Oh boy, oh boy, this will be fun. :)

Reference or data supporting this?

Random rewrites of the code aside, updating the allegro version would be a good idea, I think. Allegro 4.2.2 is from 2007, and I had a hard time hunting down the libraries for it. Updating it should probably be done sometime soon.

It was a good idea back when I thought of it years ago too! :P

...As you can see it never happened. >_>
  • grayswandir likes this

#54 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

So...anyone want to tackle upgrading Allegro to 5.0.x? https://github.com/A...assic/issues/13

#55 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

So...anyone want to tackle upgrading Allegro to 5.0.x? https://github.com/A...assic/issues/13

Maybe if I can get it to compile first... :(

Could I get a list of all the versions of all the dependent libraries? For instance, I downloaded the most recent version of gme, and it's missing a few calls that I found in an older version.

Edit: Specifically:

./libs/linux/libzcsound.so: undefined reference to `Gbs_Emu::Gbs_Emu(double)'
It's in this one (0.2.6): https://github.com/d...c_Emu/Gbs_Emu.h

But not in this one (0.6.0): https://github.com/m...aster/Gbs_Emu.h

Edited by grayswandir, 06 February 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#56 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

That's it I'm forking this. I know enough of C++ to make some nice edits.

• Jared likes this

#57 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:16 AM

Question: If you edit the original Zelda Classic (by changing a few things (e.g. Z3 scrolling etc.)), and if you make a quest using the edited ZC, are you able to submit the quest onto the database with the edited ZC file in the description? 

Edited by Joelmacool, 07 February 2016 - 06:16 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#58 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:39 AM

What kind of programming wizardry would be required to revamp the palette structure? Not that I'm expecting anyone to do this today or anything, but I'm sure that's something a lot of people would love. If someone made a fork version with a palette more akin to game maker, or really, any other 2D image manipulator, it could do great things for future quests. You could still make csets, and palettes, but you would not be limited to 4, or 8 bit color options per tile, etc. At least in my perfect, crack filled, world.

yeah yo! needs me some more colors at a time. so one cset can be all skin tones so we can all make people and not have whiney sjws rag on zquesters with "Nahhehhhgurgg whys they 3 colors? why is they all orangezes? dude, there are 9 kinds of what people call black, and you only managed 2? you horrible person!"

#59 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Could I get a list of all the versions of all the dependent libraries? For instance, I downloaded the most recent version of gme, and it's missing a few calls that I found in an older version.

The headers and compiled libraries are in the repo, in the include and libs directories. libzcsound.so is in there, too.

Edit: Specifically:
./libs/linux/libzcsound.so: undefined reference to `Gbs_Emu::Gbs_Emu(double)'
It's in this one (0.2.6): https://github.com/d...c_Emu/Gbs_Emu.h
But not in this one (0.6.0): https://github.com/m...aster/Gbs_Emu.h

I think we're using 0.3.0. I don't remember why, but I tried updating it once, and it's not trivial.

#60 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

The headers and compiled libraries are in the repo, in the include and libs directories. libzcsound.so is in there, too.

Sadly, none of those work. Maybe it's because I'm on 64bit? I guess I'll try to compile again with 32bit somehow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users