A Sprite A Day Keeps the Rust Away.

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#496 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

Interesting, the "smooth" has a kind of a Paper Mario vibe I didn't expect.

#497 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

Shining Soul 2 inspired me to do a softer look with the sprites, colorizing the inside lines.

cCDjF0N.gifLR1DZqY.gif

Going to redo the hi-res graphics at a later point in time; mostly the tiles and Vector himself are looking a bit awkward to me compared to Lo and Smooth.  I like the vectorized look Smooth gives the game; since our games will feature toons and humans coexisting anyway, a more cartoonish looking style wouldn't hurt at all.  Get it?  Character named Vector, game looks vectorized?  I'll end the post now.

Edited by Koh, 22 March 2016 - 02:49 PM.

• Anthus and Joelmacool like this

#498 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:27 AM

I made a sprite when I should have been studying.

So... I was setting up MC Link sprites for my quest, when I started thinking about his proportions since he's not really a child or an adult, and... this happened:

vfup9e.jpg

The three Links were kind enough to take a group picture for me:

10e1wg2.jpg

So... yeah. If I had any free time on my hands it'd totally be fun to make all the sprites for Young Link and Adult Link for ZC.

It's funny how easy it looks like it was to make this. It was hard. I had 4 different versions/redesigns between MC Link and Adult Link before I got it right, and the same thing is true for Young Link.

I'd appreciate credit if used.

Nice work.

Minish Cap Link is based off of Link from The Wind Waker.  I recently learned of some interesting concept art for that game:
linkoriginaldesign.jpg

Apparently they originally intended Link to age during The Wind Waker.  Maybe you could use this image to give you inspiration for Tall Link?  In particular, his facial features are more striking and your sprite might benefit from a more pronounced chin.

• Jared and Cukeman like this

#499 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

Nice work.

Minish Cap Link is based off of Link from The Wind Waker.  I recently learned of some interesting concept art for that game:
linkoriginaldesign.jpg
Apparently they originally intended Link to age during The Wind Waker.  Maybe you could use this image to give you inspiration for Tall Link?  In particular, his facial features are more striking and your sprite might benefit from a more pronounced chin.

Those images are in the Hyrule Historia I believe, which I have. I was trying to create the OoT versions of Adult and Young Link in MC graphics, but I agree it'd be neat to see beta WW versions of Adult and Young Link in MC graphics too. As they would be a closer match to MC Link in appearance and proportion.

Also, the three Links at the bottom of the image are a great example of what I mean when I say that MC Link is between childhood and adulthood. Both WW and MC Link are closest in height and design to the Link in the middle, at least it certainly seems that way to me.

EDIT: It's neat that Adult WW Link kind of made it into the game (as a statue of OoT Link).

Edited by Cukeman, 24 March 2016 - 03:50 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#500 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

Some not so great try to make some female sprites. Not even finished...

wxKy98X.png

• Sheik and Cukeman like this

#501 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

Is it just for funsies, or are you planning to have different playable female characters?  Could be an interesting concept if you had to swap between the oracles and use their abilities x3.

Finally got around to redoing the sprites for Vector and Hi-Res, after some practice.

xmBnhMN.gifKozLKg0.gif

So what have we here?  Hi-Res graphics will now not only sport finer detail and double animation frames, but also an extra layer of shading for more colorfulness, now that there is extra space~

Edited by Koh, 10 June 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#502 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

don't know enough about spriting to give quality-feedback, but for the low-res the shirt looks like a metal jaw.

I planned to make Mapel (or whatever she was named) the main protagonist of a funny (but not joke-) zelda quest, with her broom as sword and I also would let her fly instead of swimming. Part of her quest is to switch into the roles of the oracles (at certain places with stone icons, reliving the history and changing the actual time), each of the oracles has own items and abilitys, Din explores the overworld and changes seasons, Farore solves secrets and explores dungeons, with Nayru I am a bit w/o plan since the oracles already play in the past, but she could be more interesing as you could gain information through hearing the echos of time or something like that. But though I honesty tried, I am not good with the EZGBZ palettes.

• Koh and Cukeman like this

#503 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

"Why's 8-bit Link gotta be so fat?"

lOPLedc.png

CcKHDYT.gifM18TyTd.gifFqXdGP0.gifkQVJ4CH.gif

lZjFcNM.gifS9Gc0Lc.gifsKzd6Hv.gifKazurCe.gif

0c59lnn.gif9lqlpKg.gifTbQrKeV.gifVCx5iwa.gif

cPjGGV8.gif

Edited by Koh, 17 July 2016 - 09:58 AM.

• Shane and Naru like this

#504 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

Fatshaming! We don't want anorectic Link! Make Link fat again!

• Koh likes this

#505 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Woman from Bruce Almighty:  "I lost 40 pounds on the Krispy Kreme diet!"

#506 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

He's using 8-way movement.

We don't want anorectic Link!

Then don't use 8-way movement.

#507 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:15 AM

So I decided to practice my spriting skills for stuff outside of ZC and this is what I got.

Funf1c3.giftF9hsvv.giftj8NOXy.gifGMWpBLM.gif

Have some completely custom anthro fox sprite.

hMMFg88.pngAJm1wpp.png

Does this guy look familiar? (Certain colours used come from the Firebird tileset)

Edited by Orithan, 29 July 2016 - 08:42 AM.

• Cukeman likes this

#508 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

The wagging tail is jerky,, and the body seems a bit too wide for him (unless he's a lifter type).  Other than those, not bad.

• Naru likes this

#509 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

lOPLedc.png

cPjGGV8.gif

Oh, this is pretty neat looking.  I wouldn't mind seeing a complete set.

#510 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

lOPLedc.png

cPjGGV8.gif

Finally, you made classic Link sprites without an outline. They look really cool! My only problem is Link seems to be looking downwards when facing the front. Like he's sad or something, you know? Also while the shields block Link's entire view I will let that one slide since the GBZ Link sprites were no better. I would use these should I use classic at some point and should you finish them... :P

So I decided to practice my spriting skills for stuff outside of ZC and this is what I got.

Funf1c3.giftF9hsvv.giftj8NOXy.gifGMWpBLM.gif
Have some completely custom anthro fox sprite.

hMMFg88.pngAJm1wpp.png
Does this guy look familiar? (Certain colours used come from the Firebird tileset)

That's pretty neat! Uhh, now that I look at it a bit more the head seems to have pillow shading (I think that's the term). Or at least the shading is off to me. The tail could use some work as Koh mentioned but I think it's fine either way. Also you sprited your avatar, thought it was Hal at first. Loving that SNES-ish feel and I think you told me that's what you were going for anyway so good job on that!

Oh here, have some very old sprites that I may or may not have shown in the past.

• Cukeman, Demonlink and Naru like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users