My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

• Please log in to reply
3580 replies to this topic

#3526 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

I don't like the show.  I don't like how it seems to be on every corner of the internet in some form or another.  I also don't like that my friends are so into it that they try to force me to like it by showing me episodes periodically. 

That being said, I don't care if other people like it.  It's none of my business.  Let them like what they want, but be mindful that not everyone shares the love that you do.

• DragonDePlatino likes this

#3527 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

This thread has been dead for a bit longer than I'd like, since everyone seemed to skip right over discussing that 'holy-shit-it-was-insanity-incarnate'-type finale. 

But I'm not here to talk about that. Rather, I was in astronomy class today and I had a crazy realization about the pilot episode.

Apparently, the really dark smooth spots on the moon (such as the ones that form Nightmare Moon's face in the pilot) were thought by the Romans to be seas. They were, and continue to be to this day, referred to as Mare (mah-ray, latin for sea). So "Mare in the Moon" is a TRIPLE entendre.

That blew my mind a little bit.

• Beefster likes this

#3528 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

Yup.

I've only seen 2 episodes since I got back from the mission. All I gotta say is that the season 3 opener (said 2 episodes) didn't quite float my boat. Maybe it was the fact that there were 3 songs (normally it's a 1:3 song to episode ratio, not the other way around), none of which really made sense to have in the story (like most of the s1 and s2 songs). Maybe the show is a lot more girly than I remember. Maybe it just went downhill when Lauren Faust left. Whatever the case, I can't really make a solid conclusion until I see more. :blah: I still enjoyed it more than older-gen MLPs, it got quite a few chuckles out of me.

#3529 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:29 AM

Yup.

I've only seen 2 episodes since I got back from the mission. All I gotta say is that the season 3 opener (said 2 episodes) didn't quite float my boat. Maybe it was the fact that there were 3 songs (normally it's a 1:3 song to episode ratio, not the other way around), none of which really made sense to have in the story (like most of the s1 and s2 songs). Maybe the show is a lot more girly than I remember. Maybe it just went downhill when Lauren Faust left. Whatever the case, I can't really make a solid conclusion until I see more. :blah: I still enjoyed it more than older-gen MLPs, it got quite a few chuckles out of me.

Season 3 was all-around a terrible season. Season 4 was their apology for that mess.

Here.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wwZ4suij8oM

Maybe this will change your mind.

EDIT: Forgot to mention.

Spoiler

Edited by Fabbrizio, 05 September 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#3530 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

What the hell did they do to Tirek!?

#3531 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Fabbrizio, on 04 Sept 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Season 3 was all-around a terrible season. Season 4 was their apology for that mess.

Here.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wwZ4suij8oM
Maybe this will change your mind.

EDIT: Forgot to mention.

Spoiler

Princess or not, that doesn't really change anything. There's plenty of princesses out there who are big tomboys, even in Disney (like Vanellope).

EDIT: I guess it does change the fact that she has wings now...

EDIT2: You're right. I just watched S4E1+2, and it's LOADS better.

I'm a little confused about the spell to summon Discord, but I'm sure some random episode in s3 explains that.

Edited by Beefster, 05 September 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#3532 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

The Tirek boss battle, though. Cripes, I could go on for hours finding absolutely asinine amounts of epic fan art of it.

Spoiler

For fun:

Spoiler

For feels:

Spoiler

Edited by Fabbrizio, 05 September 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#3533 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

It still surprises me how much continuity the show has. It's not enough where if you miss an episode, you're lost, but is just so that watching them in order is significantly more enjoyable.

Hmmm. Yep s3 isn't nearly as good as s4. I was expecting the episode with Discord to be awesome and it wasn't. The characters don't seem to be as deep in s3 and things seem to follow a more girl-type approach (less action, more friendship). Not to say that the friendship is bad; it just needs to be shown through the action.

Edited by Beefster, 05 September 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#3534 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:22 AM

It still surprises me how much continuity the show has. It's not enough where if you miss an episode, you're lost, but is just so that watching them in order is significantly more enjoyable.

Hmmm. Yep s3 isn't nearly as good as s4. I was expecting the episode with Discord to be awesome and it wasn't. The characters don't seem to be as deep in s3 and things seem to follow a more girl-type approach (less action, more friendship). Not to say that the friendship is bad; it just needs to be shown through the action.

It definitely has its good moments. Some of my favorite concepts within the world come from season 3, and to be perfectly honest, I thoroughly enjoyed Equestria Girls (for all its serious flaws, it had more than enough great moments for me to re-watch it on a semi-regular basis). And now that I have two younger siblings who are really into MLP, I intend to *cough* use them as an excuse to see Rainbow Rocks in theaters, since the previews are making it look way more exciting and mythical than the first EqG.

And while we're on the topic of going against the grain, I thought Twilight's promotion was very much a good idea. I disliked the approach - if ever she earned it, it was one of the countless times she saved all of Equestria from certain doom. There was no real display of magnitude for the significance of her achievement in the promotion.

That's why I loved season 4 - it's sort of the trial period for her new royalty. Things change, and when we get 24 episodes of Twilight silently demonstrating that her fresh power won't lead her to completely ruin anything (let us flash back for a moment to all the times in seasons 1 through 3 when one of the mane 6 plus spike would inadvertently cause destruction/chaos/death. Applebuck Season, Swarm of the Century, Sonic Rainboom, Stare Master, Over a Barrel, Best Night Ever, Lesson Zero, Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, Secret of my Excess, It's About Time, Dragon Quest, A Canterlot Wedding, Too Many Pinkie Pies), Twilight finally gets a TRUE trial. The greatest challenge of her protagonist career to demonstrate that she has thoroughly earned it. G1 Satan escapes Greek Hell, and Twilight curb-stomps him. Everything changes, and it sets up an expectation for a fantastic season 5, which I hope is truly what we get.

#3535 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

The comic book episode is pretty dang awesome.

I love the references. I thought it was weird at first that Pinkie was the Flash instead of Rainbow Dash, but it actually makes a lot more sense that way the way they wrote it.

EDIT: Fruit bat round up! Fruit bat round up!

Edited by Beefster, 08 September 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#3536 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I guess if the non little girl demographic is large, then the show does a good job, making a show for little girls, that is not so much a show for little girls, with the rage and sterotypes ones with humans might have. If I see feminists on facebook complain about shows. Like if Disney company made all their Princess and hero/Prince characters young teens and put them in a Middle school setting, full of what ever things would happen full of sterotypes. I have a hard time explaning. Just like how they hate "Lego friends" toy line. Not that I know what line of shows have the intent, or when grown men play tv/movie critic and rip apart a barbie movie(made for even younger girls?)

other wise it is like "if you love detective stories, you'll love Blue's Clues!" going on.

I don't watch so much and don't know if I would just ignore the Equestia Girls, I'd only watch such things if I ever go write for a "teens in school" movie. suffer though all of them to write the movie about the boy who goes back in time to a hoaky "Flintstones-esque" stoneage high school. everything is always male protag. I should make the protag a girl i guess.

#3537 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

In response to "Pinkie Pride:"
WEIRD AL GUEST STARRED IN MY LITTLE PONY!
I wish I woulda watched that episode yesterday (For my birthday). I'm pretty sure it's the funniest episode in the entire series. And all 6 songs were pretty awesome... I figured half of them were written by Weird Al, but I ended up being wrong and they were all written by Daniel Ingram. Although I'm sure they wouldn't have gotten their stylistic touch without having Weird Al.

EDIT: Shoot! It has its own Wikipedia page. That's how you KNOW it's good.

Edited by Beefster, 10 September 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#3538 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

Finally finished my remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAvIfyOJVE

Glad to have a really nice looking OC now too.

Edited by Fabbrizio, 10 September 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#3539 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

So I just saw Rainbow Rocks, and HOLY TACO TUESDAY it was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5zvzTcqrE

Spoiler

Also,
Spoiler

It's amazing how when the first one came out, everyone was exclaiming it to be a train wreck, but now with the second one finished, the general consensus asks viciously "where is the third one? I need a third one, stat!"

Edited by Fabbrizio, 28 September 2014 - 02:08 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#3540 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

I have a friend who is implementing four of the cast members into A Doom mod. I've played the beta personally, and I have to say, it's very intense. Voice actors had to be gotten, and someone is drawing over 180 sprites for the various animations required. It's very labor intensive. But the results are amazing, even for only four ponies.

They're extremely powerful, even in their very unfinished state. Dash flies around bucking at you, which does a decent amount of damage on its own, being quite strong herself, but she has plenty of interesting and unique attacks. She'll fly up, disappearing entirely from the stage, and suddenly rainbow beams of light appear around you, slowly tightening in around you wherever you run to. When they're tight, they'll flash, and remain where they are, and a moment later, what I can only describe as a rainbow-colored nuclear explosion surrounds that point on the ground. You had better be nowhere near it if you want to save even a few health points. It's incredible.

She'll also fly at you from well across the room, however big it is. It's really hard to dodge. She also has a "mirror pool" effect, where she spawns a minion (slightly smaller, far less health) that will attack you too. She kinda swears at you the whole time you're fighting her. It's funny.

Twilight is a little less aggressive. Much less aggressive, actually, but she definitely uses her magic to her advantage, naturally. Most of her attacks aren't programmed yet from what I understand, but when the fight begins, she'll immediately grow considerably larger. Then magic will start to gather around her horn. She'll just walk around like this while the glow on her horn gets more and more intense. Eventually it forms into a white-hot ball of energy, which is then sent hurtling toward you. The explosion from this effect is ridiculous. I don't think I've survived one yet. She also does this shadow move where wherever you are, shadowy spell clouds ensnare you, doing tons of damage. I'm not even sure what this is yet.

It's a lot of fun to see, even before they're finished. I can't wait to see what they evolve into.

There are voice clips hidden away somewhere for Celestia and Luna. I'm really psyched to see what comes from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users