Photo

Video Game Madness

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Current Pricing of Video Games

Is the price to game getting to high?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

I'll take an NES or SNES game over a Wii or DS game any day. Retro gamer, that's me! icon_naughty.gif

As for prices, I have a weak grasp on the concept of money, so I have a hard time making an opinion... I suppose prices are getting too high, but that's the case for a lot of things... It's how our economical structure runs... I guess... icon_unsettled.gif

#17 Pol's Voice

Pol's Voice

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

I would say not really. I remember my parents paying $50 for The Adventure of Link almost 20 years ago. The most expensive new game I ever bought was Final Fantasy VI (US III), which set me back frakkin' 75 bucks (not that it wasn't worth it then). Mario 64 also cost me a ton, but it was more a supply and demand sort of thing.

#18 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

If you have a job, the games aren't really a problem.

#19 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

Absolutely. Video Game prices are goin' up way faster than the price of a dollar is going down. This is why I play MDickie games and Zelda Classic.

Edited by fuzzyman, 15 August 2007 - 10:30 AM.

#20 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(GoldenChocobo @ Aug 15 2007, 01:29 AM) View Post

True... if it's a good game, people will pay for it.

I know. Right now I want to buy whatever game FID's avatar came from.

You ever think they're just trying to see how much they can raise prices before people stop buying?
I wouldn't be surprised :O

I already did. =3 ((I just don't play enough to pay that much))

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

This is why I like to lag a generation behind. When everyone else was doing the whole SNES thing, I was wondering how to put my cartridges into the NES. When I had an SNES, people had beaten SM64 many times over. When I got my N64 from a friend and was being AWED by OoT, people were getting awesome at SSBM. The Wii is my first "Modern" synchroneous console.

#22 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Video games are getting expensive. But if you get a job, you should be okay.

#23 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

icon_odd.gif You people are actually complaining about it? Seriously, folks, it's quite understandable. In the previous generations, games would take maybe a year to create with a team of 10 people. Now games take several years with teams of fifty or more people. That's a lot more wages to pay. Add the increasing cost of equipment to create the games, as well as the increasing cost of the next-generation discs (HD, Blu-ray),and other things, making games game be fairly expensive... much more expensive than it was in the 1980s. To cover the increasing cost of making games, the price of the games have gone up. Also, don't forget that these are companies we're talking about. They have to make a profit. If they don't, they won't make games anymore. icon_shrug.gif

Granted, sometimes $50 or $60 can be a ripoff. But with good games, it's well worth the cost. icon_wink.gif

#24 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

BTW...I think FID's avatar is from Soul Caliber 3.

#25 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

I'd also like to point out that after a while, some Gamecube games went for 20 bucks. I think all of the Player's Choice titles are like that. I'm sure Nintendo will do the same for Wii games, such as Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, etc., after a certain length of time. Nintendo games seem to be pretty inelastic when it comes to pricing. I've never seen a Gamecube or Wii game sell for more than 50 bucks. Likewise, I've never seen a DS game sell for more than 35. That's why I never complain about the price of Nintendo games. Sure, the Wii games are expensive. But then, so are clothing and shoes.

#26 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

They're kinda high. At least Wii games (for the most part) stayed at $50.

#27 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

Halo 3's going to be $60.00 for just the basic version... >_<

#28 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Aug 15 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

icon_odd.gif You people are actually complaining about it?

Yup. ^^ Especially those of us who live with the same income that we had with the release of SNES in spite of the ever growing and expanding market. And with the bettering technology that you mentioned, it becomes easier to make games.

B.T.W. My cousin does graphics for Rockstar ((I think that's the name)) and helped create the Grand Theft Auto series. His name is in the credits for Vice City that I know of.. Maybe I should email him a survey about video game creation. Any suggested questions I should ask?

...so are clothing and shoes.

::TANGENT::

True, but those clothes and shoes literally take pocket change to make. Most companies and stores make, like, 1000% profit on merchandise. I don't know about elsewhere in America and the world, but in Detroit there are a variety of embroidered leather jackets that are popular amongst the ghetto folk. ((ghetto as in those who rep the rap and hip-hop genre)) I am told that these jackets cost $500+ a piece. In reality, they cost just a few bucks to make. My brother hauls hundreds of boxes of them from Chinese ships to stores and apparently these companies pay close to nothing for them. icon_shrug.gif

#29 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Around £35 pounds here. That's about $70. And we have to wait for ages to actually GET the games.

#30 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:02 AM

Don't forget that the price that people pay in Europe is often up to £15 less than what we pay. :grr:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users