Xbox One

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#211 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

You know the pressure may have been to much for Don Mattrick as he leaves MS for Zynga.

Read more here; Link removed for safety

Edit: Removed link for safety. 

Edited by Ventus, 02 July 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#212 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Kaspersky won't let me open the link, it reports an attack site. However, if this is true, I'm okay with this. Him I definitely don't like.

#213 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Kaspersky won't let me open the link, it reports an attack site. However, if this is true, I'm okay with this. Him I definitely don't like.

Hmm... Well it seems pretty safe to me Avast doesn't show anything... But I'll edit it out and link somewhere else.

Here is a link to IGN; http://www.ign.com/a...osoft-for-zynga

#214 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Then I'm okay with this. From what I hear, Ballmer isn't much better, but still, one less idiot on the staff.

#215 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

http://www.theverge....dons-off-trolls

So it seems they're likely to implement a reputation system for players, as a sort of filter between the trolls/griefers/etc. to the more mature players.  IF this is done correctly, it could actually be a step in the right direction, but if it's left in the hands of users in a manner such as a Like/Dislike system, it will have many problems.  The first people people downvoting others just for the hell of it, or because they retorted to trolls, or anything else.

#216 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Any form of reputation that isn't controlled by a computer will invite bullying, and the simple unfair nature of the more "popular" people gaining all the spoils.

And if I recall, ain't this the very social dynamic that people play games to avoid? If a video game company made even a fraction of its fans feel like losers while playing their console than it will break everything video games have given fans ever since they turned to video games.

Even if it was monitored by some sort of staff. It is not uncommon for staff members to fall into a level of bias. But do we want computers to be handling this decision either?

My question is, why do video games need to be so social? I mean, if it goes down that route, I'm all for it, but I think it's walking on territory that it doesn't need to walk on.

The video game companies are afraid of games being a cult industry, only appealing to a group of strong fans. But, ain't that what video games always were? This whole marketing to everybody kind of bullshit is slowly turning video games into Facebook.
  • Jared likes this

#217 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

I think they're just adding a sort of monitoring system to online gameplay between people. Think about how often you hear about people's experiences with younger pre-teens on XBoxLive behaving in such a way that it seems like their parents never raised them properly.  This seems like an attempt to reduce that number to as little as possible, since people wouldn't want to play with those who have a very low reputation, thus outcasting them.  No different from real life, where if you treat others like shit, they will not want anything to do with you.  Best they learn it early than late.

#218 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

It makes sense. I have an old friend who used to sign online just to call people faggots and insult random people who he played online with, would play online for hours, but was simply not polite at all to anybody.

We aren't friends no more, not my kind of person.

#219 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

Good news. Let's hope Sony and Nintendo follow suit with something similar.

#220 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Maybe....but like I said, it really shouldn't be user-based, but rather staff-based.  Otherwise, it's not going to make a difference, because it'd be abused like hell, just like like/dislike systems where people go either route just for the hell of it.  I know staff can be biased too, but if there's a team of them to keep each other in check (ideally...still could be problems with that too), it's at least more reliable than allowing each and every person to do it.

Edited by Koh, 05 July 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#221 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

What the computer needs is predictive behavioral pattern checks, for example. If somebody is being bullied through manipulation (the group trying to make him look like the hard case), the computer can read message styles, also the ones who's starting the encounters, and read all the data to determine who the real harasser is, and the staff can more effectively decide.

But that's just another example of how we as people would take the decision out of people's hands, and more into the hands of the machine. lol

#222 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

it's also an example of us handing yet another thing over to Google as they probably are the only company with the patented technology to pull it off.

#223 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

The mark of the beast begins with the letter G.

#224 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hey Google's not all THAT bad xD.  But I already have predicted they'd monopolize everything someday.  The Rise of the Google Empire~  Maybe their next territory conquer can be the XBox One XD.

#225 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Obama is an android created by Google. So was Stephen Harper, but Google admits Harper is a failed prototype, why do you think they let him rule Canada?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users