Xbox One

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#196 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

And to have the OS of the computers running it to be Windows 7 is just plain old funny.

It shows even Microsoft doesn't even love their own windows 8. :lol:

And this kinda shows that Windows 8 is not a gamer-friendly OS. :P

And I don't have vids proving it, but I've been hearing that you can hear Windows error sounds when the Dead Rising 3 demo was presented. Could someone confirm that?

#197 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

While I was watching the dead rising 3 demo on TV I heard the Windows error sounds. And I couldn't help it I had to laugh. :lol:

And the reason I heard it, I have a nice surround sound system set up and I was watching with e volume almost at max where I could hear everything.

#198 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

The only time we can talk about positives is when positive news comes.  That being said....the following news is positive for some, and negative in favor of the XBox.

http://gengame.net/2...one-pre-orders/

http://www.warpzoned...ti-kinect-bill/

#199 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

So hey, Congress is actually doing something right. I hope this passes before the Xbox's release date, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

#200 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'd sooner expect Congress to hijack the feeds for their own ends rather than shut them down.

I get the feeling nothing will come from this.

#201 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

http://www.gameinfor...hqZnXfc.twitter

Don't hold your breath until you see some action.  Action speaks louder than words, after all.

#202 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm honestly not surprised. Pleased, relieved, yes. But not surprised. I said on page one of this thread that with enough backlash, they'd change the more unsavory aspects of the console. And here we are. There's even less hesitation to get an Xbox One for me now (not that there was much to begin with) other than the high price. I'll wait till Halo 5 comes out and hope the price dropped by then.

#203 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Microsoft is actually listening to people for once? wow that's a first, that may have made me hate it a bit less.

Now if they would lower that crazy ass price... <.< 

#204 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

Looks like they pulled a... 'One' eighty! *snicker*

... yes, I know I'm the millionth person to make that joke. Do I get a prize?

Fantastic news, and a great example of why it's important to speak out against anti-consumer policies. But like Jim Sterling, I'll never forget the time Microsoft tried to fuck over the consumer.
  • Koh likes this

#205 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

It's been confirmed.  Well, that's fine and dandy for the system, but I wonder if they'll recover any lost fans?  Once you lose them through fury...it's hard to recover them.  Also, who's to say they won't re-enable it later down the road, or do it with their next system?

I really can't think of a better example than Steam.  You log in once if you have just powered on the system, and that's it.  You don't have to log in again unless you turn the system off.  I understand there exist some who lack internet altogether, but I'm mostly referring to online games.  Offline games should never have to connect to the internet in the first place.

Edited by Koh, 20 June 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#206 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

What sucks with that confirmation is that they've thrown the baby out with the bath water. Rather than figuring out how to get the best of both worlds (which is actually quite simple) it looks like they're just giving up on their plans to allow installing and sharing games digitally. They're taking their ball and going home.

Yeah, well fuck you too - I never wanted your shitty ball anyway.

EDIT: This is what they should do:

If there's a disc in the drive, you can play the game - no restrictions, no bullshit. If you want to "borrow" a game from your "family member"'s library (or play a borrowed game), you need to authenticate online. If the owner of the game isn't online to verify the game has been borrowed, it can only be accessed for, say, 24 hours. If you want to keep playing after that, ring them up and tell them to log into XBL. This will revoke their access to the game offline (unless they put the disc in the tray), and will have to connect in order to play from the hard drive (which prevents their friends from borrowing).

You can install disc-based games to the hard drive and play without a disc if you register the game online, and those games will be available to you (even while offline) until someone else registers with that same disc (or it's borrowed by a family member - see above). The next time you come online, Microsoft will tell your system that the game has been registered by someone else and block access to it. Now, this opens the possibility of abuse, as someone can install a shit ton of games, sell the discs, and then stay offline indefinitely - never losing access to their games. HOWEVER, in doing so the user severely limits their own console, because not only can they never go online again (so no online multiplayer, no game sharing, no cloud computing, no library access on other consoles, etc.), but they won't be able to install any new games without risking losing their entire library. This makes the abusive strategy pretty unappealing, and will only come into play at the very end of the console's life cycle.

This setup gives users the best of both worlds. If you have no internet you can still buy physical discs and play them, but you won't be able to install them. If you lose internet access you'll still be able to play all the games you've installed, plus any new games as long as the disc is in the drive. If you want to take advantage of the online sharing scheme, then you have to put up with the DRM and play by the rules. Simple.

Edited by NoeL, 20 June 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#207 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

I respect hearing them own up to their mistakes.

*refrains from making any comment about Nintendo*

#208 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

The thing is though, they weren't mistakes. It was more of a test to see what you can get away with. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the lesser well known clauses remain in effect.

#209 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Well, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I figured I'd throw out the latest (turd) nugget of information:

Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

The Xbox One dashboard will also change how ads are displayed to users. "On Xbox [One], the ad is part of the actual experience, it's not something that is outside. The only difference is that the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash." Sounds to me like they are deliberately trying to trick people into clicking on ads by making them seem like they aren't ads, but an official part of the dashboard.

#210 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

tbh, I don't mind ads that much as long as it's gaming relevant like a sale or whatnot. I hate where ads appear in places you would not expect or not want to see ads. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users