Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#151 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

Classicshell8 is one of the programs that wouldn't seem to work after upgrading. No matter what I did the win10 start menu stayed there, but as soon as I rolled back it came back. Who knows, I know quite a few of my problems were fixable (including hibernate which I took care of) but it was a mega bitch to even do that because my touchpad got all wonky and barely worked. The mouse driver seemed to suffer too.

overall I exaggerated some things but I definitely will be sticking with 8.1 through it all. I got windows 7 days before windows 8.1 came out, and I'll probably end up getting 10 right before the next one comes out lol. I do in general highly prefer 8.1 though, at least for now. Is upgrading gonna stay free forever?

Edited by Valientlink, 22 August 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#152 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

Is upgrading gonna stay free forever?

No, IIRC, you have until July 29, 2016 to obtain the free upgrade.

#153 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Classicshell8 is one of the programs that wouldn't seem to work after upgrading. No matter what I did the win10 start menu stayed there, but as soon as I rolled back it came back. Who knows, I know quite a few of my problems were fixable (including hibernate which I took care of) but it was a mega bitch to even do that because my touchpad got all wonky and barely worked. The mouse driver seemed to suffer too.

1) There is no such thing as "Classic Shell 8", there is however "Classic Shell".

2) The latest version on the websites Download section is out of date/meant for preview versions of Windows 10 (It still should've worked though). Check the News page/articles for a link to a Release Candidate that is meant for the final version of Windows 10. Edit: Ah, they released a new stable version with full Windows 10 support now (v4.2.4).

I was running v4.2.1 which is meant for the preview releases of Windows 10 and older Windows, but it worked fine after upgrading from 8.1 to 10. When Windows 10 started I got a prompt from Classic Shell telling me it had to re-configure it self for the new operating system, and gave a Yes/No prompt to proceed. I then upgraded to the 4.2.3 release candidate (Which was originally only linked to in the news section, not the downloads page), now I'm upgrading to 4.2.4.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 22 August 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#154 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

I don't want to upgrade from 7, mostly because of all the issues people have with it phoning home so often, and the myth about Microsoft deleting suspected pirated programs off your computer.  

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#155 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

I'd wait 6 months if your unsure, there's still tons of major changes being made on a regular basis and driver support for the upgrade process isn't terribly great.

• Demonlink and HavoX like this

#156 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

I'd wait 6 months if your unsure, there's still tons of major changes being made on a regular basis and driver support for the upgrade process isn't terribly great.

It doesn't help that I have a custom iPod driver for my hacked iPod classic (installed Rockbox on it a while back so I could have more support for file types regarding audio.)

#157 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

I don't want to upgrade from 7, mostly because of all the issues people have with it phoning home so often, and the myth about Microsoft deleting suspected pirated programs off your computer.  

I think this myth has been debunked now. I've read in an article yesterday that their policy was a bit misworded. (As always). What they meant is actually a short explanation of what's already happening today. If you use a cracked Microsoft game that's meant to be played online, it's pretty obvious it won't let you do it. For more info, read this.

Plus, here's a good example. I have a pirated version of Shovel Knight and it's all going well for me. Nothing has happened. :)

• thepsynergist likes this

#158 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

I have more reason NOT to upgrade to Windows 10. My mother did and she's been having nothing but problems. She is having repeated freezes when browsing and going on her Facebook page. That really makes me want to get it myself (sarcasm). Maybe if Microsoft addresses these issues, I may consider upgrading, but as of now, I'm not. And quite honestly, I don't know if my computer is gonna hold out much longer; it's over 5 years old and its age is showing. I'm not at the point my computer is crashing a lot or simple applications are making my computer run at the rate of a PowerPoint Presentation, but I am noticing it getting slower. I almost would rather when/if my laptop dies just buy a brand new one such that I know for sure the specs will be able to handle Windows 10 and that I don't take the risk of getting 10 and being screwed over if I have the same issues as my mother.

• Demonlink likes this

#159 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

And quite honestly, I don't know if my computer is gonna hold out much longer; it's over 5 years old and its age is showing.

Yep, I wouldn't advise you to upgrade to Windows 10 if your PC is that old. Mine is three years old and I have to run on Windows 8 drivers on Windows 10 because my model isn't supported for new driver releases. I get a few blue screens now and then, but it's due to the same reason, and it hasn't affected (yet) my work on my laptop.

As for your sluggish performance, I suggest you install CCleaner and use it. Use Window's Disk Cleaner as well. Also, I suggest you scan your Hard Drive in case it's fragmented, and if it is, run the defragment tool. And lastly, (if you're up to it), I suggest a low level Hard Drive format. This will entirely wipe out all data in the HD (including Windows) and it is unrecoverable as it deletes all sectors in it.

Or, you can also dual boot any Linux Distribution if you're familar with Linux. :)

#160 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

I don't trust nor advise using CCleaner, but that's just me. 

#161 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

Any "cleaner" that touches the registry, I don't trust. Too many bad experiences with them under Windows 9x.

#162 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, CCleaner is probably to be avoided. Can cause more problems than it fixes.

The quickest way to speed things up is always to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. After making backups of course.

I have heard that a distribution of "Tiny10" in the vein of the old TinyXP is in the works, but only in passing. The paid version of ntLite might also help you remove components you don't need from Windows and thus speed things up, but again -- only really recommended if you have the cash and know exactly what you're doing.

#163 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Throughout the years it has been proven that registry cleaners will not fix any problems nor speed up your computer. Take it from MajorGeeks. ;)

It's safe to use as long as you know what you're doing and/or know what you want to delete. I've been using it since it was known as Crap Cleaner in the earlier days, and I've never had any issues with it. Just don't use the registry cleaner (it sucks anyway).

The quickest way to speed things up is always to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. After making backups of course.

This should only be used as a last ditch resort.

• Demonlink likes this

#164 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

I just got an SD card and plugged it into the SD slot in my computer, then chose to have it as Ready Boost. I have a computer that is about 5 years old and the 4 gig card in it did actually help it speed up and run smoother. I actually am contemplating getting a larger one to see if it makes any more of a difference.

• Demonlink likes this

#165 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

The privacy concerns are ramping up even more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users