Photo

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Well, I just saw it yesterday, and I must say, I am disappointed. The story felt kinda rushed, and seems like it wouldn't make sense if you didn't read the book. It wasn't all that bad, with some good parts and characters to be sure, but the movie was a disappointment to the book.

I went with my uncle and his two sons, and they also said it wasn't as good as the others.

I hope they can get it back together before they make movie #6. icon_unsettled.gif

#2 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

Yeah I haven't enjoyed any of the movies really but they are useful for visual summaries. Whenever I reread 5 or 6 I forget half of it after I'm done.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

My sister (Zeldd) and one of my brothers watched it yesterday. They loved it, but also said that a lot of important parts are left out. I saw the first 4 movies and I can say, they aren't like the books...

#4 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

I was disappointed as well. They left out so much! I mean, I can understand that the book is a little under a thousand pages and whatnot, but seriously, a little more detail on some of the things, or perhaps to ELABORATE more on what the heck the Order of the Phoenix IS, then it would have been a lot better.

The Order itself was on screen for, oh say... twenty minutes, tops? And it was still unclear why they had gathered in the first place. Obviously to stop Voldemort, that's kind of a given, but they neglected to mention who was in it and why. Like what each individual's expertise was, if you will. [Or perhaps they did it so quickly and I just didn't catch it. Correct me if you like.]
[Also, I wanted to see more of Tonks D:< She was cool!]

Anyway, it was just so fast paced, it was hard to enjoy. Like, "Oh, my name is Harry Potter. I just had a dream where Mr. Weasley was attacked by a snake. He's in trouble." So they go save him.
-ten minutes later, at Christmas-
"Oh! Everyone, look! Daddy's all better! Isn't it wonderful?"
"It's all thanks to you, Harry."

...Yeah. But I will admit that the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort was pretty freaking sweet.
They could have done better. I know they could have. And I'm really hoping the sixth movie is more enjoyable than this one was.

It's encouraged me, though, to pick up the fifth book again. I know they left out a lot of things, but some of them I just can't remember. [Oh, and when I opened the fifth one, I found both my social security card and my birth certificate in it... Weird, huh?] So I'll be reading that again. And when the movie comes out on dvd, knowing me, I'll probably get it. Just to complete the collection.

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

Rest in peace, Quidditch. icon_cry.gif

This movie reminded me of Goblet of Fire. The goblet itself is on screen for about 10 minutes. Same thing here. By Merlin's beard, I hope they don't mess up the next movie...

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

Which reminds me, they left out the hospital! They were supposed to go to the hospital (in the book) to see Mr. Weasley, and that's where Harry first sees Neville's parents. Gilderoy Lockhart was supposed to be in it, as well. icon_evil.gif

#7 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jul 15 2007, 01:14 PM) View Post

Which reminds me, they left out the hospital! They were supposed to go to the hospital (in the book) to see Mr. Weasley, and that's where Harry first sees Neville's parents. Gilderoy Lockhart was supposed to be in it, as well. icon_evil.gif

Oh! I remember him! Hah, I kinda liked that guy. Yeah, that's one of the little things that I forgot. But I do know that they totally skipped the hospital scene! Which is why when Mr. Weasley suddenly showed up at the dinner table, I was like "WTF?"

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 15 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post

Rest in peace, Quidditch. icon_cry.gif

Rowling is leaving out Quidditch for the seventh book icon_cry.gif
Although I suppose Harry wouldn't have time to play anyway... but still!
Argh! And I also remembered that Quidditch was in the fifth book, because Ron was supposed to be on the team, and weren't he and Harry supposed to get into some sort of little fight about that?

#8 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(GoldenChocobo @ Jul 15 2007, 02:18 PM) View Post

Rowling is leaving out Quidditch for the seventh book icon_cry.gif
Although I suppose Harry wouldn't have time to play anyway... but still!
Argh! And I also remembered that Quidditch was in the fifth book, because Ron was supposed to be on the team, and weren't he and Harry supposed to get into some sort of little fight about that?
Yeah, Ron was pretty nervous as Keeper, and there was supposed to be a whole side story about Ron trying to get over it... but not for the cameras, apparently.

#9 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 15 2007, 01:19 PM) View Post

Yeah, Ron was pretty nervous as Keeper, and there was supposed to be a whole side story about Ron trying to get over it... but not for the cameras, apparently.

Poor Rupert.
He's smexy.
And I felt that he was more of a side character in this movie than in the other ones.
Sigh.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, cuz somehow, friggin' Umbridge expels Harry from Quidditch, Ron becomes Quidditch captain, and Gryffindor wins the House Cup. Which was also supposed to happen in number three, but they left out that little bit, too. icon_disgust.gif

EDIT: GoldenChocobo's comment spurred this on.

As I am a guy, I think Emma Watson's hot. icon_naughty.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 15 July 2007 - 02:23 PM.

#11 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jul 15 2007, 01:22 PM) View Post

Yeah, cuz somehow, friggin' Umbridge expels Harry from Quidditch, Ron becomes Quidditch captain, and Gryffindor wins the House Cup. Which was also supposed to happen in number three, but they left out that little bit, too. icon_disgust.gif

EDIT: GoldenChocobo's comment spurred this on.

As I am a guy, I think Emma Watson's hot. icon_naughty.gif

Oh please xD

Anyway, this only encourages me further to read the fifth again... I picked it up yesterday and read a chapter, but then I got distracted...

Oh! And you know what bothers me? They've left out Peeves! Since the very beginning! And what about all the ghosts, too? And all the other little quirky things about Hogwarts? And Diagon Alley didn't make an appearance... Anyone remember if it was in the fifth book at all?

Nice place. I like it.

#12 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

I saw this movie yesterday.

Being that I didn't read the book, I suppose I was less disappointed than those who did. The story did make sense to me (and I did read the first four books). It seemed really short though, so I wish they would've included the things that they left out. I guess I'd better read the book now. icon_rolleyes.gif

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

I found something interesting to those who are interested:

WikiPedia's differences between Order of the Phoenix book and film

There's alot more than I thought. icon_sigh.gif

#14 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thank you, TS. That was very helpful.
I completely forgot about Dobby!'
I love that little elf.

Wow. There's a lotof differences between them... I'm surprised they can actually say it's based off of the fifth book D:<

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

I just read over something I would've liked to have seen: the scene with Mrs. Weasley and the Boggart. That would've been interesting.

EDIT: Furthermore, the way the battle was described in the book sounded much better than how it played out on film.

EDIT 2: I just saw that the Levicorpus spell was used in the movie though it didn't appear until the sixth book. Way to get ahead of yourselves, WB. icon_sweat.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 15 July 2007 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users