Bad News about Lost Isle and Origin

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Okay, as everyone has guessed or known, both Lost Isle and Origin have upgraded to a specific ZC beta that Dark Nation programmed specifically for us to use. It eliminates all bugs we needed fixing so that we can have a bug-free quest. So this requires everyone to download the unique beta to simply play Lost Isle and Origin. However, due to this, zeldaclassic.com nor purezc.com support unique beta or unofficial beta quests in their databases. Which means, neither Lost Isle or Origin will ever get uploaded to any public databases for freely available download. So what now? And I am choosing NOT to go for a 'free' download site, those are riddled with ads, pop-ups, and other bad things like cookies, trojans or whatnot. So I'm really not sure how to get these quests out to you guys once they are finally finished. icon_sorry.gif

That and my experience with people hosting things on their personal servers usually doesn't end well. I've found that after a year or so, they eventually delete it from their servers to make room for other things. Or the server eventually goes down due to them no longer wanting to pay for their web space.

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 02 June 2007 - 08:19 PM.

#2 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

Submit them to ZCR. We take beta quests there. The link is in my sig.

Currently there are 2 quests that are in the betas. One is mine and the other is Old-Skool's.

#3 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Wait, couldn't you technically just put the quests in a .zip file and send them with the specific beta? Granted, that'd be a little bit of a hefty dl, but tis not much more than a few minutes max for anyone (unless I don't know anything about dial-up).
*re-reads*
Ah right... unofficial beta garbage. I'm sure the managers here could let it pass and find a way to incorporate it, as it is, after all, one of the greatest quests of all time coming to ZC (at least, that's what many are hoping to expect). ... and the same at zeldaclassic.com... that is, after it becomes re-operational + addition of new manager or something like that.

Edited by WindStrike, 02 June 2007 - 08:26 PM.

#4 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(WindStrike @ Jun 2 2007, 05:25 PM) View Post

I'm sure the managers here could let it pass and find a way to incorporate it, as it is, after all, one of the greatest quests of all time coming to ZC (at least, that's what many are hoping to expect)

and that's the type of attitude that will kill this quest, try not to get too much expectations of grandeur about it. icon_razz.gif Just go in expecting little, only then will you be presented with a lot.

#5 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

What is the beta Number? Will lost isle and origin be released later this year?

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Jun 2 2007, 05:16 PM) View Post

Okay, as everyone has guessed or known, both Lost Isle and Origin have upgraded to a specific ZC beta that Dark Nation programmed specifically for us to use. It eliminates all bugs we needed fixing so that we can have a bug-free quest.

its specific to us, so it has no beta number. Its its own beta.

#7 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Why not use the power of p2p, and use a torrent to distribute the quest file(s) and the beta itself? As long as there is a seeder, there will be a way to distribute the quest. And as more people finish downloading it, the more sources one would get for downloading the quest file(s) and the beta itself. I'm sure people would help you by running a dedicated seeder for you for a while.

Edited by Sephiroth, 02 June 2007 - 08:39 PM.

#8 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Jun 2 2007, 08:35 PM) View Post

its specific to us, so it has no beta number. Its its own beta.

When you say that Darkflamewolf are you saying the beta is only for you guys?

If so I won't ask for it from you guys.

#9 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:15 PM

So you have an unreleased, bug-free beta. And why hasn't it been released to the public?!?!?! I want a bug free beta icon_frown.gif

#10 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

Why would DN give you a beta for your quest that no one else could play, or wouldn't be compatable with other beta's? What is the purpose in that? Does this also mean it won't be able to transfer over to 2.5 some time in the (distant) future? I'm having a hard time folowing the logic here.

#11 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:19 AM

Ok, I have no idea why DarkFlameWolf is panicing like this. Lost Isle (and Origin too) are pretty major and important releases for ZC so I am sure the Pure staff would let us upload these 2 quests to PZC Quest database even though they are made for a beta version of ZC. But if that's a no no, then I guess we have a problem. I'm trying to get a Lost Isle website done with one of my website design savvy friend, but the problem is whatwould be a good host place for the site. All the free ones are usually crap.

Oh and people asking why DN would give a bugfree ZC beta only for me and Wolfie:
The upcoming ZC 2.5 is not completely backwards compatible with build 254 so upgrading Lost Isle to 2.5 would have ruined the quest. But DN was kind enough to make a special Lost Isle ZC build for us, and we will release it with Lost Isle (both the player and the editor). A developer would tell you it's not recommended to use the editor of the Lost Isle build for quest making, but i honestly believe ZC 2.5 will never be released because Zc just keeps getting buggier and buggier so this Lost Isle build may be the only way to create bugfree quests, and as I said, it will be released with Lost Isle.

And the release of Lost Isle and Origin is not far away. I'm actually going to make a topic about Lost Isle in a few days, so wait for that to get more info on the quest and all this ZC build nonsense.

#12 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

I will not ask for the link to the beta I will wait for the two quests

#13 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(bringer of destruction @ Jun 3 2007, 10:53 AM) View Post

I will not ask for the link to the beta I will wait for the two quests

The 2 quests are very close to completion. The beta they're refering to is the version of ZC they're using. Because the recent betas are buggy, and may be unstable, you can't submit them to the database.

#14 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Lost isle and origin will be the best two quests ever made.

#15 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(bringer of destruction @ Jun 3 2007, 10:14 PM) View Post

Lost isle and origin will be the best two quests ever made.

It's still too early to say that, so let's wait and see how these 2 new upcoming quests will be received. icon_wink.gif I can hardly wait to release Lost Isle, and I'm sure Wolfie can hardly wait to release Origin.

...and back to the issue at hand, it would be nice to hear some comments from the PureZC staff. Will they accept these 2 quests or not. I got the impression the staff could make an exception for these quests but according to latest talks it isn't so...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users