• Please log in to reply
1333 replies to this topic

#1291 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 11 2012, 04:10 AM) View Post

#1: It is possible to defeat Demise without using your sword to channel lightning. You just have to be REALLY good with a shield.

Not exactly. My first time through, I beat him with no lightning and no shield. You just have to have really good timing. Get close, trick him into attacking, jump to the side, and get a quick hit or two in before he brings back the sword to block and shocks you. I actually think that's the most fun way, cuz now that I've seen videos of people using the lightning against him, it just looks cheap.

Go to the Sealed Grounds. Stand outside the entrance to the temple. Look up. There should be the ruins of a domed ceiling that has been cracked in half. If you look carefully, you'll see the emblems of three of the temple medallions from Ocarina of Time. icon_smile.gif

After the Goddess Statue drops from Skyloft and plugs up the "hole" in the Sealed Grounds, head back to that same spot and look up again. The domed ceiling is now complete again, and all six of the OoT temple medallions can be seen in a circle.

Holy... wow. That's... awesome. So I guess the medallions (or their symbols at least) predate the sages themselves. Interesting.

#1292 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 11 2012, 07:10 AM) View Post
#1: It is possible to defeat Demise without using your sword to channel lightning. You just have to be REALLY good with a shield. Whenever he attacks, parry it with a well-timed shield bash. This won't always cause him to recoil: as the battle goes on, he will swing his sword twice in a row, and then three times.

In order to defend, you have to parry every single one, and don't counterattack until his combo is finished. Additionally, you can only hit him a few times before he attacks again, so be cautious.
QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 11 2012, 01:14 PM) View Post
Not exactly. My first time through, I beat him with no lightning and no shield. You just have to have really good timing. Get close, trick him into attacking, jump to the side, and get a quick hit or two in before he brings back the sword to block and shocks you. I actually think that's the most fun way, cuz now that I've seen videos of people using the lightning against him, it just looks cheap.
Disagreed; I've fought him shieldless and without using the lightning before, and while I admit it feels then like it has the true difficulty of a final boss, it's tedious and stupid, and a big waste of time.
#2: It might not be possible to truly "play" the harp like an ocarina, but have you noticed that the music it plays is always in key?... Continuing strumming, and the chords Link plays will change to match the background music for the area you are currently in. icon_smile.gif It will always sound beautiful, and never out of tune!

One interesting side effect of this is that the harp still changes chords even if there is no background music. It leaves me to wonder whether the music-less areas have a background track, but are simply set to zero volume.

I'm sorry the harp wasn't TRULY playable, but hey, at least it truly sounds pretty... And another thought that crossed my mind: wouldn't the Wii remote have been perfect for playing songs with the Wind Waker baton?...
I did notice the pitch changing of the harp, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. As for your Wind Waker idea, that actually sounds kinda interesting and I'd have taken that over the harp any day.
#3: Go to the Sealed Grounds. Stand outside the entrance to the temple. Look up. There should be the ruins of a domed ceiling that has been cracked in half. If you look carefully, you'll see the emblems of three of the temple medallions from Ocarina of Time. icon_smile.gif

After the Goddess Statue drops from Skyloft and plugs up the "hole" in the Sealed Grounds, head back to that same spot and look up again. The domed ceiling is now complete again, and all six of the OoT temple medallions can be seen in a circle.
Noticed that too, well, not so much the medallions as the completed dome. Thought it was a neat touch.
QUOTE(NewJourneysFire @ Jan 11 2012, 08:28 AM) View Post
Hmmm!!! There is a probability that there is a 90% chance that Fi is being discussed in this topic. I also calculate that Skyward Sword was the last installment of the Legend of Zelda series. I have analyzed the area for you and I discovered you can play this game by purchasing it at local entertainment stores, video game stores, or walmart. There is a 95% probability you'll need the Nintendo Wii, the Wii motion plus, and a new pack of batteries to play this game.
You messed up that first part, it wouldn't be a "probability of a chance." Also, that last percent should be 100%; otherwise you'd never be able to play it. icon_blah.gif

As for the rest of your post, that's not necessarily true; I've enjoyed plenty of games where the protagonist isn't the most important person in the world. icon_razz.gif

#1293 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

I was mocking Fii! icon_wink.gif because of course she loves to state the obvious with a 90% probability.

#1294 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

I found Fi amusing simply because I read all of her lines in a slightly higher-pitched GLaDOS voice. icon_heh.gif

#1295 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Would a Wii remote plus make the game need to be recalibrated less than a Wii remote+Wii motion plus? I'm asking this as the game is having a lot of accuracy problems whenever I try to play it. For example (I use Wii remote+Wii motion plus), whenever I try to swing downwards, the game swings diagonally (causing to block the attack) yet when I ask one of my friends about it (who uses the Wii remote plus that came with his preorder), he seems to have no problems at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Found out what could be the problem. I am swinging the remote so fast it is losing calibration. I should probably slow down the swinging...

Edited by Mudkipz, 12 January 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#1296 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

1) Make sure the sensor bar is in a good position as I no doubt believe the game uses the sensor bar to eliminate the problem of the Gyroscope in the controller drifting much like in Wii Sports Resort. (I believe Wikipedia has a good article on this on the Wiimote+ page)

2) When calibrating the remote, place the remote with the buttons facing down so the controller is resting on the buttons. (I never noticed the diagram showing this when starting games that use Motion+ and always calibrated it by placing the controller the right way up so it's resting on it's curved back)

3) Calibrate the control by placing it on the ground/table pointing towards the wall behind the TV, not pointing at an angle towards the TV.

Also, the game likes to re-calibrate the controls when using B button items. This is why there is the option to press Down on the D-Pad to force a recalibration to remedy situations where it re-calibrates while you're pointing the controller sidewards etc.. (This problem has no effect on Sword swings for whatever reason)

Edited by franpa, 12 January 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#1297 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Exactly, whatever direction the wiimote is facing when you use any item or technique that involves aiming, you have to have the wiimote pointed directly at the screen, if the aiming even feels a little off, just point it at the screen and press down to recalibrate.

#1298 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Jan 11 2012, 06:11 AM) View Post
Also, about complainment on the harp: I for one cannot play a real harp and as it is one of the most complicated instruments to learn I would not have liked to take a course of harp playing just to beat a videogame. What they did with the harp was alright and came closest to real harp playing without having to spend hours learning the actual instrument.

They seemed to manage the ocarina just fine, and it only took 5 buttons. That's a lot simpler than a real ocarina. Yes, a real ocarina has five holes, but you usually have to cover combinations of two more holes at once. The OoT ocarina, on the other hand, was simpler than a recorder.

If I were designing a system for harp-playing in SS, I would use the remote for strumming (like they did), but I would use the nunchuk's analog stick for changing the pitch. It could have five chords, just like the Wind Waker instrument, and they could continue to use the auto-pitch-change system to make it sound good with the background music. Either that, or fade out the background music like they did in OoT and WW.

It is also possible to beat him without the shield (and it's terrible controls):

I don't consider the shield's controls terrible. It just takes some adaptation, because we're not used to thrusting our left hands rather than pressing a button. (I do wish I could hold the shield in my right hand without having to also switch the analog stick, but that's wishful thinking...)

Next, replying to...
In the first part of the battle (before the lighting starts) you attack him with this pattern: 1)spin attack 2)vertical slice 3)backflip. You should not take damage if timed correctly and you should take him down argueably quick. In the second part of the battle just stay close to him but backflip if he attacks and perform lighting channeling Skyward Strikes whenever possible.
...and...
QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 11 2012, 10:14 AM) View Post
...and also...
QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 11 2012, 01:40 PM) View Post
Disagreed; I've fought him shieldless and without using the lightning before, and while I admit it feels then like it has the true difficulty of a final boss, it's tedious and stupid, and a big waste of time.I did notice the pitch changing of the harp, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

I understand that you can do it without a shield at all, as well, but the reason I like using a shield is because it's more satisfying. Your skill is based on how well you get the rhythm down, rather than how well you avoid him entirely. You can totally get IN HIS FACE as you're bouncing his attacks back, and that's satisfying. icon_biggrin.gif Also, if you've ever played Soul Calibur -- and I mean played it WELL, learning how to parry properly and all -- you know how satisfying it is to cause all of your opponents attacks to backfire through a perfectly-timed series of deflections. icon_awesome.gif

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 11 2012, 10:14 AM) View Post
Holy... wow. That's... awesome. So I guess the medallions (or their symbols at least) predate the sages themselves. Interesting.

Given their appearance in Twilight Princess, I think they just simply represent six elemental forces of Hyrule. So either that's the actual nature of Hyrule, or that's the way the Hylians have understood the natural forces throughout the ages.

Incidentally, since there are six elemental medallions, I wonder whether they can be split into three sets of two, with each pair representing one of the three Goddesses/Triforces... Hmmm, this makes me want to hypothesize. Offhand, here's how I would divide them. I'm not claiming it's the last word, though:

Din/Power: Fire, Shadow
Nayru/Wisdom: Water, Light
Farore/Courage: Forest, Spirit

(It seems that Spirit represents "balance," so maybe the last three in OoT don't correspond after all. Just a thought. In any case, Fire/Water/Forest are obvious.)

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 11 2012, 01:40 PM) View Post
As for your Wind Waker idea, that actually sounds kinda interesting and I'd have taken that over the harp any day.

Noticed that too, well, not so much the medallions as the completed dome. Thought it was a neat touch.You messed up that first part, it wouldn't be a "probability of a chance." Also, that last percent should be 100%; otherwise you'd never be able to play it. icon_blah.gif

QUOTE(NewJourneysFire @ Jan 11 2012, 03:17 PM) View Post
I was mocking Fii! icon_wink.gif because of course she loves to state the obvious with a 90% probability.

She does, but I found it rather stupid that she used "0% chance" and "100% chance" as well. Those aren't probabilities. If you're completely sure of a certain outcome, you don't assign a percentage probability at all.

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 11 2012, 03:29 PM) View Post
I found Fi amusing simply because I read all of her lines in a slightly higher-pitched GLaDOS voice. icon_heh.gif

You didn't need to "read" them that way, because Fi really DOES sound like GlaDOS, even without you imagining GlaDOS's voice. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Mudkipz @ Jan 12 2012, 04:10 AM) View Post
Would a Wii remote plus make the game need to be recalibrated less than a Wii remote+Wii motion plus? I'm asking this as the game is having a lot of accuracy problems whenever I try to play it. For example (I use Wii remote+Wii motion plus), whenever I try to swing downwards, the game swings diagonally (causing to block the attack) yet when I ask one of my friends about it (who uses the Wii remote plus that came with his preorder), he seems to have no problems at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Found out what could be the problem. I am swinging the remote so fast it is losing calibration. I should probably slow down the swinging...

Man, don't be violent!! icon_frown.gif All you need is a short but somewhat quick motion. Be sure you don't whip your hand too quickly while preparing for a slash, as well, because that may cause Link to swing too early (and probably in the wrong direction).

As for Wii Motion+ remote versus Wii Motion+ add-on, I doubt there is much of a difference except for size and shape. I can't say for sure, of course... but most of the problems I've heard reported have been practical concerns and confusion rather than honest-to-goodness hardware malfunctions.

Here's one thing to try: pay attention to how the remote is tilted when slashing. You may be tempted to turn your wrist while you swing, and this MIGHT cause it to register the direction slightly differently. I'm not sure about that, though.

Also, even though you don't see a cursor while sword-slashing, I *think* the calibration DOES still matter. For instance, while playing, stop and move the remote around slowly to see which direction Link points the sword when you hold the remote at different angles. If he isn't mimicking your motions accurately, calibration may be the problem.

One thing, though: While waving his sword around, Link always keeps his arm extended at the same length. The only time when it matters how far you extend your arm is when you thrust. All of Link's other attacks measure the angle of the remote, rather than how far you are from the TV.

And like I warned above, make sure you don't move too quickly when you prepare a strike.

#1299 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 13 2012, 04:44 PM) View Post

Given their appearance in Twilight Princess, I think they just simply represent six elemental forces of Hyrule. So either that's the actual nature of Hyrule, or that's the way the Hylians have understood the natural forces throughout the ages.

So then where do Wind and Earth come in? Wind seems to be tied in with the forest a lot (Wind Temple and Skyview Temple both have heavy forest themes going on in them too), and Earth appears to maybe have some shadowy connections. Not to mention, they both seem to be tied into the Master Sword, given that those two elements (or sages) are needed to power the Master Sword in WW, and Zelda needs to bathe and the Skyview (wind) and Earth Springs to restore the Master Sword in SS. And then "Unite earth and sky"... connection?

#1300 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 13 2012, 07:44 PM) View Post
I understand that you can do it without a shield at all, as well, but the reason I like using a shield is because it's more satisfying. Your skill is based on how well you get the rhythm down, rather than how well you avoid him entirely. You can totally get IN HIS FACE as you're bouncing his attacks back, and that's satisfying. icon_biggrin.gif Also, if you've ever played Soul Calibur -- and I mean played it WELL, learning how to parry properly and all -- you know how satisfying it is to cause all of your opponents attacks to backfire through a perfectly-timed series of deflections. icon_awesome.gif
Oh I agree entirely, and I know exactly what you're talking about, being a Soulcalibur player as well. Guard Impact is lovely, and shield-bashing Demise's strikes is kinda fun, since there's a little sound that accompanies it that adds to the atmosphere. I like manipulating music in Zelda fights. icon_heh.gif
QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 13 2012, 07:44 PM) View Post
You didn't need to "read" them that way, because Fi really DOES sound like GlaDOS, even without you imagining GlaDOS's voice. icon_wink.gif
That's exactly why I started reading them that way. icon_blah.gif

#1301 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 14 2012, 10:44 AM) View Post

It's only skillful if you beat him without the Hylian Shield, otherwise there's no repercussions for failing to time well.

#1302 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

I had the Goddess Shield when I first beat him, and I used the shield bash method. I think I got close to losing the shield, but I cheated with its self-restoration abilities and backed off until it refilled, then tried again until I figured it out. icon_heh.gif

#1303 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

If I were designing a system for harp-playing in SS, I would use the remote for strumming (like they did), but I would use the nunchuk's analog stick for changing the pitch. It could have five chords, just like the Wind Waker instrument, and they could continue to use the auto-pitch-change system to make it sound good with the background music. Either that, or fade out the background music like they did in OoT and WW.

If the harp was used like the Ocarina (for example the exzessive use of Zelda's Lullaby or the Song of Time) then this would probably have been a nice concept. But you used every harp song only like, one time? I believe to recall playing the Ballad of the Godess twice-ish but I'm not sure even. Things don't have to be that complicated all the time. It would probably just have been distracting if it was too complex.

I don't consider the shield's controls terrible. It just takes some adaptation, because we're not used to thrusting our left hands rather than pressing a button. (I do wish I could hold the shield in my right hand without having to also switch the analog stick, but that's wishful thinking...)

Oh, I did adapt to using my left hand just well. In fact, I like the Wii-idea of having essentially two controlers that work together as one. My problem with the shield is that raising the nunchuk reacts very unreliably for me. In two out of three times it would have no effect for me. It gets tricky with the timing on the later enemies if you essentially have to wave you left hand up and down three times to perfom one block.
I never was a big shield-user in any of the Zelda games, though. I use items like the Mirror Shield if I have to in order to solve an important puzzle but that's about it. Backflipping or the Roc's Feather is all I need and it just comes so much more natural for me. icon_shrug.gif It's Jumpstyle Zelda!!111 icon_deformed.gif

Edited by Yoshimi, 15 January 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#1304 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

You use the harp for at least three songs on Isle of the Goddess, then Song of the Hero, then I'm half-certain you play Ballad of the Goddess somewhere. Fortunately these don't make you restart if you fail, so you just have to play them only once, watch a sequence, and that's it. Then there's finding Gossip Stone locations but those are optional and not difficult.

As for the nunchuck, my only beef with it was that it was too sensitive sometimes. If I move my nunchuck up fast to scratch my nose or something with my index finger, or set it down to reach for my phone or a glass or something, Link'll raise his shield. Kind of annoying...

#1305 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

It seemed to me that the nunchuck was too sensitive whenever I wanted to do a finishing blow (vertical spin anyone?), but not sensitive enough when I wanted to use my shield. I found that shaking the 'chuk left/right was the most effective way to use my shield. Also, I didn't even know that you could use the lightning to beat Demise... I just used the Hylian shield and good timing. And the invincibility potion + potion medal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users