Lost Isle vs The Hero of Dreams

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

NOTE: This thread WILL NOT make negative insults, disrespect, or flaming to Shoelace, DarkFlameWolf, and Peteo. This Thread is mainly comparing these two outstanding 5+ Stars Quests. So please respect the authors who worked hard in making these 2 quests. NOTE

This thread will discuss and compare all the different elements of 2006's Hero of Dreams by Shoelace and 2007's Lost Isle by DarkFlameWolf and Peteo.

My Current Comparisons

Overworld:
Hero of Dreams: The Hero of Dream's Overworld is Huge. There's a lot of things to do, great balence of enemies, easy to navigate, and just plain fun exploring Hyrule Field just love the MIDI.
Lost Isle: Lost Isle's Overworld is a little smaller than Hero of Dream's overworld but makes it up with those nice graphics. Though a little hard to navigate there are secrets in every corner.

Dungeons:
Hero of Dreams: The Hero of Dreams features more dungeons than Lost Isle. Shoelace did an outstanding job of making 2.10 look like 2.5. Every dungeon has a specific unique challenge.
Lost Isle: Lost Isle's Dungeons are huge! I've never played through dungeons this big yet! DFW and Peteo really took advantage of 2.5's features.

That's all of my comparisons so far. Let's see your comparisons. Remember to follow the forum rules.

NOTE: This thread WILL NOT make negative insults, disrespect, or flaming to Shoelace, DarkFlameWolf, and Petro. This Thread is mainly comparing these two outstanding 5+ Stars Quests. So please respect the authors who worked hard in making these 2 quests. NOTE

Edited by Trimaster001, 30 July 2007 - 03:34 AM.

#2 fireice

fireice

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Jul 29 2007, 11:09 PM) View Post

NOTE: This thread WILL NOT make negative insults, disrespect, or flaming to Shoelace, DarkFlameWolf, and Petro. This Thread is mainly comparing these two outstanding 5+ Stars Quests. So please respect the authors who worked hard in making these 2 quests. NOTE

its peteo not petro

also id say its a tie
even tho i like LI better as its more callangeing (i havent even beat the first dunguion!)
i think HoD is also a god-like quest
so all in all there both god-like!

5 stars?
more like a googleplex stars for both
(a googleplex is a 1 with a google zeros)
(a google is a 1 with 100 zeros)
(NO I DID NOT MAKE THOSE #S UP!)

#3 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

Hmm..

Story:

HoD: This quest had a descent storyline and plot, sort of the basic search of the Triforce with a twist. How Link meet the other heroes of legend was creative, and so was alot of things Shoelace pulled. Specially considering that it was a 1.82 quest, yet the other quest you decide to compare it to was a 2.5 quest that was released not so long ago. It has one of the best completed Zelda storyline though.

LI: Well.. I can't say much of this since I've yet to finish the quest, but I'll criticize what I know so far. Like LA, Link gets wiped out and wakes up in a deserted haunted island. He has the opportunity to leave at any moment since there is tons of trees, recieves a raft, and deserted wooden houses that he can use to make an escape. Though like Links usual self, he decides to stay and search the empty island. There isn't really a purpose to the quest, and much is avoidable. You can skip through dungeons once you get the items, and it wouldn't matter much because of all the heart containers that are scattered around, so you can still get a stronger sword. Thats about it until you finish the quest, which I'm assuming reveals the rest of the story.

Music:

HoD: Shoelace used most of the Golden Sun MIDIs, which of course is outstanding. Though there are some MIDIs that I couldn't stand listening to. For example, the MIDI used in the cave near Lv.1 and the MIDI used for Lv.1. It was unbearable, I had to mute it until I left the dungeon. But after this, it wasn't that bad.

LI: I liked the main OW music, it gave an adventure feel right off the bat. It reminded me of The Wind Waker Great Sea OW tune. I unmuted the BGM only to hear it again. Though other than that, some of the MIDIs weren't.. as great. The Lv.1 MIDI was irritating me, even more when I died. I also, had to mute it. Though I understand you guys used certain MIDIs intentionally to give the quest a certain feel. I did like the Ice temple MIDI, it wasn't bad.I can't give out more input on this subject until I actually get further in it.

Dungeons:

HoD: Nice design for the dungeons, I liked it. My main struggle was Lv.1 for some strange reason, after this everything got much easier. It wouldn't take me long at all to complete them. Had creativity and nice twists, would have been better if it was more challenging.

LI: The dungeons were like a maze, I kept having to ask for help which shows that it was diffcult and well made. The dungeons are the best thing in the quest, even though it can get irrating as well, espically if you keep falling from the 3rd floor to the basement. icon_razz.gif

Well, when I do finish LI, I'll pick on which I enjoyed more.

#4 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:05 AM

/M/ you need to beat the dungeons in LI, you cant just get the items and beat the quest... because beating the dungeons removes barricades that block your progress.

#5 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:48 AM

I honestly dislike both of these quests. I haven't completed either one, but Hero of Dreams is definitely my preferred of the two. I managed to force myself to play about halfway through before I got sick of HoD. LI? Not nearly as far. I didn't find either quest the least bit enjoyable for any duration of gameplay.

#6 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jul 30 2007, 12:48 AM) View Post

I honestly dislike both of these quests. I haven't completed either one, but Hero of Dreams is definitely my preferred of the two. I managed to force myself to play about halfway through before I got sick of HoD. LI? Not nearly as far. I didn't find either quest the least bit enjoyable for any duration of gameplay.

Why?
Please explain.

#7 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:14 AM

That would go against the nature of this topic, as my opinions would inevitably come off as "negative" or "offensive".

I didn't have fun playing these quests, and I'll leave it at that.

#8 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:01 AM

Were they too hard or what SD? I think LI is much too hard to be honest. HoD is pretty freaking hard too, but at least I made it to level 6.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

LI is waaay too confusing, but is very rewarding when you work it out icon_wink.gif i aint gonna play a 2.10 quest till a stable beta is made, due to 2.10 randomly crashing on me.

#10 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

If SD don't want to explain, don't force him too. And good lord this thread could open up some bad juju. Didn't really want a thread like this opened, has the potential to get nasty. I'm not going to comment on this since one of my quests is a part of it but I will say this: HoD and Lost Isle are two totally different types of quests. Trying to compare this isn't really a viable comparison in my eyes. The only thing they would probably have in common is five star ratings, but the way you tackle each quest is uniquely different.

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Jul 30 2007, 06:12 AM) View Post

If SD don't want to explain, don't force him too. And good lord this thread could open up some bad juju. Didn't really want a thread like this opened, has the potential to get nasty. I'm not going to comment on this since one of my quests is a part of it but I will say this: HoD and Lost Isle are two totally different types of quests. Trying to compare this isn't really a viable comparison in my eyes. The only thing they would probably have in common is five star ratings, but the way you tackle each quest is uniquely different.

If you feel hurt about this thread, I sincerly apoligize. If there was mad debate in this thread I assure you that this thread will close in a flash.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

I'm gunna say what SD wouldn't... well, actually it's my own thoughts. I haven't gotten very far in either quest (about level 5 in HoD, still on level 1 of LI)... but I know DFW and Peteo reasonably well so hopefully they don't take too much offense icon_razz.gif (because there's still a hell of a lot of people that love your work icon_wink.gif )

I think originality is the big killer for both (and 99% of Zelda quests). Just has that feeling of "been there, done that", and both quests having graphics that we've all seen before doesn't help the situation (although I really like the look of LI's level 1 interior).

Lost Isle had a pretty weak introduction in my opinion. You crash on an island, there's some ghosties, then all of a sudden for no particular reason you're in a swamp temple. icon_confused.gif

From what I've seen and heard it's a beautifully made quest, I just don't find it terribly interesting icon_shrug.gif

... and the "humour" in HoD was crap icon_deformed.gif

#13 Linksasleepagain

Linksasleepagain

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

Well I think Both quests are great in their own way although both are very challenging which I reckon puts a few people off.
I also think that ANYBODY who puts their time into creating games for other peoples enjoyment should be respected and not be subjected to debates about how "good"or"crap"individual people find them.Thats what the rating system is for surely?.As the old saying goes:
"Opinions are like buttholes....everybody has one"
I think this topic should be locked now.

#14 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jul 30 2007, 01:14 AM) View Post

That would go against the nature of this topic, as my opinions would inevitably come off as "negative" or "offensive".

I didn't have fun playing these quests, and I'll leave it at that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the spot.
I just felt it was important to know why a veteran Zelda Classic member, such as yourself, dislikes what are probably to two best quests that have come out in the last year.
I figured knowing that would help all designers.

I don't have the patience to play games anymore, so I can't really reach a conclusion based on that.
What I look at is the amount of effort and work that goes in to making their quest.
SO.... in other words, to me there might be a quest out the that someone knocked out in a month and is just the funnest quest in the database, and it would probably not get the praise from me it deserved compared to LI or HOD.
maybe not fair.... but the way it is anyway.

Edited by Freedom, 30 July 2007 - 08:55 AM.

#15 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Jul 30 2007, 02:05 AM) View Post

/M/ you need to beat the dungeons in LI, you cant just get the items and beat the quest... because beating the dungeons removes barricades that block your progress.

There's other ways around it. Such as you don't need to finish Lv.2 to reach Lv.3

i aint gonna play a 2.10 quest till a stable beta is made

Ha.. 2.10 is more stable than the 2.5 betas. The problem has to be your computer.

HoD and Lost Isle are two totally different types of quests. Trying to compare this isn't really a viable comparison in my eyes.

Well, people do compare Zelda to Mario, Street Fighter to Metroid, etc. Games don't necessarily have to be similar to be compared. I'm sure you've compare games that are completely different as well. (*Favorite series topic* *Favorite Zelda game [comparing TWW and ALttP ]*) Besides, they do have things in common, enough to be compared.

Edited by /M/, 30 July 2007 - 11:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users