Photo

Screenshot of the Week 563

Shane RocketGrunt Saffith Joelmacool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 563 (54 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

RocketGrunt

RocketGrunt.png

Generic Title Screen (PLEASE CRITICIZE BECAUSE I AM NEW AT THIS TILESET)

Shane

Shane.png

The Polar Plains of Kehlt... That ice crystal in front of the cave looks tainted with magic...

Saffith

Saffith.png

Hey, it's a picture of some things, how about that.

Joelmacool

Joelmacool.png

Dreams never make sense...

• Jared and Joelmacool like this

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Shane: Aaaaaaaaa, I love that water, but I hate those side mountains, but I love that water...don't do this to me!

Also there were some other screens apparently, but they all suffer the problem of competing against Shane. :P

RocketGrunt: This screen seems to suffer from a case of the straight lines. The cliff on the right are perfectly straight, the bushes are growing in perfectly straight lines, and there's a lot of empty space in the edges and corners of the screen. Straight formations in your overworlds aren't always a bad thing, but you want to vary it up a bit to make your world feel more natural.

Saffith: I like the palette in this shot. It looks nice. This screen is just all around pleasant.

Joelmacool: Pretty much the same as Saffith. Pretty colors. Nice screen. Not Shane.

• Shane and Naru like this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

After complaining about how I felt Shane's style was becoming repetitive, he goes and switches things up completely. Wouldn't you know, it's amazing! Needless to say, I voted for Shane this week. :D

• Shane and Naru like this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

RocketGrunt - It's a good start but a lot more things can be done to make the screen look good. Like Moosh said, there's a lot of straight lines everywhere. To try and make this look as natural as possible you gotta have jagged lines (in other words, try not to make things straight). Probably scatter the bushes around a bit and give the mountain a bit of a curvature rather than being completely straight. So yeah, straightness is my main problem here.

Shane - Hot damn, that's some amazing stuff. Like I said elsewhere, those side mountains near the water can use some work, but other than that, this is one hell of a unique artstyle and could easily pass off as an SNES game or something. Amazing work.

Saffith - Very nice and simple. The screen is very well done and I do like the multiple levels of elevation over to the top-right side.

Joelmacool - That's one trippy palette. I like what you were going for here though, I find this screen to look really nice. Good job!

I voted for Shane this week, I want that tileset now ;_;

• Shane likes this

#5 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

Rocketgrunt:Yeah uh, this is bad. i pretty much agree with everyone. But I also think the other 3 are just very good this week as a whole. it's a decent effort, but not great tbh.

Shane:The water is the best thing from anyone this week. Those crystals and trees are lit. The mountains are OK but this is a great screen. Great work.

Saffith:Feels simple but this is a beautifully polished screen. I like your effort here and the in-game map looks good.

Joelmancool:Mixed feelings here. The colors are good, but idk if this is too inviting for me. I think it's a good job in the grand scheme, but it could be better though.

• Shane likes this

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

Shane.

Need I say more?

• Shane likes this

#7 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

Rocket: I honestly like the screen. It's a totally solid shot. Just not SotW good. Basically the issue is that it's too straight like everyone said. I think it shows promise for sure though.

Shane: This is gorgeous. I don't even know how to describe what all I like about it. It's just so different from what I usually see. Even from you. The water looks amazing. I love the sides of the mountains. And the screen as a whole has a certain superb charm to it.

Saffith: I really like this as well. It's really pretty and well designed. I am half and half on the hills. I like the differing elevations but it looks kind of weird to me too.

Joel: It's really well designed, but I am half and half on the colors. It looks nice but at the same time it doesn't pull me in like Shane's does. Though that's less an issue with yours and more on how great Shane's is. The top portions of the water in the lower left corner also look weird.

Basically everyone's was good, but there was only one Shane.
  • Shane likes this

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback and whatnot. This is going to be a future quest of mine, featuring as little Zelda elements as possible and with a completely new world and lore to discover. Kehlt is one of the five kingdoms/nations and is planned mid-game. Honestly I'm not that tired of my GB-style, but I just wanted to create something non-Zelda for a change and had this planned as a non-ZC game... except I doubt it ever will become a reality outside ZC at this point.

• Eddy likes this

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:09 AM

With a clean 60% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 563 is Shane!

Shane.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- RocketGrunt (7 votes [14.00%])
- Shane (30 votes [60.00%])
- Saffith (5 votes [10.00%])
- Joelmacool (8 votes [16.00%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shane, RocketGrunt, Saffith, Joelmacool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users