Photo

▲ ▲ Dungeon Design Monthly #3 ▲ ▲

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Dungeon of the Month 3

Who had the best over-all designed dungeon?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Who's dungeon did you enjoy playing the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Who had the most interesting gimmick, or puzzles?

Who made the best use of their tileset?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, I thought I had the final build (as my folder tells me) but the about screen says 2.50 build 24 rather than 2.50.2.

Interestingly enough, there are actually no scripts I found when playing both of Astromeow's entry. It seems to be all default ZC features, nothing being added on with scripts from what I saw.

Even the points counter? I didn't realise that was a default zc feature. But ok, I'll retract my statement. The level of custom enemies and items and things like transition-less screen scrolling made me think otherwise, so my apologies to Astromeow!

#17 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:19 AM

Even the points counter? I didn't realise that was a default zc feature. But ok, I'll retract my statement. The level of custom enemies and items and things like transition-less screen scrolling made me think otherwise, so my apologies to Astromeow!

The points counter seems to not scripted be too. I think it just took a whole bunch of custom rupee items to get a score system working like that.

#18 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

(Note: Unlike last time where I made several posts. I'll just make one post and edit them as I complete the dungeons)

Naru - "Inactive" (Didn't Finish...)

- I love this dungeon! Or so I loved it at first, before the dungeon started throwing a lot of bullshit at you.  It's not so often you see a classic style dungeon executed so wonderfully like you did with the first half of this dungeon. The design was great! I'm a big fan of traps if they are done fairly, and I really like how the overall feel just feels right. This dungeon does include some of the typical "classic bullshit" I don't like, like unmarked push blocks. But since this dungeon is a Classic thing, and not your thing, it is my belief that unmarked push blocks is the norm and people should often be checking in general. It should be the expectation in this type of dungeon, so I'll won't hold that one against you. But this is where the positive things I say end here and things really start taking a really big fall. The boomerang room was bullshit if you ask me! I like a challenge, but that room was just plain bullshit. The worst happens when you're expected to dodge obstacles such as traps and spikes while dodging fireballs of two high RNG fire shooters that you essentially got to hug past (due to cramped walking space) and hope they don't fire at you. You kinda gotta just wing it here. Add this with the fact that you make players go through the same rooms full of enemies over and over again, and it really takes the enjoyment out of what could be potentially be the best dungeon of this month. I ended up giving up when I was trapped in a room with a bunch of golden enemies that I couldn't hurt with my weapons. I assume that you needed bombs for them, but I already used them on the blue Goriyas. There is no reason you should have expected players to keep their bombs for this room or else (Deal with it and F6). Ah man, I'm so disappointed because this dungeon started out so well. 

Astromeow - FunShine DX: Norfair (Didn't Finish...)

I remember playing demos of this quest once before, and I wasn't impressed with your use of sideview at all. There was a lot of things you did that just didn't feel right. Also, things didn't feel that fair. With that said, I feel that your design has slightly improved. I still really don't like your use of having the jump button fill one of your main command slots. There are still some instances of poor design when it comes to using side view screens. You gotta really understand that Zelda Classic is not a free scroller, but instead a thing that transitions between screens more like Mega Man than it does Metroid. This is something that's very important to consider when designing in side screens. You really gotta take heed how jumping up and down screens really feels in your design when you're working on side view screens. I prefer ladders when ascending and descending because hell, they work well with Mega Man and they also work very well with Zelda Classic side view. There is one instance in this demo I kept jumping and hitting an unseen ceiling from the screen above me. I eventually reached a path full of spiky enemies, Wizzrobes, and Darknuts, and I was done there. Just bad execution and misguided understanding of how these enemies work in side view screens.

IntimFuchtler - Hollow Garden (Didn't Finish...)

Lets forget the fact that I almost blew myself up at the very moment I started playing. I was caught off guard by the fast scrolling, but I really like it to be honest. Though it felt a bit uncomfortable at first, I wish more quests use it. Lots of time is wasted from the very slow scrolling ZC offers.

Man, I sometimes wonder if people are designing their quests around the "Kill every enemy but one" exploit. I find the screens are literally littered with enemies here, and it's a problem when you're only given stab. It's like this dungeon expects you to exploit that gimmick, or I'm just playing badly. I also found myself having to leave the screen and return to manipulate enemy spawns as well in some of those areas where enemies are firing projectiles in tight spaces. This dungeon is overall quite punishing for a Level 1. Unless this is intended to be a challenge quest, I'd suggest toning down the difficulty a bit. Once I got over the difficult and got used to exploiting the enemies a bit better, I found this dungeon rather great. Man, oh man. That poison snake went from easy to WTF in seconds. lol

Really though, this level isn't so difficult once you exploit the "kill all but one gimmick" but quite hellish if you don't. I certainly suggest toning down the enemy spam. Difficulty aside, must like the first entry for "changing my mind", I had a bad first impression here, but I was quite delighted once I kept going. I believe this dungeon has very great design and could potentially be my favorite entry here so far. I still have two more dungeons to play though. I made it as far as the boss before giving up for the night. It's getting late, and I'll finish the boss some time tomorrow. 

I just gave another attempt on the boss, and I just got no patience for it. Both bosses in this dungeon have a very big issue with being too drawn out and difficult. I don't mind bosses with multiple phases, but the phases are exactly what's wrong with your bosses. The length is the biggest issue here. It gives off that same feeling of having to travel a bunch of rooms before you reach the boss. Except in this case the boss will kinda take it easy on you for around 5 or so minutes of battling before the actual battle actually starts. It's boring and annoying, especially when you mess up trying to reach it's final phase. I've only even got to see the final phase once, and I just got turned off by this boss' design.  

Astromeow - FunShine DX: Norfair Catacombs (Didn't Finish...)

Ugh... Despite criticism I made from previous demos I've played in this quest ages ago. I can see here that they were ignored. Nothing has improved from the very core issues I see usually repeating in this quest. This demo reflects the very problems with everything I've seen in this quest ever since you first revealed it. I didn't enjoy this demo at all. Between the lava with stupid hitboxes, bomb throwing enemies you cannot avoid, and the Aquamentus enemies, and no apparent save point in a reasonable proximity. I'm just done with this quest, I'll refrain from playing anymore demos of FunShine in the future. 

Joelmacool - Aqua Expoots (Completed)

The only demo this month I actually completed. lol

This demo is the safest of the bunch if you ask me. You can clearly tell it tried to be good but it didn't take those risks to be anything great or memorable. Thus this fails to be the most enjoyable of the list. Hollow Garden and Inactive were both much more enjoyable because of this. However, because this dungeon is the safest one that attempted to get everything right, I voted it for being the best overall designed. This was a tough choice between this demo and Hollow Garden for best design. But Hollow Garden tries too hard to be difficult and seemed shake the boat in a very bad way that left a bad taste. The design here is safe and solid, but not very memorable. 

Who had the best over-all designed dungeon? - Joelmacool

Who's dungeon did you enjoy playing the most? - IntimFuchtler

Who had the most interesting gimmick, or puzzles? - IntimFuchtler

Who made the best use of their tileset? - Joelmacool

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 25 May 2016 - 11:43 AM.

• Anthus, Joelmacool, ZeldaLink and 1 other like this

#19 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

The solution for all the problems is the shield you can find. It reflects rocks to kill the golden enemies (though I didn't mention that anywhere, should have put a guy somewhere) and blocks the fireballs. Thought if I let the room open it is OK (since boomerang and the path are not needed to finish the dungeon). Seems it is not.

(Also the golden octorocs should be killable with the sword, thought I had changed that in the enemie-data...) Anyway, ty for the review, much appreciated.

[Edit] Regarding the stuck ememies in hollow garden, from the entrance once up and two to the right was the first and once up, two to the left, through the stairs was the second. In the second one I was stuck because I couldn't reach them and the door was shuttered. Both happened only once. Also the game froze two times for a split second, don't know this from other quests, but also don't know if this even was caused by ZC itself.

(So far you don't know this already, with the box right of the walkability box you can manipulate a combos c-set. Like you use c-set 2 but this combo uses c-set 4 instead. This can be really useful with identical looking combos, just change the c-set it uses so it looks different and if you are finished change it back to the actual color)

Edited by Naru, 17 May 2016 - 04:34 AM.

#20 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

The fact that you added shutters in both doors in this room than wasn't a good idea if you ask me. It forces the player to have to F6 when ill equipped.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 17 May 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#21 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

It looks like this contest is going along nicely, but how do you guys feel about the categories? Is anyone in favor of them staying, or being removed?

I'm thinking of going back to a simple poll structure, but we'll see.

Furthermore, we are accepting Entries for DotM 4! This contest ends on the 9th of June, in 10 days. :)

#22 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

I'm perfectly fine with the categories, I'd say keep them for a more varied contest. I might have something ready for #4... I hope. We'll just see if I can bother to finish it in time though lol

• Anthus likes this

#23 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

I'm not a big fan of having to answer every category.

If you ask me, each poll category should have a null vote just in case I only wanted to vote for one category and ignore the others. Also, that null vote would not be wagered into the actual contest, because it would be funny if "Null" won for best tileset or whatever. :P lol

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 31 May 2016 - 05:37 PM.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#24 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

I think the single poll keeps things cleaner.

• Anthus, TheLegend_njf and Naru like this

#25 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

I'm not a big fan of having to answer every category.

If you ask me, each poll category should have a null vote just in case I only wanted to vote for one category and ignore the others. Also, that null vote would not be wagered into the actual contest, because it would be funny if "Null" won for best tileset or whatever. :P lol

I agree with this.

#26 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

I guess you could at least combine best-designed with best use of tileset, since they're both minor variations on the same thing.

Possibly gimmick/puzzles could fit into design as well, but I can the separation between the visual and the functional. I'd keep it.

And, most fun is easy enough, so I don't see any reason to ditch that.

• Anthus likes this

#27 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

I guess you could at least combine best-designed with best use of tileset, since they're both minor variations on the same thing.

Possibly gimmick/puzzles could fit into design as well, but I can the separation between the visual and the functional. I'd keep it.

And, most fun is easy enough, so I don't see any reason to ditch that.

I agree, the current model has too many categories. Best designed and most enjoyable is all this contest really needs. 

• Anthus likes this

#28 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

The options will be lessened and streamlined, and since this frees up an option, do you guys still want a "haven't played yet" option?

We also need some entries too. :blah:

#29 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

Probably not as much.

Instead of having the option, best use of tileset. I would suggest "Most Aesthetic", this will include everything from tileset, to palette, or anything artistically appealing about a dungeon.

Best puzzles would more so fallout into best overall design. Because I'll be honest, I felt best puzzles and best tileset too specific and only opened up a door for a lot more unnecessary categories.

Dropping both best puzzle, and switching best use of tileset to "most aesthetic" would be my recommendation.

And Ya, there'll be no need to have a "haven't played yet" option then.

Most enjoyable is a great category I'd recommend keeping too. Because sometimes you can enjoy a poorly designed dungeon because it adds a lot of charm.

Update: I must have had fallout on the brain when I originally wrote this. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 06 June 2016 - 07:58 PM.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#30 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

Dungeon of the Month 3 has come to a close!

This was another good turn out. Glad to see more people becoming interested in this. :)

I will list the total votes, that each person (per entry) received over-all. This will determine the winner of the contest, but the person who won each category will also be recognized!

Here is the screenshot of the votes as of 12:27 AM EST. June 10th, 2016:

b1YUv8y.png

-=▲ Total Votes, Over-all ▲=-

Naru

Astromeow 1

IntimFuchtler

Astromeow 2

Joelmacool

With 15 over-all votes from all categories, IntimFulchtler is this contest's winner!! Let's give a warm round of applause  :clap:

Winners of each category include:

Who had the best designed dungeon?
Tie: Joelmacool, IntimFuchtler, with 3 votes.

Who's dungeon did you enjoy playing the most?
IntimFuchtler, with 6 votes.

Who had the most interesting gimmick, or puzzles?
IntimFuchtler, with 5 votes!

Who made the best use of their tileset?
Tie: Joelmacool, Astromeow's 1st entry, with 3 votes.

Now you guys get Triforces. lotsa Triforces.

1st: IntimFuchtler  - 15 - ▲▲▲

2nd: Astromeow's 1st entry  - 9 - ▲▲

3rd: Joelmacool  - 7 -  ▲

Congratulations guys! :clap:

The next contest will begin when we have at least three entries, so get them in, if you want to play in the monthly thriller of a life time! If you are interested in entering, see this first post in this thread.

The main thread will be updated tomorrow morning. Done. I'm beat. I hope there are no stupid errors in this post I missed. EDIT: Oh, wait, no big deal, I just got the order of the winners wrong  :P. It's fixed now. It's canon.

I gotta say, less categories will make this easier to run lol. There will only be three next time, soo, that makes it a little cleaner.

• Joelmacool likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users