CSet 9 interaction with the Big Triforce item

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:03 AM

Thought I would post it here due to the fact that several people are working on tilesets ATM.

It has come to my attention that the Big Triforce item interacts with CSet 9 in a way that is not really well known and may cause a lot of issues for those who use it..

Collecting the Big Triforce item (or any Triforce Item with the cutscene type set to 0 in the item editor) causes the Ganon dying Sprite Palette to be loaded into CSet 9 on for the palette (not DMap or level, but the palette the DMap uses) for the rest of the questuntil you die or use F6->Continue, which may produce unintended effects for those who use the Big Triforce in place of the small Triforce piece in their quests.

Edited by Orithan, 29 February 2016 - 06:04 AM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

I've created a handy-dandy tool that's made it much easier to see/understand what's going on in these types of situations:

ColorDebug.png

___What you do is Grab this image into your tileset -any tileset, it doesn't have to use my palettes (my colors will automatically be replaced with your own)- using Leech with 8-Bit Color Depth. Now you have  a 4x4 set of tiles with all 256 colors from CSets 0-15 (yes, even the colors that don't display correctly in ZQuest, but don't worry- they'll display fine in Zelda Classic).

___Now go to your subscreen editor, choose (or create) a passive subscreen, go to Edit > New > Tile Block and select the tiles you just imported. Set the tile width to 4 & the height to 2 or 3 to get the top part of the image, then do it again to get the bottom half, and arrange them on your subscreen so you can see everything.

___Now when you open your quest in Zelda Classic you have a constant display of what's going on in every CSet, allowing you to see when CSets are swapped or overwritten :)

As an example, here's what my color debug passive subscreen looks like:

2vnkg7b.jpg

Edited by Cukeman, 24 April 2016 - 08:24 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Shane and Lightwulf like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users