Photo

Finishing touches, then a Release Candidate.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

Slight update: Later in this thread, I say I'm making 8 versions. These would have been, NES authentic 1st quest, NES authentic 1st quest in Koten, Updated 1st quest in Classic, Updated 1st Quest in Koten, then 4 more for the same variations with the second quest. I have scrapped this idea, and am instead only releasing 4 qst files at first. These will all be NES authentic, and documentation included will tell you which rules to check, or ones that are recommended, if you want to change it up a little. Perhaps if there is a demand for changes, I will still make an enhanced version later on, as an update to the official release, if people really want it packaged. It's likely I'll do this anyway, but I want to get the NES authentic ones completely finished up.

Quest 2 is done as far as dungeons go, but I need to go around the overworld, and change the rest of the screens, and secrets and whatnot that are different in the second quest. I didn't know this till making this project, but the second quest overworld actually uses some different screens on some parts of the overworld.

The NES versions have been made 100% authentic down to half-walkable guy rooms, and gray subscreen mini maps, as well as every single rule being off (Except "Use old-style warp detection (NES movement only)). There will be a basic Koten version as well. I will be releasing an RC soon, and hope people may give it it look to test some things out. You will be able to look around the quest files as well. I will be playing these myself and fixing any game breaking issues before releasing them. A huge chunk of development time is now committed to just testing the quests. It's not easy to play through the same game, a minimum of 4 times consecutively, so I'd appreciate anyone taking the time to play, and test some of these, or at least look around for stuff. After that, it's off to a final release. :)

One thing though, can anyone confirm how the whistle warps work in the second quest off of the top of their heard? In the example 2nd I'm using, the warps all point to the same screens as the first quest. Was this how it was officially? I don't really wanna play the second quest again, just to find the whistle in the official version to check for this. I would think they should point to the dungeons, and maybe it was an oversight in the example, but I want to be sure. I suppose it could have been a limitation in the original game as well.

I still need to complete documentation, and write up the subtle differences in the two versions of each quest.

I will post the individual RCs as they are finished. I hope to get at least one, hopefully two up by today. As a result, I will be taking down the older beta**, and redirecting that thread here.

The final will include the Classic, NES versions of the first and second quest, and a version of each quest in Koten, with NES authenticity, then two more versions of each quest, for each tileset with improvements. That will be eight quests in all, but they are only a little under 1MB each, so it's really not that big (about 7MB total). If size is an issue, then the changes will just have to be made by the players. I am mostly concerned with the NES authentic ones, as I want those to be perfect. The ones with improvements offer me a lot more creative choice making, and diversity.

Thanks again, and stay tuned.

** The version of the first quest found in the other thread doesn't have some changes seen in the pending authentic versions. This includes fully walkable guy rooms, and the mini map using the ZC grid instead of the grey square. There are also a ton of NES fix rules checked.

• KingPridenia and Joca like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

Okay, here is some stuff to download, finally. This .zip includes 3 quest files. Here is what you are getting:

• 1stClassicNES_RC.qst is the Release Candidate for the NES Authentic 1st Quest.
  • 1stKotenUpdated_RC.qst is a Beta for the Updated Koten 1st Quest.
  • 2ndClassicNES_RC.qst is the Beta for the NES Authentic 2nd Quest.

[Download] Updated. Fixed a game breaking warp (or two) in the second quest.

The two Classic quests should be 100% NES authentic. The Koten one is the updated version with 8-dir walking, tons of NES fixes, and other things. I'm gonna turn 8-dir walking off, even in the updates cause it is not authentic, and anyone can turn it back on easily. The final version(s) will include more thorough documentation on the differences, and changes and additions made to both sets for this project. Who would of thought I would have to add tiles to a larger, more thorough version of Classic, to re-create the original LoZ :P

(Edit: I'm talking about adding in non-animated water to the set for the dry lake screens cause the animated water still animated after being cycled, and drained, and adding back in the classic, grey overworld mini map. I also had to add sprite palettes to Koten. For anyone interested, more detailed change info is coming.)

• KingPridenia likes this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

Bumping cause there was an update to the download in the previous post. I missed a few warps in the second quest, but they are fixed now. Also all Abei rooms are half solid in the second quest as well as the first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users