Photo

Screenshot of the Week 509

Joelmacool12 RedTribeLink ywkls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 509 (64 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Joelmacool12
Joelmacool12.png
Welcome to the pathway to the ancient 'Temple of Time'.

RedTribeLink
RedTribeLink.png
What secrets can be found near the frozen lake of the Ancient Pinnacle?

ywkls
ywkls.png
You again? I must say that you and I seem to keep bumping into each other...

#2 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

> Joel made one color appealing.

Hello, my vote.

The other 2 are pretty great too.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:08 AM

I like Joelmacool12's screen. Though I see missing treetops near the top right.

I like the others too. Also ywkls wouldn't the skull decor catch on fire since it's attached to the torch? :P

• ywkls likes this

#4 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:20 AM

Joemacool2012

a very warm welcome indeed to the trail of the time. on the trail the screen is very green and mean, you're going nowhere and would rather go somewhere instead. also the triforce that's green looks wrong, i don't like it. what if god was in your doorway? get outta here, i need this moment to myself

redmanlink

Rock and roll may not be noise pollution, but what you have going on is definitely water pollution, but I digress. The footprints in the snow lead around in a circle, much like the emptiness in our hearts that the snow represents, the off-white to gray color that clouds our minds from progress. Sand is not a roof, and Relic's stupid bulb tree is not a good tile.

ywkls

no offense but i just reviewed 2 other screwnshots and i don no longer feel like fdoing another one. but its not \bad its a dungeon, should probably center your dmap tile and add some detail on the ground. cool bow guy.

• Rambly and Lightwulf like this

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:23 AM

RedTribeLink:

I feel like sand is like dry snow.  It doesn't melt, but could it melt?  If that top right corner of your screen was glass, maybe I could see through your bullshit.

youkls:

There are five skeletons on this screen and none of them are the protagonist.  There is fire on one skeleton, which you do win points for, but if there are really 24 hearts in your game, that's bad.  Also fix your DMap title on the subscreen.

Joel Jo's Bizarre Adventure 14:

What even are those u-shaped rocks?  Were they in Link's Awakening?  I don't remember, because it's been too long since I played Link's Awakening.  That was a pretty good game.  I haven't played it in awhile, because I feel like I've been really busy lately.  Really it hasn't been that busy though, I'm just overwhelmed by my workload and can't dedicate myself to a real emotional experience with a video game, which is probably why my nights are just filled with Monster Hunter.  I just feel drained, you know?  Like I don't have the ability to really give games I love the treatment they deserve.

Anyway, the graveyard in Link's Awakening holds a few strange memories for me.  If you recall, the graveyard proper was not really required to finish the game and it's perfectly possible to miss it during a run of the game since it never funnels you through it.  In the DX version, that's where the color dungeon was if I recall correctly, but I never had LADX, just the original.  The original LA had a really neat sleect glitch that lets you complete the game in sub 5 minutes, which is why LADX is the preferred speedrunning version, but I think the rules for the LADX categories could use some work.  Death warping is against the rules, but if you die accidentally it can save time depending on where the death occurred, which is frankly really silly and puts me off.

Anyway, this screen was a bit monotonous in color but I think it had the best compositiln.  I  can see this screen working in a real game with a few enemies, but I think you should maybe cut down oin the bushes and move the stones more to the outside of the screen to increase space.  Playability is important and enemy "AI" in ZC is too simplistic to deal with complex obstacles, and playes generally don't enjoyu dealing with it either.  Even though games like Link's Awakening may seem simple and barren in their screen design, they understoof the limited areas of a screen and did what they could to allow their size work for the game.  I voted for this screen

EDIT: I apologize for this entire post, and ryan's too

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 25 May 2015 - 01:25 AM.

• Rambly likes this

#6 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:56 AM

Wonderful screenshot RedTribeLink.
You have my vote.
  • Lightwulf likes this

#7 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:30 AM

Joelmacool12 - I gotta admit, I'm not really too fond of the colours used. It seems a bit too much on the green side of things, but hey it's not really too bad. Despite that, it definitely looks like an interesting screen with really neat details and design. Good job.

RedTribeLink - A nice snowy shot indeed. I really like the neat touches with the ice on the water and the footprints on the snow on the bottom left. Pretty good screen, though there's nothing else I can really say.

ywkls - A cool dungeon shot, though maybe if it was less "boxy" then it would look better. Besides that though, it looks pretty nice.

It was close between Joelmacool12 and RedTribeLink, but I think I'll go for Joel this week.

#8 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:34 AM

Nulled. None of these really do it for me.

#9 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

I'm bout to null, the screens aren't bad, just not good. They have they're charms, just not enough to keep me interested screenwise. In the context of their quests it could be different.

The best one for me is RedTribeLink, the sand and that temple killed it.

JoelMacool12: It is almost identical to the 2nd screen in Oracle of Ages, not saying it's a bad thing but I'd rather see something from you, not from Nintendo

I just remembered the screen differently, I would say this average

ywkls: I guess it's average

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 25 May 2015 - 06:24 AM.

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:47 AM

Nulled by vote since I'm in this one.

Joelmacool12- this shot is almost all one color, but it's not bland. I like those little sideways arches. (Or are they graves?) And the triforce symbol on the ground implies a secret to be found later.

RedTribeLink- this was my favorite of the other shots submitted. The snow in the air, the various trees, the water, everything about it is great. I even like the subscreen!

Also ywkls wouldn't the skull decor catch on fire since it's attached to the torch? :P

Yes... unless that Skull decor was just an illusion... in this dungeon, there are some doors that are hidden from the naked eye. Players will note some clues to their possible locations as they travel through. When they investigate, they'll find passages to other areas.

As for the other criticism... I definitely need to adjust my Dmap title. And it's hard to make a screen with two overlapping floors that connect to adjacent screens on both where it isn't boxy. 

@Ebola Zaire- I'm not sure if your review is supposed to be a joke or not. I have twenty-four hearts because I believe that is the maximum amount you can get in a Zelda Classic game. You don't have to like it, of course.

Excellent work by all!

• Shane likes this

#11 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

What even are those u-shaped rocks?  Were they in Link's Awakening?  I don't remember, because it's been too long since I played Link's Awakening.

They were in both Oracle games, in both of their graveyard areas as fences. Link's Awakening didn't feature them in their area. :)

#12 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:38 AM

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

Joel gets my vote!

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Joelmacool12: The palette is gross.

ywkls: The subscreen is gross.

RedTribeLink: Nothing is gross. *Voted*

Okay, I should be a little more serious.

Joelmacool12: The screen design here is fine, but I'm really not fond of the palette. There's also some missing tree tops on the right as Shane pointed out. Also who stuck down a bunch of croquet hoops in the middle of the forest? :P

RedTribeLink: A pretty great screen. Reminds me somewhat of Teamudf's screen design style, maybe it's all the snow everywhere. I only just now noticed the sand on top of the temple. Maybe it's where they store all the sand for sanding the roads after the magic snow plows come through. :P

ywkls: As I said, I'm not a big fan of that subscreen. The DMap title doesn't stand out as it should (could use an outline or shadow effect), the map frame goes off the subscreen, and the Ex1 button's coloring is just ugly. In addition, the screen is rather empty, I don't think the cake layered lower dungeon walls look good (there should be tiles for a third tier of walls in the set), and I don't think the skeleton layered over the torch looks good. I would say at least there's no tile errors, but actually those stairs you use are supposed to connect to the third layer of wall tiles and so there's tile cutoff. You should probably make some custom tiles either for lower level doors for the lower layer walls or stairs that line up with your wall tiles.

• Lightwulf likes this

#14 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Joel - The screen design is decent.  I agree with several others about the palette.  That could be better.

RedTribeLink - It's not that bad, but the design does feel somewhat awkward.  I'm not a fan of that type of tree in the lower right, plus it being cut in roughly half on the edge of the screen.  The boxy ledge on the lower left, along with the rectangular coast mid-left could probably use some better integrity of design.

ywkls - The most rational of the screens designwise.  A sound concept to work with, but I feel it could possibly do even more to attract the viewer.  It's a step in the right direction at least.

My vote goes to ywkls, but I do feel that this week was underwhelming.  The winner, whoever it is, will likely have a hard time mustering up votes in SotM.

• ywkls likes this

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

ywkls - The most rational of the screens designwise.  A sound concept to work with, but I feel it could possibly do even more to attract the viewer.  It's a step in the right direction at least.

My vote goes to ywkls, but I do feel that this week was underwhelming.  The winner, whoever it is, will likely have a hard time mustering up votes in SotM.

Thanks for the vote! As for how to attract the viewer, at some point I feel like I'm just overdoing it. Do I vary the flooring? Do I add in layered edges? Do I add wall decorations? And given the limits I placed on myself due to the dungeon design here, creating a room that spans two floors pretty much limits me to a "boxy" design unless I want to get into the region of creating a bunch of new tiles. In fact, almost all of my dungeons suffer from extreme "boxy"-ness. I suppose I could always spruce up an overworld screen...

• SyrianBallaS likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool12, RedTribeLink, ywkls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users