Photo

Screenshot of the Week 488

Sheik Nekoishi Shane Fireblast124 joelmacool12 Dwarlen Jared EpY

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 488 (73 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

Well, this is it, the final Screenshot of the Week of 2014. It's been a great year, and thanks to everyone who submitted throughout the year to help keep this contest afloat; you guys are the lifeblood of Screenshot of the Week, and your continued support is fantastic, exemplified in this last contest of the year, with eight entries to close out 2014. Thank you all, and see you guys in 2015! :bounce:

Nekoishi

Nekoishi.png

To thou who seeketh treasure: Thou art a fool. Thou art a fool. Thou art a fool.

Shane

Shane.png

The ancient Tower of Hylia.

Fireblast124

Fireblast124.gif

joelmacool12

joelmacool12.png

So many things to do in this screen! You could go up the mountain, bomb the cave open and even go through time! Wow!

Dwarlen

Dwarlen.png

Atop the Gleaming Peaks, Link finds lynels and bats guarding the closed entrance to an unknown dungeon.

Sheik

Sheik.png

Moblins in the Temple Woods! Madness!

Jared

Jared.png

Finding the perfect theme can be so hard...

EpY

EpY.png

Link sets foot on a new journey for 2015

• Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 5 others like this

#2 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

This is one of the best SotW contests ever! I went for Sheik for the end of the year. This screen is so sexy. :D

#3 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

Weeeelp someone entered on the wrong week. Oh well, better luck next time? Voted for Fireblast.

I guess I can throw in my two cents of what I think of the other competitors?

I feel sheik's is a bit visually cluttered. My shot is definitely the same way, but that's due to me using background options to

Spoiler
Perhaps I'm just not used to seeing the tileset?

Joelmacool's shot is cool. All those things you mentioned that you can do seem to be cluttered together. In my opinion it'd be nice to space them out a bit across the screen, like say have the time warp thing ( I'm assuming that's what the black spot is) between the lower two lamps instead of right next to the other things.

Edited by Nekoishi, 28 December 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#4 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

Weeeelp someone entered on the wrong week. Oh well, better luck next time?

That's okay! It happens to me too, you know. But yeah, better luck next time! ;)

#5 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

So many choices, they're all so good.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

Even if I did not enter, I would have nulled because they are all too good. I especially like Sheik's and Jared's; you two are crazily amazing at screen design. I think Sheik's Temple Woods is fine. The cluttered look gives that overgrown and ruined feel. I don't exactly think it's cluttered to begin with anyway. Jared's is nice and peaceful looking. It looks like it could be a part of a climatic intro similar to Twilight Princess. To get such a huge impression of one vague shot is difficulty, so kudos to you on that one. :P

My shot isn't exactly anything special. It's just a screen from my catacomb tower dungeon that you will climb twice during your adventure. I was going to add Link and enemies but I'm in the process of spriting them. 

#7 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

mine is the only vote for Jared's?  wow.

#8 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:30 PM

No contest. Sheik

-Strike

#9 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

No contest. Sheik

-Strike

Seeing stuff like this is really discouraging to me. At least give us some criticism if you're going to sweep us all under the floor like that.

• Rambly, Moosh, Jared and 1 other like this

#10 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

Sorry. :(

Sheik's is just a really fantastic shot that I like a lot. You don't have to take things personally and think of me as an antagonist. :( I didn't say I disliked your shot or that it was bad

If you want criticism: your shot is pretty nice. The new tiles look great. I can tell you want to make the place look intimidating. You do this by placing the player outside their comfort zone. It's a fine shot.

Ehh.

• Plutia likes this

#11 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:25 AM

Picked Fireblast124.

I loved all of this week's shots equally. I was in a more fun mood tonight, inspiring me to pick the shot that had the most fun with itself, which was Fireblast. I probably would've nulled otherwise.

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

All of these shots are amazing. They are equally as great and all of them are very unique, each with their own interesting themes.

If I had to vote, I would have to vote for either Shane, Jared, Sheik or EpY... but after longer inspection, I decided to finally vote for Sheik with that gorgeous shot. Everyone else did amazing this week.

• ZeldaPlayer likes this

#13 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

Lots of very good screens here.  Don't worry, I still won't chicken out of voting. :)

Nekoishi - At a first glance I didn't understand how this screen functioned, then I woke up after a few seconds.  A very active sidescroller with plenty of attention toward background detail, which blends in nicely with everything else.  I like how the screen has some symmetry to it, but isn't perfectly symmetrical.  Very good usage of some light colors in a generally dark screen.

Shane - I love dungeon screens like this.  It's gameboytastic too!  Did I invent a word?  Ah, and those switch gates.  I really love those walls, and the attention to details on the floor is very sound.

Fireblast124 - Animated gif screens are quite rare in SotW, especially ones that animate for longer.  I like that.  Now for the star attraction for SotW: the actual screen itself.  Well, ..., I like that too.  Great detail for classic style graphics, and I love your attention to shades of brown.  Even the darn bridge blends in nicely.

joelmacool12 - You were not bored when you made this screen.  It's not bad.  You certainly have tough competition for this contest, though.

Dwarlen - I had the hardest time coming up with the right words for this screen compared to the others.  I like what you are doing in general.  It looks like a winter screen that takes place around dusk.  If that was your intention, you did well in portraying that.  The top of the cliff part feels a bit awkward.  Perhaps leaving that one tree out would make more sense, and I'm not sure about the eyeball statue.  Perhaps those were quick decisions.  Despite all that is thrown into this screen, I do like how you maintained an open space near the entrance, so at least the parts where Link can walk are not crowded.

Sheik - Now this just aims for perfection.  You make it very hard to find fault, so I simply gave up at that.  This is my vote for SotW, but that is certainly not to downplay many of the other great screens in this contest.  I smell a SotM winner out of this one too.  Possibly even SotY.

Jared - Yes it is hard.  This has very good details from you like often is the case.  Great sense of where things should go.  Again, love the road tiles.  One thing that I find questionable is the darker palette.  If it was your intention to simulate night, dawn, or dusk, I'll admit it looks more like a cloudy mid-day seen through sunglasses.  Perhaps it just might be the brewing of a storm?

EpY - Yes he does.  Today is the first day of the rest of his life.  All adventure starts from the front door of his house.  Fantastic graphics and details, and great usage of shades of green.  This was my second favorite screen.  No votes from anybody yet?  I'm surprised.  Perhaps people got screen viewing fatigue by the time they got to this one. :P

• Shane, ZeldaPlayer and EpY like this

#14 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

Wow! All these pictures are amazing! Too bad I cant vote!

#15 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

Wow! All these pictures are amazing! Too bad I cant vote!

I thought you can.

• Shane likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik, Nekoishi, Shane, Fireblast124, joelmacool12, Dwarlen, Jared, EpY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users