It's a Goatastrophe!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

It's been over a month since my last update. I've been looking for a new place to live, and not that I've gotten that figured out, the relief has inspired me to do some ZCing. These are the goats that I've been avoiding working on:

QIXNXMi.png

I also tried to make new Lynel enemies, since the ones in all the other tilesets are just... too.. cluttered or inaccurate. It is hard to make Lynels, because they are a very detailed enemy. Lion head, torso, two arms, 4 legs, and a tail. That's a lot to put in a 16x16 space. I actually want to make 32x32 Lynels at some point, but I first need to make sure I can autoghost 2x2 enemies the way I want. But again, that's really feature creep, and it's not like Lynels are key enemies in the quest or something. It would be better to just let it go and spend that time working on Beamos or bosses or Myus, Kus, Maus, Moas, and Megmats. Get with your Zelda, people!

Feel free to stencil yourself some goats from mine if you like. (Damn my proprietary palette!)

::July 9, 2014:: {
Finally got the screen transitions to work! Apparently the screen stops scrolling before Link->Action stops not being LA_SCROLLING, so there are a few frames of rest after the scroll. This was causing the lamp to render erratically during those final frames, revealing secrets and darkening light rooms.
}
::July 21, 2014::{
Longer break to visit relatives and watch Game of Thrones. I guess I also played some Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. But none of that matters today!
Tried to fix the lamp shading issues. There isn't an obvious way to easily crop a rectangle with another...
}
::July 22, 2014:: {
I fixed the lamp shading problem by manually computing the bounds on the transparency rectangle. I was hoping for a more elegant solution, but I'm not that smart.
I also started work on a Torch FFC script, but that will probably run into the same problems, since I can't draw clipped rectangles during scrolling very easily. Maybe I'll need to rearrange my variables, or even go with the "registered objects managed by global script" route on this one.
}

::August 11, 2014::{
Got good goats... great golly!
}
::August 14, 2014::{
Finished up the goats. Made them more goaty and less little-horsey.
Started work on new Lynels.
}
::August 16, 2014::{
Finished new Lynels. Maybe they need some more refining later, but for now they are pretty neat.
}
::August 18, 2014::{
Add some more soldiers with capes. They have a more regal, authoritative look that way.
Imported most of the enemies into the tileset. I added entries for almost everything, even though most of the enemies won't work, they have slots and art, with a few exceptions.
Imported the remaining enemies and bosses. Rearranged the enemies in the editor by giving them a name-letter prefix so that they can be found by name. Originally I had used the power score, but that makes it difficult to find enemies when you are adding them to screens, so I opted for a name-based system. Power scores & flags are still there to be used though.
- Enemies with the 'I' flag are meant for interior screens.
- Enemies with the 'E' flag are meant for exterior screens.
- Enemies with the 'B' flag are bosses. (Has "Never Returns" flag checked.)
- Enemies with the 'N' flag are not placeable.
So for instance, and enemy that has G-[2:I] is a 'G' named enemy that would work well in an early level. In fact, that code is assigned to the Gel (Fire) enemy.
}

Edited by RetraRoyale, 19 August 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

Cute enemies. Inspires me. Impressive work ethics.

Now run for president

#3 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thanks. A lot of times, you just have to sit down and do these things. The hardest part is often just opening up the editor.

Edited by RetraRoyale, 19 August 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#4 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Really great work you got here Retra! I just saw this quest project and I'll be able to follow it! :D Impressed so far, and I see this is a descendant of DoR right? (Or at least it seems :) )Anyhow, looking to more of this!

#5 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

It was originally meant to be an ALttP tileset in that it should allow you to do anything ALttP does, graphically. I've changed a bunch of stuff, but it's still thematically intact. It is not a DoR descendant because it is built from scratch. Nothing in this tileset is compatible with any other tileset, at far as I know. This whole thing is 8-bit.

#6 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

It was originally meant to be an ALttP tileset in that it should allow you to do anything ALttP does, graphically. I've changed a bunch of stuff, but it's still thematically intact. It is not a DoR descendant because it is built from scratch. Nothing in this tileset is compatible with any other tileset, at far as I know. This whole thing is 8-bit.

DoR Hybrid might be able to use them, as the tileset is changed for ZQ 2.5 and it uses 8bit tiles.

Also those goats probably could be colored to fit into DoR/Hybrid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users