Photo

Screenshot of the Week 411

Dawnlight Ventus Bagel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 411 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Ventus
Ventus.png

Dawnlight
Dawnlight.png
How do I get to Kakariko Town?

Bagel
Bagel.png
I like A Link to the Past a lot.
The Bari and the pits do work.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

Voted for Tri. Ventus's is cool, but kinda square-ish. And Bagel's... yay, you copy paste a screen from LttP with basically no changes. Tri's is the best by far this week, even if it does seem like I've seen these kinds of shots time after time.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Ventus- I know you can do better than this. There's nothing special about it and the grass is used sub-parly. The gravestone is in the wrong CSet...and a ghost in the overworld? Near the gravestone makes sense, but even that looks like it's just stuck in there. 2/10

Dawnlight- I love it, but the palette is too bright and neon. It's pretty gross, and wouldn't be amazing to play in. Something slightly softer would work better. 

On another note (Nothing against you, Dawnlight), how come if Dawnlight makes an overworld screen, it's suddenly the best thing since sliced bread? I noticed that with all of his shots. If someone else made a similar screen, they would be called "average, overdone" and slap a 5-7 on it.

8/10

Bagel- I like it, but it IS just aLttP is ZC. I commend the work, though. But that doesn't deserve more points. 5/10

Voted for Dawnlight.

#4 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ventus- I know you can do better than this. There's nothing special about it and the grass is used sub-parly. The gravestone is in the wrong CSet...and a ghost in the overworld? Near the gravestone makes sense, but even that looks like it's just stuck in there. 2/10

Well... Hmm how to respond...  I can see how the grass was used "sub-parly", but how is the gravestone in the wrong CSet,

And as for the ghost, there's ghost in a lot of Zelda overworlds, Z1, LTTP(DW), LA, OoT.

I don't really see whats wrong with the ghost being there... 

On another note (Nothing against you, Dawnlight), how come if Dawnlight makes an overworld screen, it's suddenly the best thing since sliced bread? I noticed that with all of his shots. If someone else made a similar screen, they would be called "average, overdone" and slap a 5-7 on it.

Um... Most likely because its good.

#5 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

8/10

Because he's a good screen designer, and he has his own unique pizazz-factor. 

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Haven't done one of these since I temporarily took over, whoops...

Ventus - I think it's a good shot, other than the square water that bugs me, lol. The palette on the dirt, grave, and underbrush seem a bit off; specifically, I think the underbrush is a bit off. Otherwise, looks good.

Dawnlight - It definitely does seem a bit "same-y" compared to other screenshots we see from you, but that doesn't make it any less good. It's functional, it looks nice, and is the best of the week. Voted for it.

Bagel - While it's nice that you've functionally recreated a screen from ALttP in ZC, it doesn't exactly scream "original," and as much as I love ALttP, I can't really vote for this. :?

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Voted for my RPG buddy Ventus! Although I do admit that the screen looks very unnatural the way everything is laid out.

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Ventus:
ventussotw411.png

Looks pretty solid. The only real problem it has is the coloring of the gravestone. 7/10

Dawnlight:
dawnlightsotw411.png

It's a decent screen, but I feel like in this and more or less all of your screens, a lot of its strength lies in that nifty subscreen. When I cover that up it just looks like an average screen...But hey, it looks pretty good in Classic!  :tard:  6/10

Bagel:

bagelsotw411.png

It has that LttP nostalgia factor, but other than that it doesn't have much. It's still an okay screen, though. You went for the nostalgia vote and you did a decent job I'd say. 6/10

I didn't really feel sure about any one screen, which is why I decided to demake them all in Classic. After a couple times switching my vote around I finally decided I liked Ventus' shot the most. I should demake every SotW in Classic. It really helps me clear my mind.

• Ben, The Satellite, Air Luigi and 5 others like this

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I feel like there is partially an effect to how you judge a screen based on who made it.  Obviously, screen design trumps overall, but seeing who made the screen can often be that little shift over that would make you judge it higher than normal, usually; likely because it might be someone you're friends with or you admire.

But who knows!  I'm not an expert on the subconscious.

Ventus: The palette isn't really pleasant to my eyes, I feel like the pink/red vs. the green is too contrasting from each other rather than complimenting, and the forest brush is much too different than everything else presented- it just looks like it belongs more in Pure, rather than TMC.  It's a little too boxy too, but I feel like that's just the MC effect.

Dawnlight: Kind of have to agree with Jared here.  It's not a bad shot by any means, but not too special either.  The depression in the center sort of irks me for some strange reason, but I don't think that's really a problem to the design itself, I just don't find myself fond of it.  Part of me wants to say there's a decent bit of style clashing, but I can't really tell or not- I'm not fond of the bushes, at least- their shading doesn't blend well with the screen, and the enemies' shading looks off, too.  The palette is a bit neon-ish; it's sort of difficult to look at.

Bagel: That sure is an ALttP shot.  Still, my vote goes here- even if it's unoriginal, at least it still looks good. No complaints here. (Fix your Link tiles and align your sword sprites correctly, dork)

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

I voted for Dawnlight.  It's not a great shot, and there are maybe some space problems with fighting those enemies, but I felt like Bagel's and Ventus' entries were just sort of empty.

#11 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

WTF Moosh. lol

I voted for Dawnlight.  Great work! :D

#12 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:25 AM

Moosh hahaha :). I voted for Ventus, but I liked all the screenshots almost equally.

Edited by Hoff123, 20 May 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

So looking at the SotW entries the way they aren't meant to look is the new cool thing huh?*

Ventus:

goWqLRq.png

The sky is a little empty, the grave looks mysterious though and makes the screen interesting. 4/10

Dawnlight:

OMdhQUb.png

Ditto with Ventus, but I love the addition of the dirt. 5.5/10

Bagel:

TBdTyVu.png

I like it, a very nice remake of LttP. But maybe more detail in the background? IDK, still looks good. 6/10

--

I actually voted for Dawnlight because it's designed very nicely. Well done.

*The ratings aren't real nor is the critique. I really like those screens though guys, well done. :thumbsup:

• Hergiswi, nicklegends, Russ and 1 other like this

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

I feel like there is partially an effect to how you judge a screen based on who made it.  Obviously, screen design trumps overall, but seeing who made the screen can often be that little shift over that would make you judge it higher than normal, usually; likely because it might be someone you're friends with or you admire.

In addition to that, if you see a pretty good screen from a ZC newb you'd automatically vote for him, even though one of the other screens would look a bit better.

Well, this is a great week! I like each of the screens and it was hard to decide what to vote for :O Wish I could vote for everyone.

I think Ventus screen looks the best, because I like the tileset and I don't see it very often.

Edited by Avataro, 20 May 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#15 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Chances are you're most likely referring to me in this quote based on what everyone else stated. I'm not offended at all by this quote. I actually agree with it for the most part. If a questmaker keeps getting away with nothing but a boatload of compliments just because they have a strong ego or the compliments come from close friends of the questmaker, sorry to disappoint you pal, but there's no way they could make improvements because they are so blinded by an endless sea of compliments. Compliments and Critique are two very different things. That's a route I choose not to follow. I WANT people to go hard on my screens. Critique is one major essential to how a questmaker evolves.    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dawnlight, Ventus, Bagel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users