Photo

Screenshot of the Week 393

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 393 (55 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Jared
IPB Image
How come I always the take the screenshot when the enemies kiss?

Dragonite
IPB Image
On the Day of the Solar Eclipse, the dead awakens to cause mischief.

Keiichi123
IPB Image
Link ventures to the cold north. (Lol Pols Voice on subscreen)

Lightwulf
IPB Image
After passing under Lord Jabu-Kiro's uvulva, Link finds someone's remains. "Ewww! Looks like one unlucky visitor. I'd better be careful so I don't end up like HIM."

Sheik
IPB Image
Fairy Fountain

#2 SubconsciousEye

SubconsciousEye

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Pictures are broken?
EDIT: They are fixed now. Disregard this post.

Edited by Fireblast124, 25 December 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

No, I just hadn't uploaded the images yet. I got drawn away from the computer for a moment. They're there now. icon_smile.gif

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Screenshot of the 393. Interesting title. icon_naughty.gif

I voted for Sheik for being the most unique of the bunch. And I freakin love that subscreen. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Dawnlight, 25 December 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

1st Place: Sheik
(Reason: This is all around gorgeous; pretty palette, amazing graphics, relaxing feel, one of the best Fairy Fountain screens I've seen.)

2nd Place: Keiichi123
(Reason: Everything is nicely design, the tent is questionable as it lacks snow unlike the rest of the tiles, which would seem unnatrual unless that tent was recently placed there (by the looks of that fire, I can almost believe this).)

3rd Place: Jared
(Reason: You and Keiichi were shoulder to shoulder, both are awesomely designed and close-to-perfect DoR screens. I just favored Keiichi's slightly more because I like what Keiichi has going on with his screen.)

4th Place: Dragonite
(Reason: All-around a nicely designed screen. Don't think this screen is bad because it's not in my opinion, it's just that the other shots have more SotW quality in them. With that said, you are one of the best GB screen designers on my list.)

5th Place: Lightwulf
(Reason: Um, uh. I don't know what to say honestly. My thoughts on this screen are as empty as the screen itself. Works for a quest perfectly, but SotW? No. Nice concept though.)

Edit: Yes, I am trying a new method for my ratings. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Shane, 25 December 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#6 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Wow, I'm totally outclassed these days. icon_razz.gif

I'm going to say this simply, and say that Shiek and Lightwulfs' shots are the most bland this week, however they are quite creative which saves them a couple points.

Jared and Keiichi's were also quite nice. Hadn't I entered, this would have been a very tough choice. icon_razz.gif

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Sheik I hate you. icon_razz.gif

#8 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I voted for Dragonite for superior screendesign over the others. No fancy tiles or originality is required to get my vote.

hr[/hr]

Jared: Good screen but I see several issues with it. One is how, in the top left corner, the borders of the floor of the castle roof are sitting right on the top screen border. This can cause walkability issues, particularly if the quest rule 'Smart Screen Scrolling' is disabled. Fix this by raising the borders to the screen above. Still a good screen. 6/10.

Keiichi: I can see a promising screen here but I also have several complaints. For one, the falling snow obscures the screen and makes it feel considerably more cowded in a bad way. Either edit the falling snow tiles so that the number of snowflakes drop to 1-2 per tile or don't have them at all. There is also a bush on the bottom edge of the screen - get rid of that because not many people like scrolling onto bushes when they enter the screen. Its not bad, but it needs some improvement 5/10

Lightwulf: Easily the weakest screen this week for being the most empty and most monotonous colours. First, edit the palette. I would go and import another dungeon palette into CSet 3, prefably one that is more reddish, and use that for the the floor. While we are at it, make the surface of the tounge more interesting by prehaps putting 'lumps', as in tastebuds that are solid in terms of walkability, on it. This really needs improvement. 3/10

Shiek: Fancy graphics =/= good screen. To be honest, I find fairy fountains to be some of the least significant screens in ZC because 99% of the time, they only serve as a place to restore your hearts. I see nothing of significance here except a nicely-dressed up fairy fountain. Think of ways to make it more usable like having walls to bomb or a secret room behind the fountain.
3/10.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Jared: The screen design itself is just about perfect. The problem is the tiles... they just look weird. The way the castle walls disappear on the side just make everything look kinda flat... I'm not sure if I'm explaining it really well. It just seems off.

Dragonite: I have no complaints. Nice work.

Keiichi: It's beautiful, and it got my vote. Nice work.

Lightwulf: It looks exactly like how it's supposed to look. Not much else to say. Nice work.

Sheik: An interesting collection of tiles pulled together quite nicely. Good work.

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 25 2012, 06:29 PM) View Post

Jared: Good screen but I see several issues with it. One is how, in the top left corner, the borders of the floor of the castle roof are sitting right on the top screen border. This can cause walkability issues, particularly if the quest rule 'Smart Screen Scrolling' is disabled. Fix this by raising the borders to the screen above. Still a good screen. 6/10.

You cannot walk up there. But it does look a bit strange in general, I'll fix it. Thank you for the critique.

Shiek: Fancy graphics =/= good screen. To be honest, I find fairy fountains to be some of the least significant screens in ZC because 99% of the time, they only serve as a place to restore your hearts. I see nothing of significance here except a nicely-dressed up fairy fountain. Think of ways to make it more usable like having walls to bomb or a secret room behind the fountain.
3/10.

How do you know the fairy doesn't give Link an item or an upgrade? That's a really bad assumption, especially with 2.5.

QUOTE(Russ @ Dec 25 2012, 07:03 PM) View Post

Jared: The screen design itself is just about perfect. The problem is the tiles... they just look weird. The way the castle walls disappear on the side just make everything look kinda flat... I'm not sure if I'm explaining it really well. It just seems off.

I'm going to fix the side a bit. Thanks, Russ.

#11 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 26 2012, 08:59 AM) View Post
I see nothing of significance here except a nicely-dressed up fairy fountain.
> Screenshot of the Week is now known as Most Significant Screenshot of the Week.

Also, how much progress have you done on your quest Keiichi? I'm still looking forward to it. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Shane, 25 December 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#12 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE(Shane @ Dec 25 2012, 10:23 PM) View Post

Also, how much progress have you done on your quest Keiichi? I'm still looking forward to it. icon_razz.gif

Well, things are going pretty slow. Life is a big distraction. It's still at really early stages in development, but it's looking good so far if you ask me. I gotta fix a shit-ton of errors in design, then maybe I'll release more info and an official thread and if we're lucky, possible a short demo icon_smile.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 26 December 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Jared - Honestly, I feel this is the best shot this week. It's simple, pretty, appealing... the top-right corner feels like it could use more, and I'm not really a fan of that diagonal water/land tile in front of Link on the right side of the water, but otherwise, it looks nice.

Dragonite - Very good, very solid, nice work. icon_thumbsup.gif

Keiichi123 - It looked nice at first glance, but closer examination showed some inconsistencies. Mainly in how you dispersed your ground tiles. It seems haphazard and unnatural; why is there broken wood there? Shouldn't that campfire be closer to the tent? Just fix these up, and it'll be perfect.

Lightwulf - It's... pretty lifeless. And the difference in floor tiles don't make a ton of sense. It needs something more... but I don't know what. Also, "uvulva." Uh... what's on your mind? icon_razz.gif

Sheik - Honestly, not a fan of this. It looks fine, but not beautiful. Something about the two, er, chips in the ground (the darker patches below the statues) being on the same line just feels wrong, I don't really care for the wall tiles at all... Heck, I think the floor kind of clashes with the rest of the shot. icon_unsettled.gif

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 26 2012, 12:29 AM) View Post
3/10.
The Fairy Queen is part of a side quest. All other great faeries give Link ammunition upgrades if he manages to find (or rather to enter, finding them isn't really the hard part) their fountains.

Also, while I apprciate all and every comments I don't feel like 'fancy graphics =/= good screen' is giving me partically much constructive input. I appreciate comments such as TS's much more. While I for example don't agree with him on his opinion concerning the two decor tiles in front of the pond that serve as an indicator where to stand at, he still managed to get his point across in a much more elaborated fashion. Basing your rating on what the ZC standards are doesn't really seem to do justice to the individual either, to be honest.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am not ranting here all of a sudden because I think you should have voted for me (I think everybody should've voted for Dragonite, who has the best screen this week IMO) but because I enter SotW in hope of useful comments. The comments are much more important than the votes. The voting thing is just a way to motivate people to think about the screens, state what they like and/or dislike about them and thus give the designers some input how to improove their screen design.

And in that regard I didn't get much else but a negative vibe from your comment. icon_shrug.gif Apologizes if I'm simply not seeing/getting your point.

#15 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

@Shiek:
I judge screens mostly on how they function in the quest and there was no way, judging on the screen alone, that I could for certain see it as more than just a simple fairy screen which we see in a bazillion other quests, hence my pessimism. Overworld and dungeon screens, as a rule, give the player multiple interesting things to do like attacking enemies or simply walking through to get to a new... screen. Your screen only has one: talk to the fairy as part of the sidequest. Understand that.
I, however did go a little far with the 'fancy graphics=/= good screen' comment, but I feel that the fancy tileset/graphics thing is very overrated. What I care for more is the design of the screen rather than the graphics. Don't get me wrong, but good graphics do help a screen for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users