Photo

Screenshot of the Week 379

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 379 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

Ventus
IPB Image

-DuCkTApE-
IPB Image
Links travels through the frozen plains of Hyrule

The Satellite
IPB Image
Feelin' the vibe... All that's missing is 16x16 NPCs.

#2 ZeldaLink

ZeldaLink

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

I voted for -DuCkTApE-. I think that the screenshot looks the most appealing. I didn't vote for the others because their screenshots look ordinary.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

Ventus: It's good. Kinda crowded, but it works.

Ducktape: It might have been a good screen, but you used the mountains all wrong. They just... Disappear. It's not at all how they're supposed to be used. It destroys the perspective and makes absolutely no sense.

TS: It's not bad, but it's not really great either. Just kinda... Eh. It feels like a generic LttP town, but without the feeling of life.

While it's not the best screenshot in the world, Ventus's won my vote.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 27 2012, 02:43 AM) View Post
Eh. It feels like a generic LttP town, but without the feeling of life.
I was actually hoping to get some NPCs in, but the ALttP has none, so I'll have to rip those in later, and I was running out of time on this shot as it was. Hence the caption.

Also...
QUOTE(ZeldaLink @ Aug 27 2012, 01:58 AM) View Post
I didn't vote for the others because their screenshots look ordinary.
QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 27 2012, 02:43 AM) View Post
TS: It's not bad, but it's not really great either. Just kinda... Eh. It feels like a generic LttP town, but without the feeling of life.
I was hoping that would be the appeal. icon_frown.gif

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

Well, as a normal screenshot it's fine, but for SotW, I expect something that'll make me go "wow", and I really didn't see any of that this week.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 27 2012, 04:13 PM) View Post

Ducktape: It might have been a good screen, but you used the mountains all wrong. They just... Disappear. It's not at all how they're supposed to be used. It destroys the perspective and makes absolutely no sense.

Actually Nintendo themselves used them like that too.

Voted for TS because it looks different and fresh from most shots we get now-a-days.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(Shane @ Aug 27 2012, 12:31 AM) View Post

Doesn't make it any more correct. Nintendo's used their own graphics incorrectly on multiple occasions. icon_razz.gif

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

Like A Link to the Past. Which reminds me: If I actually get something made out of this, and there are tile errors: Deal with it, those are inescapable and/or I was too lazy to edit the tiles to make them better.

I'll get around to thoughts on my competitors later on; I'm a bit unable to compose criticism at this time.

#9 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

I'm going for -DuCkTApE- here. It's a screen that sticks to a theme, has detail, but isn't cluttered.

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE(Shane @ Aug 27 2012, 12:31 AM) View Post

I will admit that the mountain use in that map isn't pretty, but the difference between that map and
-DuCkTApE-'s shot is that in the official map, we have ground that could plausibly have a slope in
elevation. In -DuCkTApE-'s shot the ice would have to be sloped, and since water seeks out a level
surface that is not plausible, at least not to that degree.

Ventus shot is nice, but feels like the design in the center is... undecided.
I have a distaste for those hybrid trees, but that's probably my own problem.

TS, I have a suggestion, remove the northern-most fencepost surrounding the house.
That way the house will look taller than the fence. It's affecting the perspective so that
the roof of the house has the appearance of height in the front, but not in the back.
So yeah, I'd change it unless these are like hobbit houses that are partly underground.

I sound harsh this week. I don't really mean it that way.

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

I voted for Ventus.

I would have voted for TS, but it's missing one important thing. Where's the WATER!!! boss who gobbled up all the villagers?

#12 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 27 2012, 09:26 AM) View Post

Well, as a normal screenshot it's fine, but for SotW, I expect something that'll make me go "wow", and I really didn't see any of that this week.

Besides that, the mountain height changes without any proper indication. It looks really off.

That made me vote for Ventus. Out of these 3 screens it's the best, in my opinion, but it still ain't that appealing.

The Satellite's screen is a little too tranquil, lacking action and detail.

#13 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

It was a nice turn out this week icon_smile.gif Great job guys!

-DuCkTApE-:
Looks but the perception looks a little off on the upper left. But good job icon_smile.gif

TS:
My vote went here! Its LTTP graphics man.. I'm a sucker for these graphics >_<
If you add some sprite's to it. It'll be fantastic! Great job icon_smile.gif

#14 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

I voted for -DuCkTApE- because, other than the perspective where the mountain meets the ice, it's a nice screen.

Besides, if you look at the height of the mountains, starting from the right and going left, it hints toward a slope. But I do concur with what others have said; ice/water probably wouldn't flow the way shown. If I were you, I would've continued the mountain to the upper-left corner and placed a frozen waterfall on it.

... I think I know what that screen was initially created for! icon_wink.gif If I'm right, I've done the exact same thing once before.

@Ventus: Nice screen. It's kinda' open. Looks like it's a screen you'd pass by when finding your way to a forest dungeon or something.

@TS: Very reminiscent of LttP's Kakariko Village. It could use some people, though, like you've stated. (If there weren't supposed to be people, it would look more run-down than it is. That is, unless you want to use enemy NPCs and claim that they're very good at upkeeping a village. For my quest, I just have monsters living in cave structures; but hey, it's just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.)

#15 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Ventus: Seems ok but generic 5/10
Ducktape: Good but the mountain was put in a weird way but i hate rules so go for it 8/10
TheSatelite: Ughh i hate A Link to the Past.... 0/10(I am unable to rate it in a non-subjective way, sorry!)
Most of all i hate Link's pink hair...

Obviously ducktape got my vote.

Edited by aaa2, 27 August 2012 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users