Photo

Screenshot of the Week 377

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 377 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

Keiichi123
IPB Image
Link clims the dangerous Falkore Heights to find a Sacred Relic at it's peak. (Credit to Yoshimi for palette)

Dawnlight
IPB Image
The journey begins with the help of an awesome friend!

Ventus
IPB Image
Yay! Winter!

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

I null'd.

Keiichi - The layout's okay. But the palette just makes the entire screen look cluttered. If I were to vote, this would be 1st.

Dawnlight - I like the design of this as well. The palette, however just literally DESTROYED it for me. The grass looks neon and unappealing. It really ruins the mood for your game in my eyes. 2nd.

Ventus - You really need to get off the straighte water thing. It doesn't look very good. The mountains are too straight, and the tall grass is used wrong. I like the grass details however. 3rd.

Sorry for being so harsh this week guys.

Edited by Jared, 13 August 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#3 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE(Jared @ Aug 12 2012, 11:34 PM) View Post

I null'd.

Keiichi - The layout's okay. But the palette just makes the entire screen look cluttered. If I were to vote, this would be 1st.

I'm not sure how a palette could make a screen look cluttered, but okay.

Anyway, I have no idea why, but my screen isn't using Yoshimi's palette, and yet, I credited him Woops icon_razz.gif

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

Keiichi123: Very nice solidly built screen. Love the mountain layout, very natural. The palette is awesome but I think it's more suited for something more forest-y. That and my other gripe is the bridge tiles. 8.5/10

Dawnlight: I really like the this screen. The tile choice is well picked and the detailing is perfectly balanced. Not to mention I simply love the palette (all though I personally think the grass greens can be toned down slightly.) My only real complaint, though, is the green-ish flowers. 9/10

Ventus: To be fairly honest, this is my least favourite this week. Everything feels so straight, the palette makes the flower tiles hard to see and the house on the edge bugs me a lot. Not to say, it is a fairly functional screen, because it is. 7/10

Good job this week guys! icon_smile.gif

#5 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

Damn, these are sexy shots.

Keiichi123: This is a great shot. I hate the tall grass, but I always have (and always will). I actually don't have any complaints otherwise.

Dawnlight: This screen is nice as well. It looks very natural (or at least as natural as pig warriors can be).

Ventus: Again, I hate the grass, but it's a very pretty winter palette. This is yet another nice shot, though the angular water does look a little bit peculiar.

Keiichi123 gets my vote this week. Great work, guys!

#6 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(Shane @ Aug 12 2012, 11:44 PM) View Post

Keiichi123: Very nice solidly built screen. Love the mountain layout, very natural. The palette is awesome but I think it's more suited for something more forest-y. That and my other gripe is the bridge tiles. 8.5/10

Yeah, I need better bridge tiles. Not a full sized bridge, but more like a plank of wood over a flowing stream.

And I meant to use Yoshimi's palette, but I forgot to change it in the Dmaps when taking a screenshot icon_razz.gif

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(Jared @ Aug 13 2012, 12:34 AM) View Post

Ventus - You really need to get off the straighte water thing. It doesn't look very good. The mountains are too straight, and the tall grass is used wrong. I like the grass details however. 3rd.

I was never on a straight water thing. and I would like to know how did I use the tall grass wrong. I don't see a wrong way to use it?
I've been using it like I thought it was supposed to be used icon_unsettled.gif
Well since you are the Tileset master I'll keep trying until I get it right apparently.

And I Voted Dawnlight, the screen looks great and the palette is just the best thing EVER!!! icon_biggrin.gif

#8 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

I voted for Ventus. His jus kinda caught my eye.

Keiichi, the screen looks okay, but it still just looks like every other DoR shot I've seen.

Dawnlight, your screen looks pretty good, but it still looks like every other PR shot I've seen.

I don't mean to sound like that guy, but I guess I'm just a sucker for different.

#9 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Aug 13 2012, 01:39 AM) View Post

I'm not sure how a palette could make a screen look cluttered, but okay.

I'm not sure "cluttered" is the right word, but I see what he's talking about. It's very bright and the contrast seems slightly off. Consequently, the screen looks incredibly busy. The shot itself already has a lot going on; that's fine. However, the palette seems to intensify it and make it difficult to look at. That's my take, at the very least.

Dawnlight: This shot has a similar problem. Although it's not as busy, the bright green palette makes me think more of limes than of grass. The design is fine, though.

Ventus: The screen has a lot of angles, and there's a little too much ground detail. In addition, something about the trees in the top right bother me, though I couldn't actually tell you what. They just seem to clash with the rest of the screen. However, I like what you were trying to accomplish; my vote went here.

#10 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Fausch @ Aug 13 2012, 09:16 AM) View Post

Keiichi, the screen looks okay, but it still just looks like every other DoR shot I've seen.

I am going for a simple "DoR" look. Nothing to fancy. But I try to change things up here and there.

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Keiichi123 - After some deliberation, my vote went here. It's well-designed, has a nice palette, and even distribution of detail. I guess I can sorta see what others are saying about the palette making it seem "busy," but I don't think that's really a problem. Good work.

Dawnlight - A solid, functional shot, though something stands out to me about the pine trees on the path, and not in a good way. I feel like the one to the right of where Link and the moblin are is kind of superfluous, and I bet the shot wouldn't suffer if you removed it entirely. Otherwise, nice shot.

Ventus - I don't see a problem with either the water or the tall grass. In fact, this shot very much looks like something you could actually find in a game. The only issue I see here is I feel like there might be a slight bit of style clash, mostly with the mountains and the dirt borders, but otherwise it's fine.

#12 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Keichi: Very nice screen. I also like that palette of Yoshimi's. You won my vote this time.

Dawnlight:Nice screen,but that grass palette looks kinda strange,but that's just me icon_razz.gif

Ventus:I like your screen because MC is one of my favourite Zelda games.

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Keiichi123 - I have problems with the greens in this palette especially how the top of the tree goes
to pale orange instead of a white-green or light yellow-green.

Dawnlight - That grass looks over-saturated, but the design is solid. voted.

Ventus - Love the colors, but there's not really anything going on here. It's too empty.

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Aug 13 2012, 10:20 AM) View Post

I was never on a straight water thing. and I would like to know how did I use the tall grass wrong. I don't see a wrong way to use it?
I've been using it like I thought it was supposed to be used icon_unsettled.gif
Well since you are the Tileset master I'll keep trying until I get it right apparently.

I think I said that because you made water in another screen straight. My bad, apologies. icon_smile.gif Tall grass is meant more to be used clumped together, not separated in the way you did. But again, it's not justified.
And I'm not the tileset master! I just stated my opinions is all. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Adem @ Aug 13 2012, 11:36 AM) View Post

I'm not sure "cluttered" is the right word, but I see what he's talking about. It's very bright and the contrast seems slightly off. Consequently, the screen looks incredibly busy. The shot itself already has a lot going on; that's fine. However, the palette seems to intensify it and make it difficult to look at. That's my take, at the very least.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you, Adam. icon_wink.gif

#15 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Aug 13 2012, 04:25 PM) View Post

I think I said that because you made water in another screen straight. My bad, apologies. icon_smile.gif

No problem icon_wink.gif

Tall grass is meant more to be used clumped together, not separated in the way you did. But again, it's not justified.

Oh okay, I didn't think about that I was just doing a test run of it and it looked good to me, But I'll try to do the tall grass a different way the next time.

And I'm not the tileset master! I just stated my opinions is all. icon_smile.gif

Oh I know, I was just joking, Hahaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users