MC Tileset

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:19 AM

Ok, so I finally got all the base sprites I need for Link. Spent forever ripping them myself  :dead: (the ones on Spriter's Resource -the ones I used in the previous version of this tileset- turned out to be full of errors, mistakes, missing pixels, etc.)

These are all straight from the game (minus a few frames that had to be dropped) and they are all positioned exactly in relation to each other (which means I had to line up the sprites to the in-game grid horizontally and vertically when I captured them) EDIT: splash graphics aren't aligned yet. The "hold up item in water" sprites and the bottom row of splash graphics are the only sprites I made edits to. The sprites are all recolored, but there is no color loss (except in the bottom row of splash graphics).

These aren't ready to be brought into ZQuest just yet, there are a few more edits I have to make, along with some repositioning, but the heavy part of the work is done, and I needed to make a save of this version anyway, before I make any further changes.

25rjluv.jpg

EDIT: Hmm, it appears the diving/floating/swimming sprites only use 2 graphics, not 3...

Edited by Cukeman, 24 April 2016 - 08:12 PM.

• Shane, Sheik, Jared and 3 others like this

#62 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:43 AM

Looks really neat! Are they 8-bit tiles, or do you only need a single CSet for them? If they only need 1 CSet, you think you'd want to upload them stand-alone to the site? I found that Minish Cap graphics look pretty nice in Firebird (I found a Deku Tree done in edited MC tiles, that made a beautiful setpiece to a map I was making, and it fit in really well), but trying to rip them myself was a pain.

• Cukeman likes this

#63 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:21 AM

Link himself fits into a single CSet, these are 8-Bit because the water details (and the shadow) will be using additional colors from another CSet. If you want them to be purely 16 color, it's not too hard to simplify them. If you'd like I can upload them (after I make the final adjustments)- the only thing is that all of Link's items (like the sword and hookshot) have to be rearranged to line up with Link's hands, so they're not instantly compatible with just any tileset.

EDIT: Abei progress: http://www.purezc.ne...=48694&p=995784

Edited by Cukeman, 26 April 2016 - 10:22 PM.

#64 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

OoT inspired minimap styles:

35jdo8z.jpg

Left: Z1 overworld map with starting point marker.

Center: Example overworld area with entrance/exit markers.

Right: Example dungeon with entrance/exit markers.

• Shane, Sheik and Jared like this

#65 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:45 PM

This is looking pretty fantastic! The minimap palette is really mellow and I'm impressed how you got Link's sprite into Zelda Classic. That must've taken ages. X_X

As for your Abei, does he really need to be 2 sprites tall? Are you doing that so that he's properly layered? If so, there's an easier way to accomplish that! First, make a 32x32 Abei tile for each direction. Put him down as an NPC, then Extend his sprite so he takes up the entire 32x32 tile. If Link's x position is greater than Abei, draw Abei in a layer below Link. If Link's x position is less than Abei, draw Abei above Link.

Presto! Abei now uses a single sprite and behaves exactly like in your screenshot. This method of layering can be generalized to anything and is very common in games.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 04 May 2016 - 07:46 PM.

• Jared and Cukeman like this

#66 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

Thanks DDP! Actually, getting MC Link into ZC is fairly straghtforward once you have all the sprites. I'd like to try your NPC suggestion, but I don't know how to do that.

Edited by Cukeman, 22 May 2016 - 05:04 AM.

#67 Spacepoet

Spacepoet

Initiate

• Members

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

are these link tiles 4x4 or edited for 2 tiles tall? I ripped a lot of link stuff from MC and FSA and edited it for 16x32 16 color, then put it into Koten for my quest, and was planning on throwing the original rips and palettes up at some point.

Edited by Spacepoet, 04 May 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#68 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

are these link tiles 4x4 or edited for 2 tiles tall? I ripped a lot of link stuff from MC and FSA and edited it for 16x32 16 color, then put it into Koten for my quest, and was planning on throwing the original rips and palettes up at some point.

These Link sprites are all 2 tiles wide and 2 tiles high, but in ZC you have to line each one up in the center of a 3 tiles wide and 2 tiles high space. They are essentially 16 colors with some exceptions: http://www.purezc.ne...=54729&p=995577

Edited by Cukeman, 04 May 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#69 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

They have to be 2x2, because Link holding the shield won't really look right otherwise.

#70 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:22 AM

That's very nice. May I ask what you progress on the overworld and dungeon tiles is? You seem to have been focussing on setting up sprites, mostly.

• Cukeman likes this

#71 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

That's very nice. May I ask what your progress on the overworld and dungeon tiles is? You seem to have been focusing on setting up sprites, mostly.

I've made some progress on the Hyrule Field overworld area- basic stuff like cliffs, grass, bushes, rocks. Haven't touched the dungeons.

You're right, my primary focus is on Link sprites, item actions, the items themselves, and subscreens. I'm pretty much just adding in the overworld tiles and enemy sprites when I want a break from my primary focus. Since I overhauled my palette I'm gonna have to recolor everything I'd done in the previous version of this tileset, so there's still catching up to do.

And I've thrown in a few scripts. For instance all Flowers combos are now Flowers->Next combos, and Link can climb up scalable walls like he does in Minish Cap.

For precise details on my progress I've been keeping the first post of this thread updated, and there's even a download link there that I've been updating a lot if you wanna look around the .qst file.

Edited by Cukeman, 05 May 2016 - 02:28 PM.

• Sheik and Jared like this

#72 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:08 AM

Aha! Very nice Cukeman. Would love to put together something playable in this tileset once more resources are available.

Really, very great effort. Keep up the good work!

• Cukeman likes this

#73 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

...continued from OP (post length limit reached)

Quest Rules (Zelda 3-esque Edits)

Scripts

Notes

Misc. Credits

For more info, check the MCBasic Development Doc

Edited by Cukeman, 12 August 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#74 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

Alright, half a zillion years and edits later I finished all the Link sprites  :blind:  :lazy:  :eyeitus:  :cry:  :dead:

For instance, the only Shield pose Link does in Minish Cap is the crouching strafe... Link never does a crouching strafe in ZC... that's a lot of edits... also, Link's sword moves up and down when he does a charging strafe in Minish Cap, not in ZC... more edits. Whatever, it's done.

(Falling and Drowning sprites haven't been tested yet, but everything else is implemented and working.)

vfh5xk.jpg

• Anthus, Sheik and Jared like this

#75 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

Screenshot Update #1:

I've been making a lot of progress, and I just wanted to share:

Scalable walls, friendly (and unfriendly) River Zoras:
2whgfuq.jpg   10rmuzd.jpg

A little landscaping:
lzkt0.jpg   bhyh37.jpg

Aggressive Octos:
2u750yt.jpg   fazdl.jpg

A mostly done "Abei":
2edscbs.jpg

One of the less obvious plusses is that a tileset with larger sprites set up is easier to modify into other graphics than the default set would be. Granted the colors in this palette lean towards the high saturation of MC, but edits are possible (and this is just trailing off into a rambling paragraph so I'll stop).

Screenshot Update #2 ->

Edited by Cukeman, 20 July 2016 - 11:45 PM.

• Anthus, Shane, Sheik and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users