Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Aug 11 2012, 03:58 AM) View Post

Update time again. I've got most of the subscreens done:

IPB Image

There are still a few additions and slight changes I need to make,
such as a map frame, some texturing, etc. and I haven't done the
charging Link sprites yet, but it's very close to the first release.

The first release won't included tiles, enemies, or NPCs. Those will be added later on.
I've already completed all the items, misc sprites, and Link actions (except charging).

Hey, could I rip the Triforce frame tiles? Feel free to say no icon_smile.gif
Looking great so far, by the way.

Edited by Keiichi123, 15 August 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#47 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

(Keiichi123 @ Aug 15 2012, 09:29 PM) View Post

Hey, could I rip the Triforce frame tiles? Feel free to say no icon_smile.gif
Looking great so far, by the way.

Well, the Triforce frame is still a work in progress, but sure, go ahead, and thanks.

Edited by Cukeman, 05 May 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#48 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Can someone post some screenshots?

#49 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

This post has been edited by Cukeman

Edited by Cukeman, 26 February 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#50 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

There's a heavily unfinished MC set in the database I believe, You could possibly rip some tiles from that.

#51 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Edited

Edited by Cukeman, 24 June 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#52 ShadowPC

ShadowPC

Where is ma hearts?

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

Really nice. Its really good. Works fine for me in RC4.

#53 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

This post has been edited by Cukeman

Edited by Cukeman, 26 February 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#54 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Ahh Cukeman, good to see you back! I remember there were some great tiles in this set!

#55 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

Update time. I've totally revised all my palettes:

nl5ysw.jpg

EDIT: Image updated 4/18/16

The left side shows my previous version, my new setup is on the right.

Old:

181 colors

At least 8 values between white and black

0 available CSet 6 colors

0 available CSet 9 colors

Doesn't use CSets 12, 13 or 14

New:

240 Colors

At least 10 values between white and black

4 available CSet 6 colors (used for Link's tunic)

10 available CSet 9 colors (one of which is for shadows)

Uses CSets 12, 13 and 14

I'm using the 16 colors in CSet 14 as a second "CSet 9", which will give me additional level colors*, but the downside is that CSet 14 is limited to the number of choices in both Extra Sprite Palettes (30, minus the ones Ganon might use).

*(This requires the use of hidden 'dummy' enemies)

I've decided to call my tileset "MCBasic" because (at least for now), I'm not concerned with things like ground detail (short grass, path details, non-slashable flowers, etc.), house furnishings, or anything that's purely decorative essentially.

The reason for this is because I want to get a functioning tileset out there people can use to actually create quests, and those types of decorative elements are best made available as separate (external) graphics sheets for quest makers to choose from and decide which they would like to appear in their quest. Especially considering ZQuest Editor's limited number of tile pages (252).

Also, I've decided to provide a download link to the in-progress version of the tileset in the original post (it's updatable). I'll still let you know about any official releases/milestones, but for now you can always just check in and see where I am. This will make the project easier to discuss, and will also make whatever assets I have available to you guys before the next official release/milestone is reached.

Edited by Cukeman, 29 September 2017 - 05:12 AM.

• Shane, Demonlink and Astromeow like this

#56 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

That palette, holy titties it is good and delicious
  • Cukeman likes this

#57 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

I have included a Photoshop .act file in the original post. This is extremely useful for anyone editing graphics for use in my tileset (especially since ZQuest Editor doesn't correctly display CSets 12 and beyond [but Zelda Classic does]).

After creating graphics in Photoshop using my palette below (including the black of the background), go to Image > Mode > "Indexed Color..." , change the Palette to "Custom..." , click "Load", locate and select the .act file, click "Open", then click "OK", and then save your image file1. Now you can Grab your image into the tileset (Leeching using Color Depth: 8 ) and, presto! You now have the graphics in ZQuest, and even though anything using colors from CSets 12 and beyond won't look right in the editor, they'll display fine in Zelda Classic2.

Photoshop Color Picker:

2wf7igk.jpg

EDIT: Image updated 4/18/16

1You can work in RGB mode to make use of layers, but final image files must be a single layer (flattened) to be compatible with indexed color (ZC's palette structure).

2Just remember that the tunic colors in the upper left change when you get a ring item, the bright pink to the right is your transparent color, and that any shadows must be colored using the color found in CSet 9, Slot F (the far right green in the row above the very bottom row). CSets 9 and 14 have very specific uses, for more info consult the original post in this thread. If you don't understand their purpose it's better not to use them, none of the other colors (except Link's tunic greens) will change.

With the exception of Link's tunic colors all colors have the following values on Photoshop's Grayscale Slider:

2% (White Only)

8% (Lightest Yellow and Green Only)

14%

25%

44%

58%

69%

75%

81%

84%

87%

90%

94% (Black Only)

The goal here is to not have too many dark, medium or light colors. You want to have a nice variety. You know your colors are too light, medium or dark when your screenshots don't look good in black & white. If some of these numbers look too close together or too far apart remember that Photoshop's darkness and saturation measurements are not precise at all: https://www.youtube....h?v=LKnqECcg6Gw

EDIT 2:

I've created a handy-dandy tool for Zelda Classic:

ColorDebug.png

___What you do is Grab this image into your tileset -any tileset, it doesn't have to use my palettes (my colors will automatically be replaced with your own)- using Leech with 8-Bit Color Depth. Now you have  a 4x4 set of tiles with all 256 colors from CSets 0-15 (yes, even the colors that don't display correctly in ZQuest, but don't worry- they'll display fine in Zelda Classic).

___Now go to your subscreen editor, choose (or create) a passive subscreen, go to Edit > New > Tile Block and select the tiles you just imported. Set the tile width to 4 & the height to 2 or 3 to get the top part of the image, then do it again to get the bottom half, and arrange them on your subscreen so you can see everything.

___Now when you open your quest in Zelda Classic you have a constant display of what's going on in every CSet, allowing you to see when CSets are swapped or overwritten  :)

As an example, here's what my color debug passive subscreen looks like:

2vnkg7b.jpg

EDIT 3:

Small post, but man these rupees look pretty!!

2cco3lg.jpg

Edited by Cukeman, 26 April 2016 - 10:03 PM.

• Shane and Jared like this

#58 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

So, Link's "drowning in lava" sprite options:

1) Use CSet 9 so the lava color can change with each area

Pros: Allows for a different color of lava/goop/muck/acid in each level

Cons: Can't have accessible lava and water on the same level

2) Use Constant CSets so the lava color is always red

Pros: Allows for red lava and water to be used on the same level

Cons: Only allows for one type of lava in the game (red)

...choices

I could always make both sets of sprites and let the player choose between them,

I still have to decide which one I should make the default though.

EDIT: I decided to go with option 1

Edited by Cukeman, 24 August 2016 - 04:23 AM.

• Jared likes this

#59 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

I think the lava that doesn't use CSet 9 should be the default. I can think right off the bat of different areas that would use lava. I can't think of anything that would use odd colored goop/acid without having to draw a whole bunch of additional tiles.

#60 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

One of the things that appeals to me about this project is redesigning default ZC enemies in MC style. MC has a Boulder that works perfectly, but they didn't have a Rock in that style, so I spent a lot of time making a smaller sprite similar in style to the large one. I also hacked MC's Zols and Gels to get as close to the original colors as I could, then made both of the black versions that appear in ZC's sprite sheet. I especially like how they look in the dark. 

5pebr7.jpg

Also an unused sprite I found while hacking a Zol. It seems to be a spider's head above part of its abdomen. It was pretty freaky to see this evil head rise up from a slime patch on the floor. It does make sense to see this enemy though, considering the webs covering the doorways in Deepwood Shrine.

lOS7Uzz.png

There's a lot of cool stuff on this site https://tcrf.net/Cat...of_Zelda_series which I'm going to reference (along with original Z1 art) to figure out the look of more default ZC enemies. It's fascinating to see what they had planned versus what wound up in the game, and compare it to the reimagined versions of later entries in the series.

I think the lava that doesn't use CSet 9 should be the default. I can think right off the bat of different areas that would use lava. I can't think of anything that would use odd colored goop/acid without having to draw a whole bunch of additional tiles.

Either way you can have regular lava on multiple levels, the restriction is not being able to use lava and water on the same level.

Edited by Cukeman, 19 April 2016 - 11:05 PM.

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users