Photo

Screenshot of the Week 354

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 354 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

IPB Image
Link: Just why is this water green? Maybe it's some kind of poison.. but it could also be that someone was too lazy to recolour a palette.

Lightwulf
IPB Image
Remembering when Link awakens Zelda from her sleep at the end of Zelda II...

Jared
IPB Image
Herashe is so serene at night...

Octorockoncrack
IPB Image
Link fights for his life in the lair of the Blaze Cobra!

skateboarder11
IPB Image
More temporary level names. Whoo.

William
IPB Image
Snowy Castle, yo.

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

Avataro, the green water looks wonderful and the screen has a unique vibe with the whole vertical design thing.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

I voted for Avataro - 8/10. Excellent use of elevated mountain tiles.

Lightwulf - 5/10: Looks a little too copy and paste from AoL to me.

Jared - 5/10: Out of all of the DoR palettes, I despise the night palette the most for its flat out staleness. The layout is pretty funky and you could use more gorund detail.

Octorokoncrack - 5/10: Very boxy looking with some perspective issues with those spikes. The walls are empty. Maybe some torches or other objects could spice it up.

skateboarder11 - 6/10: I like the variety, but it's too plain and simple.

William - 8/10: The runner up for me. It's excellent overall, but feels the same as the other shot you submitted last time.

#4 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

It seems to me like it's a pretty mediocre spread this week. Avataro's and Bloodst- err, I mean skateboarder11's shots are the best picks out of the bunch. Lightwulf and Jared's choices of colours (or lack of) just lacks any sort of appeal, but the concept of Lightwulf's shot is good, while Jared's whole screen design just lacks any sort of detail whatsoever, apart from the odd dirt tile chucked in there. It seems like it was thrown together at the last minute. And what the hell is with the highlight colouring in the trees?

Octorokoncrack's screen is my third preference, but even then it's still got a lack of different colours like the previous two screens I mentioned. The room shape really doesn't help its cause either, (normal shaped dungeon rooms aren't usually SotW material in my opinion), but the lack of different colours is what loses the most appeal in my eyes.

I just don't like that tileset William. I'm sorry, but it really has nothing to compel me to vote for it. icon_shrug.gif The tiles seem good for a quest (which I'd probably play and be like "woo yeah this is like being hell retro") but it does absolutely nothing to make me vote for it.

Anyhow, enough negativity. Skateboarder11's shot's is pretty good despite my dislike for classic styled tilesets. Lots of detail, enough colouring to not either bore or blind me. But my vote for this week goes to Avataro who's made a quite nice Dark World styled overworld. The elevated mountains are a nice touch and add flair.

#5 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

I went with Avataro this week. I like the awesomely high mountains you have there. Really gives the feel that you are in a deep valley. Just an overall nice layout of this screen. icon_biggrin.gif skateboarder11 had gotten my vote otherwise. Enjoyable classic shot. icon_smile.gif

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jan 23 2012, 08:34 AM) View Post

Lightwulf - 5/10: Looks a little too copy and paste from AoL to me.

Well, I can understand why you think that. It's not supposed to look too different. The columns, curtains and floor tiles are all the same, but I made half-brick tiles and the stairs are half the size of what they are in AoL, not to mention the triforces in AoL are 16 pixels tall whereas I used Zelda 1 Triforce pieces with an outline around them.
QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Jan 23 2012, 09:53 AM) View Post

Lightwulf and Jared's choices of colours (or lack of) just lacks any sort of appeal, but the concept of Lightwulf's shot is good

I guess that's probably because this is a flashback from the introduction sequence I'm making for my quest. I chose sepia coloring rather than black and white because I thought it would look better.

@Avataro - icon_lol.gif Nice caption! Nice screen, too, of course.

@Jared - I commented in the screenshot thread, but I think this is quite nice as it is.

@Octorockoncrack - Nice dungeon shot! I like the depth under the floor. Now, I could see that it would be quite challenging if those spike things move back and forth in the room, but I can't see if that's the case. Even if they're stationary, they can still be a problem to Link. Anyway, nice job!

@skateboarder11 - Well, that's an interesting mix of textures you have going on there. The purple's the only thing that sticks out to me as odd (meaning the bright purple ground on the west side of the screen). I can't see the screen to the west, but for this screen that purple ground just sticks out. I don't get it.

@William - This screen looks nice. It would be cooler (no pun intended icon_smile.gif ) if you'd taken the shot with Link (and enemies, if applicable) from ZC instead of ZQuest. But what I don't get is: how can trees grow on the castle walls?? If they were in planter boxes or plots of dirt on the ramparts, that would make more sense.
I would also suggest that you add some patches of gathered snow on the upper level here and there; that would add to the appeal of screen. Maybe a little swatch of snow covering the path a little would be nice.

#7 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm thinking William. It could use a bit more variation, but overall, it's a solidly-designed screen.

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Lightwulf - 1 vote = 2.38%
Jared - 2 votes = 4.76%
Octorockoncrack - 1 vote = 2.38%
skateboarder11 - 3 votes = 7.14%
William - 7 votes = 16.67%

Total Votes: 42

IPB Image
Link: Just why is this water green? Maybe it's some kind of poison.. but it could also be that someone was too lazy to recolour a palette.

Congrats Avataro! Great job this week!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users