Photo

Screenshot of the Week 320

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (61 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Furion
IPB Image
Tarm Quarry

William
IPB Image
Link thinks of his home far across the Sea as he ventures to the Northern Temple. Wet and cold, Link enters through the stone gate. Lightening crashes in the distance, and rain falls at his feet.

The Satellite
IPB Image
There weren't enough submissions so I made this poorly-designed one.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Nulled my vote.

Furion - Very nice shot, actually. Though the color of the dirt looks off, and the hammer stump there looks out of place, as does the flower. The flower could just be palette contrast, but it also sorta doesn't make sense. The stump... meh, just looks out of place. icon_heh.gif This would've gotten my vote.

William - Slightly hard to tell what's going on through the rain. I mean, I can tell what's going on, but still. Though it actually rather does look pretty neat. Barely falls to second place here. icon_thumbsup.gif

The Satellite - You're a loser and you suck at the ALttP tileset. This screenshot is a disgrace to the legacy of the best Zelda game ever. icon_evil.gif

#3 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

I'll go with Furion. Great graphics and great palette. And great water tiles!

Williams is great to. It's a great classic screen with good detail and nice colors.

The satellite...yeah...um, no comment.

#4 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

None of them really appealed to me, but meh.

TS, I almost voted for you. Purely for nostalgia reasons, that is.

William, I really like this screen. The one thing that put me off is the rain, it's good, but it shouldn't be so thick. as it is now it prevents the screen from showing it's full potential.

Furion, the colours make everything look like stone, and I'm not a big fan of those mountains. That being said, those ALttP treetop edits are AWESOME. Whoever made those should get a medal. *votes*

(What we learned here, kiddies, is that when in doubt, Ornlu will always give his vote to the guy who uses his tiles. icon_lol.gif )

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Oh gosh, Furion and William both have perfect shots. I'm blown away by how amazing they are. I think I'm voting for William, but Furion came some close. Both are 10/10.

TS, you may be wondering why I didn't include your shot in there. That's cuz it's 11/10. It breaks the scale altogether. So I'm sorry, but I won't vote for you out of fairness towards everyone else. I hope you understand.

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Oh Russ, you're way too nice. icon_razz.gif

Furion - 7/10
Looks very good from a design standpoint. What bothers me though is the overusage of black in the tiles for what I think isn't really meant to be a darkish sort of screen, mainly the black dots in the sand and the black border between the sand and grass. It should be medium rare or medium, not well done. So still a good screen, but the coloring prevented this from being my vote in a close decision.

William - 7/10
Very good classic screen. Love the detail and the sense of purpose. My vote for this week.

The Satellite - 3/10
I want to thank you for contributing by helping get this show on the road after a one week delay. Would have been unfortunate to see SotW delayed for two consecutive weeks. Because of that, I will refrain from criticising your screen, since I know your intent here. 3 for the shot itself, but 10 for the gesture.

#7 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

I vote Furion because look like get advance level for GBC Zelda version. Not regular in game. It like more better than normal. If you know what I mean.

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

TS, if the screen itself was designed only vaguely nicer, I would have voted for you. I can not put my finger on it, but I love the subscreen. And, gosh, how good does it feel to see entire absense of style clash.

Edited by Sheik91, 09 May 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#9 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

So hard to choose this week!
I went with Furion, though. So beautiful.
William's is also very good, too! ;D

#10 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Howdy.

My submission this week is of a somewhat unique tileset mixed with an enhanced GB and LttP feel. If you are questioning the hammer post in the middle of the desert, it is because it links to water ways in Tarm Quarry, west of Tarm Ruins. When pounded, it causes running water to drain, and fill in all the dirt areas.

Not bad William! Though as stated, the rain kills. It should be more dark, but not too contrasting. I am loving the design of your screen. The walkable areas are spaced out perfectly. The trees help balance out this mood of a larger open area. While the collums may not work with the brick tiles, it isn't too bad. The water is average, I think the colors for it should be darkened, as it is overcast and dark.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Furion:
Yours is the best-designed screen, but it the palettes are a little too high-contrast. Specifically, the darkest browns and greens are both a little TOO dark compared to the lightest. I would lighten at least those two individual colors.

And this seems to be a ZQuest shot, so there's no subscreen or sprites. Bad.

William:
I realize you're doing a lot of great things with the Classic set, but I think you're reaching the tileset's limits. I know you probably have a higher opinion of Classic than me, but I think if you improve it much more you're going to have to end up redrawing things into something different from (and BETTER than) the original Classic. I know you're capable of it, but showing those fancier NES-style tiles next to Classic Zelda tends to cause a bit of a clash. I think you'd be better off simply pushing Classic to its limits (which isn't very far) and leaving it there.

And again, there's no subscreen. I don't like that. icon_razz.gif But at least you took this shot in the ZC player, if the presence Link is any clue.

As for this screen, it's a little too busy. The rain in particular doesn't look good in a screenshot. Rain tends to have that problem, since it doesn't FEEL like it's obscuring that much when it's moving, but take a still shot and it's really hard to see what's behind it. Regardless, you might want to thin you rain a bit, because it looks extremely difficult to see through even in-game. Also, make sure you have a very dark palette whenever you use falling rain. The best rain palettes are so dark that they don't look good in screenshots, only in-game (the player's eyes adjust).

TS:
Heh, not really gonna comment on this screen since you just churned it out so the contest could go on, but I will say that it's nice to see a complete LTTP subscreen. LTTP subscreen graphics are not terribly impressive, but ZC is now capable of recreating most of the LTTP subscreen layout, so it only makes sense that someone should do it. Did you do this yourself or has the LTTP tileset been in further development?...

Personally, if someone's going to churn out a shot like this so a contest can start, I don't see any reason why we couldn't just have a two-person contest. Are we worried that it'd be too cutthroat?... icon_shrug.gif

Anyway, I voted for Furion, though I have some misgivings with both of the first two shots. I believe I'm going to withhold my rant about it until later, though, in another topic.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Funny, when I submitted this shot expecting a slew of various comments ranging from humorous to negative on my shot, I never expected anyone to look at the subscreen and go "Ooh, nice work." Well, if you want to know, I did make the subscreen myself. I'm not certain, but there may have been a "ALttP style" option in the subscreen maker, but either way, I know I perfected it myself. I think I started working on making the item-select screen layout identical to that of ALttP's as well, and in fact I think I did get pretty far, but I'm not sure if I completed it yet. I can take a look later on, but thanks for the comments. icon_biggrin.gif

#13 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Nulled. I almost voted for TS, though. Seriously. For the same reasoning as Sheik. I didn't realize how refreshing it was to not have any clash. Not to mention the subscreen is gahhhhgeous.

I don't really like Furion's shot for some reason, and the rain on William's bothers me. In retrospect, I probably should have voted for the latter, because I like it the most, but I just thought it was unfair since I really did want to vote for TS. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Rem, 09 May 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#14 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

voted for The Satellite way to awesome of a screen and um you deserve way more credit than what your getting QQ

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

Voted William.

Furion, tone down the contrast with that palette. The shadows are too dark for a daytime shot, and the highlights are two light for a nighttime shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users