Photo

Screenshot of the Week 315 - Anions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (55 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Don't forget to also vote in 315's other poll!

IPB Image
Link is exploring the Mountains.

Moo2wo
IPB Image
Welcome back to Hyrule...

Yoshidude
IPB Image
Another Simple Village

catfriedrice
IPB Image
Damn burning bats

Saffith
IPB Image
A weighted average of the winners of SotW 280-305 (every one started in 2010). The weight of each image is determined by its percentage of the vote in SotM (which means #280 actually isn't represented at all).

Giggidy
IPB Image
After all these years I thought victory would taste... sweeter.

SpacemanDan
IPB Image
Staring down the glowing eyes...What? A forest temple in the sky?

#2 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

icon_awesome.gif job, SpacemanDan!

#3 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Nulled, cause I'm in it. My favorite here is SpacemanDan's screen, though I would like Avataro's screen a lot more if it had a better selection of mountains.

By the way, the "Caption - " wasn't supposed to be part of my caption.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 27 2011, 04:42 PM) View Post

Heh, my bad. Most people do put "Caption -" in front, and I usually don't copy it, but I guess if you give me enough shots I'll end up messing one of them up. Frankly I'm surprised I didn't forget something stupid like [img] tags or something.

My favorites were SpacemanDan and Giggidy. I'm still weighing them out.

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

I went with SpacemanDan's shot. VERY innovative I must say. Youshidude's shot looks kinda like one of the screens from GM's Lufina Village in terms of structure.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 27 2011, 03:42 PM) View Post

Nulled, cause I'm in it. My favorite here is SpacemanDan's screen, though I would like Avataro's screen a lot more if it had a better selection of mountains.

Really? The mountains that were used in Yoshidudes screen are too hard for me to use, because they can be diagonally.

There are some pretty nice screens. I nulled in both topics.

#7 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Even if you use the original gameboy mountains they would have been better...

And I suppose I've learned a good lesson this week: Don't bother throwing a new tileset together for SotW. Your screen will be under-detailed for it.

Edited by Giggidy, 27 March 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

Avataro: I like it a lot. No problems.
Moo2wo: A little empty, but good.
Yoshidude: It's good.
Catfriedrice: Nice, but the walls are a little straight.
Saffith: A truly novel idea, but I can't tell what I'm looking at, really. Maybe try averaging a few less screens next time.
Giggidy: Good graphics =/= good shot. It's pretty, but very bland, basic, and boring.
SpacemanDan: Perfection. *votes*

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Spaceman Dan's shot was definitely an eye popper :O!

#10 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Avataro: It's nice; I like the palette, the overall design is nice, the detail is nice, and it just sort of comes together nicely. 9/10

Moo2wo: The updated Classic graphics are pretty good, and the overall design is nice, but it seems kind of bland. Maybe it's just the lack of Link and enemies? 7/10

Yoshidude: It's quite good. One thing I gotta mention is that, at least in the top-left corner, you're using OoA treetops with OoS tree bases. It looks fairly awkward. Also, the bottom-left portion of the screen seems somewhat lacking in detail. 7/10

Catfriedrice: It's alright, but the lack of detail on the walls is sort of annoying. Torches will do wonders for them. Also, there isn't much variation in color in the screen. I suggest maybe making the floor a different color? 6/10

Saffith: Saffith, man, I have great respect for you, and the whole ZC community owes a lot to you for doing most of the work on the program lately, but the next time I see another "experimental" screen (or another joke shot, for that matter) out of someone in SotW, I'm going to set a kitten on fire. This kind of thing isn't what SotW is for. 0/0

Giggidy: I can see you were trying to go for a sort of depressing feel, and I kind of like it. Something about it though, just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's that it seems kind of cramped? 7/10

SpacemanDan: Even without the overlaid detail, it's a fantastic screen. The palette is good, I'm still loving the idea of a dungeon above the ground, and it's just a very well-constructed screen overall. 10/10

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

A very nicely put together screen. It feels complete, but not overdone.

Moo2wo - 7/10
Very good for classic standards. Nicely done.

Yoshidude - 7/10
Also very good. Well thought out and meaningful.

catfriedrice - 7/10
Looks like a fun screen to go through. The other shades of blue seem to mix well with the water.

Saffith - ?/10
I chose not to rate this one, since I wouldn't really know how. It's a neat thing you did there, but a conglomeration of this magnitude is bound to not really look like much of anything, except maybe the hint of vegetation.

Giggidy - 7/10
An interesting screen, with very good details. Could use some action though.

SpacemanDan - 8/10
Very interesting indeed. You really sense how this screen is a nexus for many directions. The action and detail is very good too.

Tough call between the first and the last, but voted for SpacemanDan's screen, due to its greater uniqueness.

#12 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

An interesting screen, with very good details. Could use some action though.

What do you mean? It's a still, lifeless screenshot. All of them are.

#13 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

I didn't really take off of my evaluation for it, though. I'm not sure what you mean by "all of them". Typically the screen would at least have link in it, I would think (or whoever the controlled character is), as I try to see it from an "in play" point of view. I neglected to say the same thing for Moo2wo's screen, just to be fair in the same regard.

EDIT: Perhaps you misunderstand me when I say "action". Yes, the screen is still, but something is still happening at that one point in time, thus it isn't required to be lifeless. If I took a photograph of a smiling person, it would be still, but I wouldn't consider it lifeless.

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

Avataro: Nothing really wrong with it...just a lot of space that could have been spruced up, but wasn't... 7/10

Moo2wo: Is that Schwa's tileset? DOWANTDOWANTDOWANT! A very nice screen, but it doesn't really go beyond what I would expect of a classicish shot. IDK if that makes any sense... 10/10 functionality, 5/10 flair. I guess that's a 7/10 average?

Yoshidude: It's just kinda meh. Once again, there's nothing wrong with it, but it just isn't...special. 7/10

catfriedrice: Ehh. I don't really like it. The subscreen, while not really what I'm judging off of looks a bit off and you couldn't have taken the screenshot at a worse moment (damage flash, fireball and enemies clumped up). Well, maybe you could have... 6/10

Saffith: This what is even don't I? ERRORDIVIDEBYZERO/11. Seriously, this is pretty epic, but because it doesn't really look like a quest screen, I'ma have to say I simply can't rate this one.

Giggidy: MC set. I'm not gonna lie, I'm biased against the MC set. The day I give an MC screen a decent rating, Satan will go ice skating and swine flu will make a comeback. 0/10. It's nothing personal. Seriously though, ignoring my seething hatred, I guess I can dish out a 6/10.

SpacemanDan: Nope. Not gonna do it. Not gonna vote for another cliche floating palace shot. Never again. OK I give in 10/10 this is amazing! *A GOLD STAR FOR YOU*

#15 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Mar 27 2011, 09:29 PM) View Post
I didn't really take off of my evaluation for it, though. I'm not sure what you mean by "all of them". Typically the screen would at least have link in it, I would think (or whoever the controlled character is), as I try to see it from an "in play" point of view. I neglected to say the same thing for Moo2wo's screen, just to be fair in the same regard.

Oh, so you just meant having link and enemies on the screen. That much I can do, but I think the sprites would just distract.

Edited by Giggidy, 27 March 2011 - 11:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users