Photo

Screenshot of the Week 307

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (51 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Epic turnout. ._.

Lynker
IPB Image
A screen from a new quest of mine.

Vargen
IPB Image

MarioBrosCom
IPB Image
Cursed forests are all about perspective.

cremeens1000
IPB Image
peaceful scene with a river

Taco Chopper
IPB Image
This is a real screenshot this week~ ~ ~

skateboarder11
IPB Image
I seriously have no idea anymore (the area to the lower right is inaccessible)

ZeeLiam
IPB Image
Link: "Wait, I have to go all the way around the mountain to get to that village just because of this small mound of snow? What is this crap?!? Maybe if I come back this Spring."

Beta Link
IPB Image
Liftin' them pots, beatin' them Zols.

Jimmyb
IPB Image
"Link stalks a young maiden from a distance."

#2 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:33 AM

About time this came around. I was going to submit a sceenshot this time, but I ended up not doing it.

Nine shots makes a real competition. Lets see how they all stack up. icon_smile.gif

Lynker: It is not the best shot I've seen from you, but solid. There are several things that bug me, one of them being how the waterfall is used and another is you didn't use waves crashing on the shore. 6/10.

Vargen: Whoa! What a sunset over the horizon. The sunset hurts my eyes and the ground lacks in detail. I think that the ground should take must of the bottom of the screen. 5/10.

MarioBrosCom: I think this scores a close second to Taco Chopper's shot. A intruging way to put a cursed forest, but I can point out a few flaws; one being that the green trees stand out too much against the pinks and the way the forest canapoy tiles are used. 9/10.

Creemens1000: This is a screen you showcased in the Screenshot Thread. It is well detailed and I can't find anything to critisze, but the fact that this is only a minor edit to one in the screenshot thread really takes it down. icon_frown.gif 7/10.

Taco Chopper: This gets my vote. Simple, great detail, colourful and harmonious equals perfection. 10/10. Voted.

Skateboarder11: A simple, little Pure shot. I can not point major flaws in this shot, but it doesn't stand out as great. 7/10.

Zeeliam: A winter GB shot. Looks friendly on the eyes and works well, but the snowhill's tiles don't line up correctly. 8/10.

Beta Link: This looks like a DoR revamp on a screen from LA. Not very cluttered, but not perfect. I personally don't like the raised tiles on the floor, they just look... odd. 7/10.

Jimmyb: Looks like something from WW. A good coastline scene, but it can take a little more work. I see that the walls going beneath clash with the rest a little, but still a good screen. 7/10.

#3 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

I like Lynker's shot the most.

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

Beta Link and JimmyB stole this week's contest mostly as well vote for Beta Link LA was my second game I played but Jimmyb's great use of sheik's tileset and reminds me of your project day and age.

Also Vargen took the contest too, it really looks like a real zelda game straight from Netenido, simple, effective, and for some odd reason the tree placements are kind of simillar to netenido. Overall your skills are great. But as I said voted Beta Link. But keep going you have talent I know it icon_smile.gif.

Edited by Midnight_King, 10 January 2011 - 06:35 AM.

#5 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

my vote goes to MarioBrosCom

That screenshot is just gorgeous although it was tough cause they were all awesome keep it up XD

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE SUBMITTED SOMETHING! Then it'd have been an even 10 shots! Well, let's get my review on!

Lynker: No open CORNERS D=<! But other than that, the rest looks fine =).
Vargen: I decent horizon shot, but all of those trees toward the bottom shouldn't be at the same height, meaning some of those tops could be moved down a tile or 2 for variation.
MarioBrosCom: It looks freakin' epic!
Cremeens1000: It looks great for what it is, but I can't help but feel something should be in the middle of all that dirt.
Taco Chopper: Looks like it was 1 and 3/4 screens pulled from the GBC, which I like =D.
Skateboarder11: Well the lower right may be inaccessible, but the corner in the top right is still open, and therefore once you get the flippers, it'd be weird. Shut it off with something (cliff, pile of rocks, etc.) and you've got a decent screen.
ZeeLiam: Another great GB shot, but get rid of that open corner in the bottom right. I know that you guys love open corners, but that's a no-no in ZC ._. .
Beta Link: I want to play it NAO D=<! And I've beaten Link's Awakening a zillion times; Your shot is a great remake of that screen =). Link better watch it, if it's that heavy, he'll throw out his spine.
JimmyB: Awesome beach shot! I can't shake the feeling that if the cliff bulged out a tile more on the far right (edge of the screen), it'd look more natural, instead of formed.

Most of the shots were awesome, and it was sorta difficult to choose, but in the end, MarioBrosCom received my vote!

Edited by Koh, 10 January 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

I voted for Beta Link. It has the least amount of flaws when comparing all of the other screens.

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jan 11 2011, 12:56 AM) View Post

I voted for Beta Link. It has the least amount of flaws when comparing all of the other screens.

That's a fair enough reason, but I don't understand what you mean by "least amount of flaws"...?

(I nulled by the way, although MarioBrosCom's shot reminds me of the mushroom area from Mother 3. I would've voted for him if I hadn't entered...)

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

Holy crap, too many to pick from!

Lynker: Not bad at all. Nice.
Vargen: Beautiful, but needs a little more detail. Where are those sky tiles from?
MarioBrosCom: An amazing, well designed forest screen. Good work.
cremeens1000: Probably the best screen I've seen from you. Nearly perfect.
Taco Chopper: Not bad, but the straight cliff at the top bugs me.
Skateborder11: The ideal classic Pure screen. Amazing.
ZeeLiam: Nice, but a little empty in the middle.
Beta Link:Very good, although the tiles hanging over the pits mess up the perspective a little.
Jimmyb: Perfection.

Oh gosh, so hard to choose. I think I'll go for Skateborder, for creating an amazing screen even with basic graphics.

#10 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

hi i'm commenting on screenshot of the week

Lynker: People like the Game Boy Zelda lately! This one has a few flaws that kinda bother me like that miscolored tree and also how there's a straight mountain pushing up against the edge of the screen (which is kinda clumsy and square).
Vargen: Ehhhhh. You've done this before, haven't you? Taken a picture, ripped it into ZQ, resized it, decreased the color depth? The brightness of the sunset does not contrast well with the sunset palette you're using. That, and outside of the sunset, there isn't much to look at. I came here to look at ZC screens, not pictures of pretty sunsets, as much as I admire a pretty sunset!
MarioBrosCom: Man, I know some people are gonna think the palette is funky, but I actually like it. I dig the pink in general, though, especially that particular shade of it, so perhaps my opinion should be taken with a grain/pinch/truckload of salt. And I actually like the way the minty green contrasts against the pink. I do wonder about the floating forest brush like right in the middle (top-left but close enough whatever) of the screen, though. Seems kinda unnatural to me personally. #3.
cremeens1000: Well, it's a fairly decent DoR shot. But there are so many fairly decent DoR shots out there that I'm beginning to run out of things to even say about them.
Taco Chopper: It's all Game Boy Zelda-y! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Captures the essence of those particular games really well, I think. Better than your last screen, anyway. Probably my second favorite here. Cliff's kinda straight but I guess that's going to happen with GB Zelda. icon_frown.gif
skateboarder11: Seeing the Pure tileset again kinda gives me a feeling of nostalgia, but the rain really really detracts from the shot, as does the pretty standard palette. It's solidly composed, but it feels like it's missing something that I cannot put my finger on. Besides corners. To be honest I didn't even notice the upper-right one that everyone else seemed to complain about.
ZeeLiam: This one's actually really good for GBZ too. Blah blah blah open corner whatever I don't care about that, but it's pretty and wintry. I like pretty and wintry.
Beta Link: It's um, interesting, but something strikes me as off about it. The palette here is funkier than the pink one is to me. Pretty good for a dungeon shot though!
Jimmyb: Perfect. This is like exactly the atmosphere I've been trying to aim for in ZC. I had the idea in my head of like a BS/DoR/Pure/whatever fusion that looked exactly like this but you've beaten me to it and executed it much better than I ever could have! So you get my vote and a cookie and a gold star and a pony and whatever.

THERE. I AM DONE.
bye everyone

#11 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Wow, Everyones was amazing! I didn't know I'd have that much of a competition this time!
I voted for MarioBrosCom. Although the palette is kind gross, it's still a beautiful screen. As for everyone else,
they are amazing to! Vergen's screen has a beautiful background, but much going on. Lynker's is a pretty good
EZGBZ screen. Taco chopper's screen is a huge step up from last weeks sotw. Skateborder11: is that
a screen from Light of the heavens? No I'm just kidding. It's a pretty good screen but not much going on.
ZeeLiam: It's a nice winter screen but it kinda lacks detail and your other winter screens are much better.
Beta Link: Great dungeon screen that really reminds me of RPG games.
Jimmyb: Great screen that looks a lot like it's a wind waker screen. What tileset is that? Or is it a custom tileset?
Anyway, I liked them all and should have made a more detailed screen if I knew that the screens in this one were going to
be so good.

#12 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

good stuff, this week! there are plenty of areas of "wow" -- including a great background in one and a nice palm tree in another -- but said I'd vote for Cremeens' and I am doing that.

#13 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Jan 10 2011, 11:42 AM) View Post

good stuff, this week! there are plenty of areas of "wow" -- including a great background in one and a nice palm tree in another -- but said I'd vote for Cremeens' and I am doing that.

Well thank you for that vote then. But if you like another screen more, it's okay to vote for them.
But I guess that's to late now icon_razz.gif

#14 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

obviously. I liked yours best. guess I really like that screen. very Zelda.

#15 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

MarioBrosCom is best one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users