Photo

Screenshot of the Week 292

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (46 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

Daemon
IPB Image
Cave, keese and octoroks? Yeah, been there, done that.

Sephiroth
IPB Image
Link: What have you for me, o' great fairy?

ZeeLiam
IPB Image

Ebola Zaire
IPB Image
A little water never hurt anyone.

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

I love the Minish Cap tiles that Sephiroth used. I'm voting for him because I like the fairy too.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

Oh where do I start this time? They are all nice screens, but some can still be better than others. A vote for any of them would certainly be well understood by me.

Daemon - 7/10
Another great trip down Gameboy lane. It all seems to work very well. Those pillars seems to be in the best position that I can imagine, when considering what is around them. Ground details look just right. Not too bland, and not too overdone. My only criticism is that it isn't the most interesting screen of the bunch for this week.

Sephiroth - 8/10
The fairy fountain is certainly the main attraction here, and it looks very nice and well placed, but that alone certainly doesn't make the whole screen, or any screen with such a prop for that matter. The rest of it does the right job of trying to keep the focus on the fountain rather than away from it, and the color choice of the walls look great too. The tile floor seems to compliment it well also. The pillar placements seem to be where they need to be, with the closest two actually contributing to the fountain look. The walkway certainly enhances it too. My only criticism is how the edge of the fountain is still much brighter than the floor around it, making it seem a bit out of place just about there. The much greater brightness for the fairy herself, on the other hand, is much better justified. Ideally, a distribution of the dimming effect away from the light source could easily turn this into a 9 or 10 for me, if it's at all possible to do. It might not be.

ZeeLiam - 7/10
The overall design is very good, with the ground, water, and elevation details all being well done. Just one awkward point for me: Too many tree colors. See how it looks if you just stuck with the two shades of brown, since those seem to work the best with the palette you chose. Multiple shades of one color can look very beautiful, often more so than exploring a much larger scale of the spectrum, but I am sure a whole book can be written on that subject. The screen coloring should primarily revolve around the chosen palette, unless perhaps something is meant to stand out on purpose, such as revealing a secret.

Ebola Zaire - 8/10
A fine example how shades of one color can make a screen look great. Sure it's green, which is a safe bet for a lush overworld screen. I'm not a huge fan of sharp corners (the puddles) being combined with rounded ones, though. In my book, it should be one or the other, but not both, unless you are differentiating between what is natural and what is man made. Other than that, it is a beautiful screen, and this shows that you don't need a boatload of tiles to make it that way.

A tough decision for me. Four great screens, all in their own separate ways, but I decided to vote for Ebola Zaire this time, as I found that the most appealing overall.

#4 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ May 23 2010, 12:49 PM) View Post

Sephiroth - 8/10
The fairy fountain is certainly the main attraction here, and it looks very nice and well placed, but that alone certainly doesn't make the whole screen, or any screen with such a prop for that matter. The rest of it does the right job of trying to keep the focus on the fountain rather than away from it, and the color choice of the walls look great too. The tile floor seems to compliment it well also. The pillar placements seem to be where they need to be, with the closest two actually contributing to the fountain look. The walkway certainly enhances it too. My only criticism is how the edge of the fountain is still much brighter than the floor around it, making it seem a bit out of place just about there. The much greater brightness for the fairy herself, on the other hand, is much better justified. Ideally, a distribution of the dimming effect away from the light source could easily turn this into a 9 or 10 for me, if it's at all possible to do. It might not be.

IPB Image

I've been trying to work on the contrast issue with the fountain, and just recently took the pallete and tried to dim it a bit in photoshop, and I think I did a good job at that.

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I agree that what you did there looks a lot better.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

ZeeLiam winds my vote. That is amazing design! And the level of detail is great! Nice job!

#7 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

All great screens. Makes up for the lack of total epicness is the last one (No offense to anybody who entered, by any means). Voted for EZ this time around, and Daemon was a close second.

#8 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

Ebola Zaire received my vote this time, but Daemon was the runner up.

#9 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Ebola Zaire wins my vote.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

It's very short response time!

Daemon: Too....overdone...
Sephiroth: An uninteresting screen.
ZeeLiam: Too cluttered.
Ebola Zaire: In the words of Migokalle: JESUS, MAN! THE COLORS! THE COLORS!

In lengthened form:

•Daemon's was too basic
•Sephiroth's didn't have much of anything going on...
•ZeeLiam's had much clutter on the screen. Remove a couple trees maybe.
•Ebola Zaire: The palette of the swamp felt a bit bright, but in a good way. The main problem was that Link's sword and the enemy palettes were normal palettes with hard black outlines. If you plan to use unnaturally bright palettes, be sure that EVERYTHING is bright, and I do mean EVERYTHING.

I really didn't like any of these, but out of all of them, Ebola Zaire's won my vote.

#11 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Daemon-It's ok, but not special...there is not enough contrast in the colors, and too much contrast or business in the patterns, imo.

Sephiroth- This won my vote. Lovely mix of colors between the fair and the dungeon she's in...I love the transparent wings and the way she looks illuminated. Nothing too complex, but it's a nice little vignette. I like your tile tiles, btw.

ZeeLiam- I think this is a really nice screen, since there's a little more to it than Seph's maybe I should have given it my vote, but I just thought his was prettier. I think you'r using too many types of trees though.

Ebola Zaire- I love the colors and the trees...but otherwise, meh, I honestly don't see why this is getting so many votes. There's just nothing all that interesting about it. Plus, I don't like how squarish that tall grass looks...it's really bothering me. Don't get me wrong, this is still a fine screen, but not nearly as worthy of winning as ZeeLiam or Sephiroth for my money.

#12 cosmofield

cosmofield

Magical Girl

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

I like the brightness in Ebola Zaire's pic but the water puddles lacks details (I always use a set of relational style shallow water combos) In Sephiroth image, the north wall of the basin seems to be higher than the actual room, but its not an issue. That's indeed a huge fairy in there. icon_biggrin.gif

To be honest, none of the 4 images seems self-qualified but I will vote anyway. icon_neutral.gif

#13 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Daemon has my vote . I am just a sucker for the classic tiles.

#14 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

I voted for ZeeLiam's this time around.

#15 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

I voted for ZeeLiam. I think it's a great usage of the GBC set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users